Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should we position mobs w/ back to group?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Should we position mobs w/ back to group?

Krivilicious
12.23.2011 , 11:51 AM | #1
Are the mechanics in swtor such that we should tank a mob with the target's back to the group?

Thanks!
SPARKLES
= THE FRACTURED FORCE =
Twilight Gamers' SWTOR Dual-Factions Division
[Site] [Forum] [Recruitment] [Republic Guild HQ]

Moondragon
12.23.2011 , 12:07 PM | #2
I suppose you could. As a Guardian, I have a Guard skill that is only effective in 15m range from the person I'm guarding, but considering I'm usually 1-2 meters away from the targets anyway...eh. Including enemy "depth/width", that extra 2-4m MIGHT bring the guarded teammate into the AoE of whatever enemy you have but usually not...so far.

The only big reason I can think of is if something has a forward cone attack, but so far I haven't run into anything like that. I am only on Nar Shadda @ 27 though, so I couldn't tell you about what's ahead.

Tyramag
12.23.2011 , 12:25 PM | #3
I dont think that this is what he ment(or not all of it at least )... Usualy with you attack a mob/boss and you attack from the front the mob can parry/dodge/block ,if the mob parrys the time to the next attack that he does (usualy to tank) is significant less.So the more the mob/boss parries to the grp the more hits the tank gets..thats not so good in many cases...If you attack the mob from behind it dosent parry so the tank gets less dmg/sec on him... On other hand i think that its logicaly that some mobs/bosses will "cleave" all the ones in front of the tank... So yes its better to turn the bosses back to party
May the Force be with you . . .

Kaigen
12.23.2011 , 12:30 PM | #4
I don't think attacking mobs from behind actually helps get around their parry/defense in this game. It might help for allies with position-sensitive attacks, though, and if you lose aggro you'll be able to tell right away. Also, some bosses like to center AoE's on their current target, so being positioned away from the group will keep them out of those.

Jaidan
12.23.2011 , 01:40 PM | #5
mobs get turned around for two main reasons.

the first is to keep the healers and damage dealers out of harm's way... this is of course always important, but seems less so in this game, since alot of the bosses appear to have aoe attacks that don't care what direction the boss is facing.

the second reason is so that melee dps don't have to deal with parries. Since there's no auto attack, this is also less of a concern. Auto attack makes up a significant portion of a melee dps'rs damage in other games, and having it constantly parried is a major dps drop.

With all attacks being activated in this game, having an attack parried will lead to a much lower drop in dps, since the attacks are more strung out and less consistent. Cooldown and resource management will have a much greater impact on dps in this game than positioning.

Not to mention that I've seen bosses (and players) parry and deflect attacks from behind quite a bit (that saber over the shoulder trick).

Emgro
12.23.2011 , 06:37 PM | #6
Main reason I like to tank from the far side of the enemy mob is simple: you can see your group. Much easier to notice loose adds from there.

slacey
12.24.2011 , 08:00 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Emgro View Post
Main reason I like to tank from the far side of the enemy mob is simple: you can see your group. Much easier to notice loose adds from there.
I've done quite a bit of "tanking" on my Sith Sorc with Khem Val. The fact that he can't face things is a great annoyance to me, as the sheer number of bosses in heroics that have conal attacks that they direct at the tank is quite high - and as he usually charges from my position, that means it's pointed right at me.

Granted, I can move out of the way (usually), but I can't force the other people in the group to do the same.

Note this experience is primarily from heroics, not flashpoints.

Zylli
12.24.2011 , 08:34 AM | #8
I think people are over-analyzing this and looking too much to specific game mechanics from other games. It should be looked at from a general game mechanic point of view instead.

The reasons for turning a boss around are to avoid cone-shaped AoEs from hitting your teammates, and allow your DPS characters to use their rear-positional attacks for maximum DPS while remaining in range of the healers. If the tank were to leave the boss facing the healers, not only would the healers be at risk of taking damage from cone AoEs, but also the DPSers might be out of range for heals because the healers tend to set up at maximum range from the tank.

Some games also have positional mitigation such as parry and block which only work from the front, but this game abandoned that idea with the parry-behind-the-back move and shield generators.

Canoftuna
12.24.2011 , 09:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zylli View Post
The reasons for turning a boss around are to avoid cone-shaped AoEs from hitting your teammates, and allow your DPS characters to use their rear-positional attacks for maximum DPS while remaining in range of the healers. If the tank were to leave the boss facing the healers, not only would the healers be at risk of taking damage from cone AoEs, but also the DPSers might be out of range for heals because the healers tend to set up at maximum range from the tank.
This. I've tanked elites/champions that have some far reaching cones.

I know Assassins have at least one attack they use regularly that's only usable from behind.

Tanking mobs with their backs to the group is just generally a good idea, unless mechanics force otherwise.

straytext
12.25.2011 , 12:01 AM | #10
I've done a few Flashpoints and all the Heroics I've come across on my way to... 21 at present.

I've a long history of tanking in all manner of MMOs and I've always turned the boss so their back is to my group. In bullet list form...

1. I know immediately if I've lost aggro (so far not even a concern)
2. My healer is out of AOE Cone damage.
3. Some classes (Jedi Shadow for one) have attacks that can only be used from behind.
4. I can see behind my group to call adds.
5. There are certain bosses with knockbacks where you want your back to a wall (the big thing in Athiss (sp?) does a knockback that is best served with your back in a corner).
6. It's not that hard to turn most bosses.

With regard to calling adds, no one is better suited (given that the boss isn't obstructing your view) to type in chat during combat than a tank. Once you have aggro what else are you going to do? DPS? I kid, I kid.