Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To The Republic PvPers

xMaranathax
06.20.2014 , 08:56 AM | #1
Here is a list of guides that help the beginning PvPer to become better. Although reading these guides will help, the best way to get better is by observing, watching, and keeping an open mind to help from those more experienced. And no, I don't mean just stand around and watch in the WZs. Try to find some good Twitch streams of good PvPers and watch them sometime. :P

Targetting and Hotkeys - Part 1
Targetting and Hotkeys - Part 2
Keybinding
Resolve Bar and When to Use CC Break
Gearing for 55 PvP as a Lowbie
Gearing for 55 PvP at Level 55- currently 1 tier off, may be outdated.
PvP Situation Awareness - Part 1 - Thanks Kym!
PvP Situation Awareness - Part 2 - Thanks Kym!

Alderaan Civil War
Novare Coast

Talyc'jatne
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

xMaranathax
06.20.2014 , 05:35 PM | #2
Also, please share with your friends and guild. These videos may help even the seasoned veterans.

Talyc'jatne
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

xMaranathax
06.22.2014 , 08:20 PM | #3
Added Gearing video.

Talyc'jatne
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

WhistDarkblade
06.23.2014 , 07:07 AM | #4
I think alot of this stuff is real great, and would help alot of fresh 55's if they read it. Will definitely be passing the link around /pvp in TOR.

From my experience usually what Pubs lack is communication and teamwork, and a rather appalling lack of understanding of the point of the different warzones. For the longest time when I was managing <Titans>, we'd have two guys queued up for pvp, in instances of NC, ACW or AH and you'd see routinely 2-3 pub toons sometimes 4 running to cap the main node. (Either turret, or pylon depending on WZ).

In Hypergate this is brutal, when you get half your team running to the node closest to the Republic spawn point you give the Imps free reign to burn down the rest of your team and cap the middle objectives/node. Once this happens the outcome of the match is generally known.

#commfarmers
The Ebon Hawk

Whist || <Republic>

mydogclimbstree
06.23.2014 , 08:41 AM | #5
For newer or infrequent PvPers, I highly recommend these posts (not videos), both by Geldarion.

PvP Situational Awareness Part 1
This post covers the bare basics of:
Number 1: Objective Control
Number 2: Enemy Movements
Number 3: Status of Allies

PvP Situational Awareness Part 2
Number 4: Buffs and Debuffs
Number 5: Healers and Tanks
Number 6: Support Skills
Number 7: To Kill or Not to Kill
Kym- Healer of Phil

wadecounty
06.23.2014 , 09:36 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by WhistDarkblade View Post
I think alot of this stuff is real great, and would help alot of fresh 55's if they read it. Will definitely be passing the link around /pvp in TOR.

From my experience usually what Pubs lack is communication and teamwork, and a rather appalling lack of understanding of the point of the different warzones. For the longest time when I was managing <Titans>, we'd have two guys queued up for pvp, in instances of NC, ACW or AH and you'd see routinely 2-3 pub toons sometimes 4 running to cap the main node. (Either turret, or pylon depending on WZ).

In Hypergate this is brutal, when you get half your team running to the node closest to the Republic spawn point you give the Imps free reign to burn down the rest of your team and cap the middle objectives/node. Once this happens the outcome of the match is generally known.

#commfarmers
I dunno, I think there's a lot, lot more to hypergate than that, and I'd rather have a team that overcommits to cap our pylon at the start of a round than one that ignores it and leaves 1 non-stealther to try to grab it and inevitably be sap-capped on.

The ideal situation in hypergate is you have a stealther cap your pylon at the start of the round, and guard it from 1 or 2 attackers, easily able to call inc before he gets overwhelmed. Assuming both sides have this, THEN you can start worrying about the fight at mid, but I'd say 90+% of hypergates are decided by people getting capped on, not by the fight at mid.

Another serious problem I see in hypergate is people overemphasizing the value of orbs, to the point that they barely try to help the fight at mid. The orbs while technically worth more than a player kill, are more difficult in most cases to cap and take back to your pylon than it is to win the actual fighting. And by ignoring your teammates to try (and fail) to cap an orb, you're only giving them a greater advantage in kills.

Anyways, I could write a book on all the different aspects of hypergate (and it btw is probably my least favorite warzone because of the overwhelming advantage stealth has in it), but just saying, half your team going to cap your pylon at the start of a round really is far from the worst thing I've seen in that map, and in some cases can be beneficial, so long as half your team doesn't stay to defend that pylon.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

Azurestone
06.23.2014 , 10:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
Another serious problem I see in hypergate is people overemphasizing the value of orbs, to the point that they barely try to help the fight at mid. The orbs while technically worth more than a player kill, are more difficult in most cases to cap and take back to your pylon than it is to win the actual fighting. And by ignoring your teammates to try (and fail) to cap an orb, you're only giving them a greater advantage in kills.
Orbs are used to secure the win when you have it, not to turn the tide when you don't.

Briggleworth
06.23.2014 , 11:56 AM | #8
Thanks guys for taking the time to find and post these links. I agree there are things there that can benefit anyone. My only fear is that those that really need this are not the ones reading/replying to these threads.

My main role is normally as a healer. Healing pubside recently at 55, positioning and situational awareness is most definitely an issue. I like to move around lots. Too much according to many tanks that guard me . Anyways, I tend to generally occupy space between my ranged attackers and melee frontliners and then move back and forth according to need. I find that lots of folks pubside really over extend the groups position which wreaks havoc on the whole squad. Melee should not be bypassing enemy lines to attack respawners and then whine that they got globelled and had no heals. Also, I have no idea why commandos and gunslingers are running around within the enemy ranks unless pulled there, in which case you should be backpeddling the hell out. I try and correct this in ops chat when I see it occurring. Sometimes the team listens; sometimes they do not....
APEX / GUERRILLA
Whiskey'Sour / Whiskey'Jax

Whiskey'Shots / Whiskey'Railz

Airmid/ Briggsy

Moontayle
06.23.2014 , 12:01 PM | #9
Ancient Hypergate became my least favorite WZ after one where we double capped one round and denied the other team in another round and lost during x7 because our team was tanks and healers with one or two ineffecive DPS so we couldn't get hardly any points for kills.

Back on topic. I'm working to gear out my Guardian so I can be effective. Will definitely be rough for a bit.
Triggle - Sith Assassin - Ebon Hawk
My books - Spiral X | White Rock

xMaranathax
06.24.2014 , 05:16 PM | #10
Thanks for the links, Kym. I added them to the OP

Talyc'jatne
Aliit ori'shya tal'din