Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WTH Embargoing the Star Cluster pack in 2.8.1???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
WTH Embargoing the Star Cluster pack in 2.8.1???
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AlienEyeTX
06.20.2014 , 01:55 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Well, an answer of "the next pack will be back to the regular drop rates and rarities" would have meant that they are exactly that, back the way they were.
An answer of "the next pack will be more in line with what you are used to in previous packs" could still mean that the droprates are changed by alot... just not as much as they were in this pack.
So it instills no trust with me at least. It still smells like they will be dodgy with the drop rates and unlock prices for the next pack.
What's dodgy about charging more for rarer or limited items?
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

OddballEasyEight
06.20.2014 , 01:56 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It is indeed. And while in most cases, on most days, in most MMO forums.... it's adequate....... given the hole they have dug in the good will of the players on this one means that they need to come clean on this one IMO. No marketing BS... no hedging.... just the straight honest truth.

Now, in leiu of the truth here... at least learn the lessons and put key information about changes to how pack contents are handled in terms of rarity of drop and collections price changes into patch notes.
AND if they are limited time only packs...
I believe them when they say that the packs were to be available only during the Nightlife event, but I don't believe for a second that this pack was scheduled to be embargoed with patch 2.8.1 when the other pack is supposed to be around until patch 2.9 comes out.
This was a premature emergency embargo to bury the problem.

NightEngine
06.20.2014 , 01:57 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
They don't want to pay it, that's why it's dodgy.
"My craft is death."
Darth Rubric, Sith Marauder

ZETA_SCORPII
06.20.2014 , 01:57 PM | #104
This.

OddballEasyEight
06.20.2014 , 01:58 PM | #105
Where did I say that?
I just said that I don't believe that the drop rates and unlock prices will be what we are used to in the other packs because of the wording they used.

I never said that there was anything dodgy about charging more for rare or limited items.

Andryah
06.20.2014 , 02:00 PM | #106
I believe them when they say that the packs were to be available only during the Nightlife event, but I don't believe for a second that this pack was scheduled to be embargoed with patch 2.8.1 when the other pack is supposed to be around until patch 2.9 comes out.
This was a premature emergency embargo to bury the problem.
I agree with you on this. What they did here broke all precedent from prior packs.

Now.. I respect that as the owner of the game, they can make any new precedents they choose in how they deliver content. That part is fine. Keeping it a secret until after many thousands of players have bought packs or even items off the GTN and found out the hard way that they are not going to get the expected returns for their access of pack content is flat out wrong. Set any precedent, any time Bioware......just tell us about it before players sink real money into CCs to go after the packs. Not finding out until after we submit bug reports and then telling us it was all part of their grand plan (which they kept completely secret) is bush league.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

AlienEyeTX
06.20.2014 , 02:01 PM | #107
Where did I say that?
I just said that I don't believe that the drop rates and unlock prices will be what we are used to in the other packs because of the wording they used.

I never said that there was anything dodgy about charging more for rare or limited items.
You wrote, "It still smells like they will be dodgy with the drop rates and unlock prices for the next pack."

I don't think it's a dodgy practice. They should have communicated better, yes. But they aren't doing anything wrong otherwise.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

OddballEasyEight
06.20.2014 , 02:01 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I agree with you on this. What they did here broke all precedent from prior packs.

Now.. I respect that as the owner of the game, they can make any new precedents they choose in how they deliver content. That part is fine. Keeping it a secret until after many thousands of players have bought packs or even items off the GTN and found out the hard way that they are not going to get the expected returns for their access of pack content is flat out wrong. Set any precedent, any time Bioware......just tell us about it before players sink real money into CCs to go after the packs.
It's kinda like raising the subscription fee, but not telling us and just letting the recurring subscribers find out on their bill.

NightEngine
06.20.2014 , 02:04 PM | #109
It's kinda like raising the subscription fee, but not telling us and just letting the recurring subscribers find out on their bill.
Except it's nothing like that. Not even a little bit.
"My craft is death."
Darth Rubric, Sith Marauder

Andryah
06.20.2014 , 02:05 PM | #110
You wrote, "It still smells like they will be dodgy with the drop rates and unlock prices for the next pack."

I don't think it's a dodgy practice. They should have communicated better, yes. But they aren't doing anything wrong otherwise.
Let's use the candy bar analogy for a moment to level some context:

Joe, a candy bar lover, has been buying candy bars from his favorite candy bar company for more then a year. The price and quality of the candy bars has never been in question until one day... Joe buys a candy bar, but there is only half a candy bar in the package and the price of the candy bar has been raised 4x in one jump. Further.... Joe was given absolutely zero notice of the change in candy bar size and price until it came time to pay the cashier AND opened the package. No, check that... he was given no notice about the changes until after he filed a complaint with the candy bar company.

The way they have handled communications on this pack is analogically the same as Joe and his candy bar.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.