Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The last thing we needed was more artificial blocks on content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The last thing we needed was more artificial blocks on content

arunav
06.15.2014 , 01:03 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
45k * 39 is 1,755 million?

That shouldn't even be problem with current rewards from dailies. More characters you have, easier it is to achieve.
You missed the point. Folks attained the appropriate reputation for the BH event by completing contracts/participating in the event.

The weapon you are referring to used to be 250k with the appropriate reputation rank. Now, after it being in place for more than a year, it costs 1.755 million credits.

Your response is a poor counter to the point made earlier in the post, one that you questioned.
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

Halinalle
06.15.2014 , 01:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
You missed the point. Folks attained the appropriate reputation for the BH event by completing contracts/participating in the event.

The weapon you are referring to used to be 250k with the appropriate reputation rank. Now, after it being in place for more than a year, it costs 1.755 million credits.

Your response is a poor counter to the point made earlier in the post, one that you questioned.
Again, they changed because they noticed that players don't do contracts anymore. They just buy them from GTN and be done with it. And let's not forget: "Not enough content!"

So, what's "fair price" for completed contract?
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 3x Assassin (2xP, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

Unchosen
06.15.2014 , 01:48 PM | #23
The devs did the right thing. It brought back some importance to the event, to actually participating. I think things should stay exactly the way they are now. It's good for the economy that completed contracts retain their value. I think it shows appreciation to the people who continue to play this monthly event.

Grayseven
06.15.2014 , 03:55 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post

No, it costs nothing except your time and effort. You can't give a value to something based on the value of something else. Just because people erroneously believe that Completed Contracts have X value does not make the items you buy with those Contracts equal to the value of the total number of Contracts needed for purchase.

The actual value is derived from the value of your time and effort alone. Since I can complete a single Contract in 10 minutes and have 18 toons I can have 18 Contracts in around 3 hours or so if I desire.

What you propose is a false argument in order to bolster your argument.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

AbsolutGrndZero
06.15.2014 , 04:11 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
You mean pay someone else an exceedingly inflated price?
Okay, don't know what server you are on, but say it was the way you want it.

You pay 1,000,000 for that HK-51.

But, with the way it is now... at least on the Harbinger server where contracts sell for only 10-15k each usually, pay only 500-750k. Or less, cause I farmed half those myself. Seriously, unless you are way too impatient or your server's entire economy is whack, they are CHEAPER now.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Transairion
06.16.2014 , 12:16 AM | #26
Quote:
45k * 39 is 1,755 million?

That shouldn't even be problem with current rewards from dailies. More characters you have, easier it is to achieve.
Right, because 250k previously to 1.755 million now is an acceptable jump right? That's almost 8 times more than it cost previously.

Quote:
No, it costs nothing except your time and effort. You can't give a value to something based on the value of something else. Just because people erroneously believe that Completed Contracts have X value does not make the items you buy with those Contracts equal to the value of the total number of Contracts needed for purchase.

The actual value is derived from the value of your time and effort alone. Since I can complete a single Contract in 10 minutes and have 18 toons I can have 18 Contracts in around 3 hours or so if I desire.

What you propose is a false argument in order to bolster your argument.

Summary: "I have a lot of characters so this doesn't affect me anyway"

Unless you have 17 lvl 15 characters, then those previous credit costs were nothing to you anyway. Except now instead of just transferring funds via mail, you admit to having to spend 3 hours running nothing but the event on different characters just to earn 18 BBA.

That's 126 BBA per Bounty Week, assuming you spend 3 hours each day doing at least one Bounty Mission on each character.

Quote:
Okay, don't know what server you are on, but say it was the way you want it.

You pay 1,000,000 for that HK-51.

But, with the way it is now... at least on the Harbinger server where contracts sell for only 10-15k each usually, pay only 500-750k. Or less, cause I farmed half those myself. Seriously, unless you are way too impatient or your server's entire economy is whack, they are CHEAPER now.

Bullsh*t detected.

I am on the Harbinger and the lowest price for a BBA currently is 30k, and that's a single listing. The majority of listings are 50k each.

50 BBA x 50,000 credits each = 2.5 million credits. That's 1.5 million credits MORE than it cost when I bought it directly for credits. They are only "cheaper" if you have an outrageous number of alts and do the event on all of them, and that requires a lot of dedication to do the event's dailies repeatedly.

Funnily enough, if you have that many alts they're probably a high enough level to do Dailies and had an excess of credits to buy the previous versions anyway. So players with lots of alts were BETTER OFF ANYWAY previously.

Don't mistake my argument for "BBA was fine no changes needed", but it needed more BBA rewards for the event currency....

IT DID NOT need to change formerly Reputation-locked items to event currency as well just to try and force people to do the event. This sets a dangerous precedent and who knows what they'll do that too next.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend valuable Grey Helix on freaking Scalene armor, another buy-with-credits item. All those kind of changes do is tell me not to rip myself off and turn a maybe purchase into a "nope".

Here's another question as well:

Who's better off with this change? The players? Pretty sure that's not the case.

Halinalle
06.16.2014 , 02:14 AM | #27
1) You don't want to do anything related to event.
2) You don't want to pay anyone to do anything related to event.

What do you want?
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 3x Assassin (2xP, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

ghoul_drool
06.16.2014 , 02:45 AM | #28
This change comes from the almighty Sleen. When they added the Sleen mount (and the raptor pet) they did this with a contract cost, not a credit cost. And presto, people started playing the event again. I'll remind you that there were content locusts out there who actually managed to do all the achievements AND hit legend within the first WEEK, and by adding a reward that everyone wanted, it gave an extra incentive to do the content. If they hadn't, then everyone who already was at Legend could have bought that Sleen for credits on a whim, which would have been unfun. The point of a game is to strive for something. Not do everything as fast as possible and mull about being bored.

Now, imagine if they were to add, say, a Walker mount next month. Specially decked in camo colours for the BBA. Cost? Well, perceived value is 6 to 10 mil. Let's put it at 200 contracts. See how many people will actually play the event and try to grind for that mount. Gives us something to strive for. Keeps us entertained, busy, doing things, in game. If it were just credits, players already at Legend would have clicked a button and gotten that mount instantly. And continued to be bored pretty much straight away.

Transairion
06.16.2014 , 03:05 AM | #29
Quote:
1) You don't want to do anything related to event.
2) You don't want to pay anyone to do anything related to event.

What do you want?

Correction, I don't want to have to grind for contracts to earn something I already met all the requirements for, I want to pay the actual price that was given for it not a "new and improved" price.

Adding new content = good.

Changing old content to be harder to get because "this is will make people play it more!" = bad

They took the lazy route and punished everyone who hit Legend and rewarded... no-one really. People with tons of alts already had lots of credits, now they just have to put in more time to achieve the same thing.

Quote:
This change comes from the almighty Sleen. When they added the Sleen mount (and the raptor pet) they did this with a contract cost, not a credit cost. And presto, people started playing the event again. I'll remind you that there were content locusts out there who actually managed to do all the achievements AND hit legend within the first WEEK, and by adding a reward that everyone wanted, it gave an extra incentive to do the content. If they hadn't, then everyone who already was at Legend could have bought that Sleen for credits on a whim, which would have been unfun. The point of a game is to strive for something. Not do everything as fast as possible and mull about being bored.

Now, imagine if they were to add, say, a Walker mount next month. Specially decked in camo colours for the BBA. Cost? Well, perceived value is 6 to 10 mil. Let's put it at 200 contracts. See how many people will actually play the event and try to grind for that mount. Gives us something to strive for. Keeps us entertained, busy, doing things, in game. If it were just credits, players already at Legend would have clicked a button and gotten that mount instantly. And continued to be bored pretty much straight away.

Same old same old "I did it all ASAP now I'm bored!" arguement. Who actually does this stuff? Seems pretty obvious they're scumbags, rushing through content doesn't make that content bad and if you do that then your opinion is invalid. If you rush and are bored because you rushed, then too bad, it's your own fault for rushing.

I actually did and often do aim to do stuff ASAP, including Bounty Week. But once I'd achieved everything I didn't grab a pitchfork and claim a lack of content: no, I reap'd what I had sown and had no reason to complain.

Also, my point is not BBA Contracts are bad. Adding new stuff for BBA contracts, a carrot to make you wanna do it is great! I'd openly welcome a walker mount for such a price, would make me actually want to do the event.

CHANGING OLD REWARDS FROM CREDITS TO BBA CONTRACTS IS BAD

New items and carrots is good. FORCING players to re-grind the event for rewards THEY ARE ALREADY QUALIFIED FOR is not a good thing, it is outright a lazy move to artificially extend the content because they don't want to add anything new to the event.

BBA Reputation now serves no purpose, even if you start at 0 Reputation you'll probably hit Legend by the time you actually get enough BBA Currency to buy something pricey.

Customer appreciation is not changing requirement after a long period to make things MORE of a grind to get. If they wanted them to be BBA Currency, it should've been that way from the start. NOT changed further down the line in an effort to increase participation is the least interesting event of them all.

The reason Bounty Week is unpopular had nothing to do with rewards, it just sucks to do. 1 Bounty, 1 Kingpin a day, that's it for 1 week. I would support the BBA currency change perhaps if they reverted it so you could do every Bounty without a limit (like, say every unique Bounty and every unique Kingpin on a Daily basis), but no, it's 2 per day max.

Most of the "event' is actually spent in travel time.

Toweleeeie
06.16.2014 , 03:40 AM | #30
Thank god I bought what I wanted before the change!

Anyway I think comm caps are stupid as well. I think that was one of the worst changes they have made.
Combine Force Melt and Cauterize. Combine Defencive Forums and Defencive Roll. Call it a day.