Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The last thing we needed was more artificial blocks on content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The last thing we needed was more artificial blocks on content

Transairion's Avatar


Transairion
06.14.2014 , 10:31 PM | #1
I am speaking of course about the change made to Bounty Week a little while back, where the BBA rewards were changed from a credit cost and some BBA Certificate costs to ENTIRELY BBA Certificates. The problem?

It renders BBA Reputation almost entirely invalid. All that work grinding in the first few weeks just wiped away, as anything I want to buy now I can't just use my credits on. No, I have to spend BBA Certificates, of which you can only earn 2 a day while the event runs.

On one character, that's 14 a week at max... not even that really, as there isn't 7 Kinpins as at least one of each are faction-specific and that assumes you've spent BBA Certs to unlock all the Kingpins to begin with. That's horrendously inefficient considering you can only earn them monthly.

Previously, you got to Legend Rep then could buy whatever you want. HK customization? 1 mil credits, no big deal. 2 Blaster Pistols? 500k.

Now? That same HK customization costs 50, yes 50 BBA Certs which is the same amount as a Mount. Those Blaster Pistols will set you back around 24 or so BBA Certs now.



All you've done with this change that purely seems to exist because "nobody wanted to do the event anymore" is reward players with dozens of alternate characters, and punish every single person who got to Legend rank with BBA.


"But doesn't the removal of the credit cost help new players?"

You'd think so, but check those prices and how many BBA Certs one can earn during a week. Even if we assume 14 Certs a week IS possible on one character (which it isn't) , that's still 4 months of grinding to earn a HK Customization/Mount. By that point that should probably be 50/55 and have Dailies open to them where grinding 1 million credits is just a matter of time doing Dailies on a, well, daily basis.


The solution that doesn't alienate players would be to allow players to purchase with EITHER credits or current BBA prices so everyone can pick and choose how they want to pay.

Got credits? Use credits.

Got an excess of BBA Certs but flat broke? Use those.

Got both? Use whichever you feel like.

Grayseven's Avatar


Grayseven
06.14.2014 , 10:52 PM | #2
There have been a couple of threads on this already. The general consensus is that the change brought Bounty week rewards in line with the other event rewards.

Truthfully, it was needed to keep the event used. If you didn't have to collect the contracts there would be no incentive to ever do another contract again.

Events in MMO's exist to keep players doing, not so you can grind out the rep in a week and then buy whatever you want. It's the same reason there are weekly caps on rep, so you can't max it out in a day and then complain there is nothing to do.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

Vinak's Avatar


Vinak
06.14.2014 , 11:08 PM | #3
If only the events weren't just glorified daily quests...
>████TootsieRollŪ████<
MXX ______.________CCCLXVII

Halinalle's Avatar


Halinalle
06.14.2014 , 11:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
It renders BBA Reputation almost entirely invalid. All that work grinding in the first few weeks just wiped away, as anything I want to buy now I can't just use my credits on. No, I have to spend BBA Certificates, of which you can only earn 2 a day while the event runs.
Choose one:
1) You grind reputation to max in few weeks and buy whatever you want. Then complain about lack of content.
2) You grind reputation to max in few weeks but you keep doing contracts because vendor has that one item you want more than anything else.
EV 8SM 5/5, KP 8SM 5/5, EC 8SM 4/4, TfB 16SM 0/5, SnV 8SM 7/7
DF 8SM 5/5, DP 16SM 0/5, Rav 16SM 0/5, ToS 16SM 0/5

arunav's Avatar


arunav
06.14.2014 , 11:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Choose one:
1) You grind reputation to max in few weeks and buy whatever you want. Then complain about lack of content.
2) You grind reputation to max in few weeks but you keep doing contracts because vendor has that one item you want more than anything else.
Your choices might be acceptable if the BH event hadn't had a system in place for a year or more that was primarily reputation and currency driven.

Not everyone rushes to legend status in a week or something. I had been saving up for getting the HK customization, after finally getting to legend, only to see the price change to 50 contracts, without any warning.

Though not quite as interested in the bowcasters, seeing them go to 39 contracts yields the same response. I believe they used to be 250k in credits.

As far as bringing the event in line with others, if that was a priority for BW, it should have been changed long ago.

I don't believe that's the case - they were changed simply to have people run contracts all over again (it takes a lot to get to Legend status), because after a year+ participation was likely starting to wane, and perhaps encourage folks to purchase contracts with credits, which always ties into the CM in some form nowadays.
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

Halinalle's Avatar


Halinalle
06.15.2014 , 12:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
Your choices might be acceptable if the BH event hadn't had a system in place for a year or more that was primarily reputation and currency driven.
So, why they changed it? Most likely because no one did the contracts anymore. If you try to counter this with "people just buy completed contracts from GTN anyway and BW has CM as money source!":
- CM has nothing to do with events
- Where do you think those completed contracts come from?
EV 8SM 5/5, KP 8SM 5/5, EC 8SM 4/4, TfB 16SM 0/5, SnV 8SM 7/7
DF 8SM 5/5, DP 16SM 0/5, Rav 16SM 0/5, ToS 16SM 0/5

Transairion's Avatar


Transairion
06.15.2014 , 01:17 AM | #7
Quote:
Truthfully, it was needed to keep the event used. If you didn't have to collect the contracts there would be no incentive to ever do another contract again.

Events in MMO's exist to keep players doing, not so you can grind out the rep in a week and then buy whatever you want. It's the same reason there are weekly caps on rep, so you can't max it out in a day and then complain there is nothing to do.
That's the issue with the event itself. It's boring, it's basically just a Daily that doesn't require a lot of killing, but a lot of wasted time running around.

Basically Bioware didn't want to keep adding Bounty Items as a carrot (aka the Sleen and other Mount), so decided to make it worse for everyone and make EVERY REWARD require a big grind. All that does is make the event even less appealing and make items I might have bought enter the "why bother?" pile.

Between 500k for 2 pistols or 24 Contracts (so 24 seperate bounties, at least two months of waiting), I sure know which I'd choose. All this decision did was make the event worse.


Quote:
Choose one:
1) You grind reputation to max in few weeks and buy whatever you want. Then complain about lack of content.
2) You grind reputation to max in few weeks but you keep doing contracts because vendor has that one item you want more than anything else.

Er, the former obviously. Also anyone who had an item "they really wanted" already got it with credits a long time ago, every subsequent addition to the vendor was always BBA contract only and nothing wrong with that, they're extras.

Lack of content is not an issue either, only the really scummy players finish events instantly then have the gall to complain "not enough to do event sucks!". The issue is Bounty Week runs monthly, and it's "event" is as said basically a Daily x 2. Meanwhile we have to wait months on end just to get another Gree or Rakghoul to return.

Reverting original content to BBA Contract currency "just so you'll have more incentive to do it" is just making people work harder to achieve the exact same thing. They could change all the Gree armors from credits to Grey Helix and it'd be the same thing, putting up artificial walls where none are needed. If anything this doesn't encourage me to do the event at all, it just makes me not want to bother as something I could've got easily now requires a huge grind instead.

Halinalle's Avatar


Halinalle
06.15.2014 , 01:24 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Er, the former obviously. Also anyone who had an item "they really wanted" already got it with credits a long time ago, every subsequent addition to the vendor was always BBA contract only and nothing wrong with that, they're extras.
If you don't want to do then pay someone else to do them for you. It's as simple as that.

I'm happy that Rakghoul event is over. Do you know how annoying it is to die to level 55 rakghouls just because some level 55 "me first!" runs past you and rakghouls that spawn aggro your level 30 character? Yes, I know level 50 tank can still survive it if there's no elite in spawn, but level 30 dps character has no chance against those level 55 rakghouls.
EV 8SM 5/5, KP 8SM 5/5, EC 8SM 4/4, TfB 16SM 0/5, SnV 8SM 7/7
DF 8SM 5/5, DP 16SM 0/5, Rav 16SM 0/5, ToS 16SM 0/5

Transcendent's Avatar


Transcendent
06.15.2014 , 02:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Basically Bioware didn't want to keep adding Bounty Items as a carrot (aka the Sleen and other Mount), so decided to make it worse for everyone and make EVERY REWARD require a big grind. All that does is make the event even less appealing and make items I might have bought enter the "why bother?" pile.

Between 500k for 2 pistols or 24 Contracts (so 24 seperate bounties, at least two months of waiting), I sure know which I'd choose. All this decision did was make the event worse.
I stopped doing the event when I maxed my reputation (second time around iirc). Noted that added mounts required BBA certs instead of credits, which although i'm slightly tempted, i've already done my grind for max rep. So i'm really in agreement with your point of view.

Why would I bother? The whole point of maxing my reputation on something is to get "x" item either now or later on. I'm certainly not going to keep grinding to get new rewards, that defeats the purpose of the initial grind and the whole reputation system.

Transairion's Avatar


Transairion
06.15.2014 , 02:50 AM | #10
Quote:
If you don't want to do then pay someone else to do them for you. It's as simple as that.

I'm happy that Rakghoul event is over. Do you know how annoying it is to die to level 55 rakghouls just because some level 55 "me first!" runs past you and rakghouls that spawn aggro your level 30 character? Yes, I know level 50 tank can still survive it if there's no elite in spawn, but level 30 dps character has no chance against those level 55 rakghouls.
You mean pay someone else an exceedingly inflated price?

I was better of running KDY alone repeatedly to get KDY Kits then possibly trying to pay the several milllion credits for the amount needed.


The Rakghoul event "trolling" and under-levels getting smashed (I've never seen a lower level get aggro on a higher level mob without outright running into them though) is an entirely seperate issue though.

In fact the Rakghoul event hasn't even returned yet, so even though plenty of people have Max Reputation and enough materials to buy all those infected Mounts, pets and so on.... we can't even buy them until Jeelvic returns with the event. I'm just.... sitting on those materials still, watching them take up space.

Event vendors only being active while the event is active is another artificial block we didn't need.