Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Counter Classes: The Same?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Counter Classes: The Same?

Emplehod
06.12.2014 , 10:43 AM | #1
Are the faction's classes the same, like Troopers and Bounty Hunters? Do they have exactly the same advanced trees and skills? Is it just a way to try and add some distinction on the different sides?

Or, is there really some major differences?

Mmurph
06.12.2014 , 11:07 AM | #2
There are some minor differences. For example, a sniper uses a sniper rifle that does more damage than a gunslingers main hand, however the gunslinger has an off-hand that is used for all attacks (with about 30% hit rate), as opposed to the sniper's knife that is only used for certain abilities. This roughly equalizes the dps output for the classes. They have the same abilities/trees, although they have different names they do the same thing. A similar situation exists for a Commando and Merc.

All the other classes just have the different ability names.

Adric_the_Red
06.12.2014 , 11:09 AM | #3
They aren't identical, no, but they're pretty similar. They have skills that do the same thing, but have different names and animations. Trooper has Mortar Volley, where you stand and lob shots at the target area. Bounty Hunter has ... a different-named AoE ... that knocks down standard/weak enemies (sorry, I forget what it's called) where you fly up in the air and fire shots into the target area. Troopers get High Impact Bolt; Bounty Hunters get Rail Shot, and so on.

Trooper starts with a full "ammo" bar, and you have to manage your abilities so you don't run out. BH starts with an empty "heat" bar, and you have to make sure you don't build up too much. Trooper has a skill to quickly reload ammo, BH has a skill to quickly shed heat. It's mostly a "look and feel" sort of thing. Otherwise, if you're playing a Trooper tank, or a BH tank, play is pretty similar.

What's really different is their stories, and you should probably try both classes, just for that. Whcih one you like, if either, and how much, will be a matter of personal preference. I have a 50-ish Trooper and 40-something BH, and so far have enjoyed both stories.
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

Merouk
06.12.2014 , 07:47 PM | #4
As it's been said, same abilities, same trees, just with different names (but same effects), and sometimes there's a small difference of flavor (rifle vs. 2 pistols) but typically the same performance as far as DPS and what not.

What's completely different is the class quests / stories.

AlixMV
06.13.2014 , 04:11 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Adric_the_Red View Post
TTrooper has Mortar Volley, where you stand and lob shots at the target area. Bounty Hunter has ... a different-named AoE ... that knocks down standard/weak enemies .
Death from Above, how could you forget that one?

To the OP: although there are technically differences between the Advanced Classes based on sides, I think of them as mechanically identical and cosmetically different.

The Gunslinger Sharpshooter rotation is exactly the same as a Sniper Marksman, Sentinel Focus to Marauder Rage, etc. Where they differentiate in some cases are the weapons used (Assault Cannon v. dual-wield Pistols, Blaster Rifle/Vibroknife vs. Pistol/Scattergun), toon animations executing the abilities (Sentinel sidethrow of Dual Saber Throw vs. Marauder overhand), and visual and sound effects. I know people who profess distinct preferences to one AC's animations, no matter that they have the same end effect (amongst them me).

Then, like someone said, the stories are drastically different, which again I consider 'cosmetic'.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

MidichIorian
06.13.2014 , 04:20 PM | #6
They're intended to be played the same way and have the same output but there has been incidents where one of the mirrors have had a small and unintended advantage (usually related to the weapon or energy management). I believe most of these "anomalies" have been sorted out though.