Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Security Questions

Aethrac
12.23.2011 , 11:05 AM | #1
Hello,
I keep failing with m security questions, its really annoying that if you get one wrong it wont just ask a different question! Perhaps a feature that could be added so you dont have to ring customer services?

Madborn
12.23.2011 , 11:50 AM | #2
It is designed that way to prevent theft. Only other option is to try from another ip adress.

But if your ip is locked, then you have to contact support. Nothing else to then waiting.
Written on my tablet

klibu
12.23.2011 , 11:58 AM | #3
It is the most stupid thing i have ever heard! Same thing is happening to me. It even asked a question I absolutely know I would have never chosen as a security question. And now I'm locked and have been waiting on the phone an hour! Every other company in the world changes the question to another when you answer wrong! That's why you have 5.

Midarc
12.23.2011 , 12:02 PM | #4
Hello there.

I was wondering if someone could post the correct phone number to call if you are a customer in the UK?

I currently have a problem regarding a secret question that isn't accepting any iteration of the correct answer.

To compound the issue further, of the 5 questions it could ask, it seems to have an attraction to sticking to this single, problematic question, so I have no way of knowing if the issue is based on my memory or their question system.

The main problem though, is the phone number listed in the support section for users outside the US just doesn't seem to work for me.
Again, I can't tell whether this is error on my part or a result of the number of calls that it is recieving.

Any help, whether provided by a formite or CSR, would be greatly appreciated.

Why am I posting this here?
Well, it's slightly on topic, but in addition, for some bedamned reason I don't seem to be allowed to open a new topic.
The title section cannot be selected or interacted with in any way at all.

renegadeimp
12.23.2011 , 12:03 PM | #5
The system only chooses from the five questions listed in your account details. You should have given an answer that you would remember to all of them.

It's not a system fault in any of the cases. 100% of the time it has been a user fault. Usually because they forgot the right answer, or spelled it differently when answering compared to when they answered initially.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

klibu
12.23.2011 , 12:19 PM | #6
It is the most stupid thing i have ever heard! Same thing is happening to me. It even asked a question I absolutely know I would have never chosen as a security question. And now I'm locked and have been waiting on the phone an hour! Every other company in the world changes the question to another when you answer wrong! That's why you have 5.

Midarc
12.23.2011 , 12:19 PM | #7
Well, that was helpful.
Any other advice that doesn't involve the use of a time machine?

In fairness, there is a high chance of user error, but given the... persistance in questioning it becomes harder to tell.
I'm pretty sure I'm getting it right, and I'm convinced I can remember the answer to three of the questions.

As things stand, I have been wondering why the question 'sticks'.
It was stated by a previous poster (whom I currently forget the name of) that this is a procedure to prevent theft.
Sticking to a single question (and starring out the input for that matter) means you'll swiftly use up your chances at getting it right and then clog up those all important phone lines.

A temporary lock out followed by a different question or rotating the question a set number of times during one period should in theory provide the same degree of security against unauthorised access.
After all, each of the questions should be as valid a proof of identity as the other.

Rotating the question would also help those of us with less reliable memories than others.

Hulgos
12.23.2011 , 12:22 PM | #8
Treat it just like a password. And grow up, It's not their fault you haphazardly answered five vital questions. Once you get in, go change your answers to something you'll remember.

And be thankful that these 58 layers of security are on our account (just 4, in actuality) because it means you have a MUCH LOWER chance of having your account "hacked" (In actuality no hacking usually goes on) because you're too stupid to have different passwords for things, or you download a key logger.

Midarc
12.23.2011 , 12:35 PM | #9
Thankyou for your input.
I'm sure admonishing people will fix everything much quicker.
As everyone knows, CSR departments are powered purely by schadenfreude.

It could be possible, only a 'could' you understand, that CSR people are here to help customers in trouble.
I've always got that impression by the way they help people in their posts, y'see.
I mention this because if you think about it, a 'customer service' forum might be a really good place to make a post like this too.

But what do you think?
Well, I mean about where a person should go for help, that is.
You seem to have covered the 'hindsight' section of available advice spiffingly.

Randomlk
12.23.2011 , 12:39 PM | #10
Would be alright if you could actually phone them, but no, the phone lines are busy on the week of release....