Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Area Transition Issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DElKyiv
06.10.2014 , 11:31 AM | #31
too many bugs for one patch

Joesixxpack
06.10.2014 , 11:33 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by DElKyiv View Post
Maybe they're trying to beat prior patch records

DOHboy
06.10.2014 , 11:35 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Translation: Fix that s**t up.
no, I know they are scrambling to get things fixed. I also realize that they don't need more people screaming for things to be fixed, yelling and screaming doesn't get it done.

They are working hard, and I appreciate it. I was really looking forward to some of the new content and although sitting at work looking at the fire, I don't expect it to be fixed NOW..or even NOW. or even SOON (tm). It will get fixed when it gets fixed and realize nothing anyone can do will change that.

I'm not demanding yellow text apologizing, or demanding free stuff, or demanding a time line.
call me a knight, biodrone or just a member of realville where things are based on reality.

Reno_Tarshil
06.10.2014 , 11:37 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
no, I know they are scrambling to get things fixed. I also realize that they don't need more people screaming for things to be fixed, yelling and screaming doesn't get it done.

They are working hard, and I appreciate it. I was really looking forward to some of the new content and although sitting at work looking at the fire, I don't expect it to be fixed NOW..or even NOW. or even SOON (tm). It will get fixed when it gets fixed and realize nothing anyone can do will change that.

I'm not demanding yellow text apologizing, or demanding free stuff, or demanding a time line.
call me a knight, biodrone or just a member of realville where things are based on reality.
I feel the same. Despite me being irritated at having to re-install, I understand being loud and rude isn't going to get things fixed any faster.
Back in Black (and redder)!
The Sith Lord of Butterfly Catching has returned.

http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuff and thangs.

BuriDogshin
06.10.2014 , 11:38 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by DElKyiv View Post
It might just be one bug. Here's a hypothetical example: Some MMOs are structured as front-end (FE) servers and database (DB) servers. The FE and DB servers communicate using a protocol. If the protocol was supposed to be upgraded to a new version in patch 2.8, and the FE servers got the update but someone forgot to update the DB servers, chaos and seemingly random bugs could be the result.

I am not saying this is what happened, but it exemplifies the idea that "the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." (paraphrased from ST:TOS's Scottie)

MMOs have very complicated plumbing, sometimes I think it's a miracle they work at all.
Going Preferred January 31, 2015.

dipstik
06.10.2014 , 11:39 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by joesixxpack View Post
maybe they're trying to beat prior patch records

2.8=2*1.4

Blackdranze
06.10.2014 , 11:41 AM | #37
Cant do anything at all in the game

Joesixxpack
06.10.2014 , 11:42 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
2.8=2*1.4
lololol

Darth_Wicked
06.10.2014 , 11:43 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post

I merely pointed out that which your previous post was trying to convey, sans the monumental kiss-up. Chill.

DOHboy
06.10.2014 , 11:57 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I merely pointed out that which your previous post was trying to convey, sans the monumental kiss-up. Chill.
wasn't kissing up, just trying to counter all the "WORST GAME EVA!!!" that majority of gamers have no idea what software development takes.

want to know whats going on..

10am fix goes live and power gets turned on
10:30 first reports of bugs and those monitoring the game start their investigations
11am: first meeting regarding list of bugs and known issues
11:30 meeting is over and go back to investigating the issue
12:00pm managers call second meeting regarding any updates and what is being done to fix it make note that there will be a meeting in an hour to discuss any updates
12:30 meeting is over and go back to investigating the issue, start prepping for next meeting
1pm: managers call 3rd meeting to discuss what has changed, devs regurgitate their meeting prep, not enough progress is being made so decide to have another meeting
1:30 meeting ends and devs start prep for next meeting
2pm. meeting on progress general managers and higher ups might start to attened (devs are starting prep for next meeting while in the meeting to report to upper management)
3pm: dev gets reprieve as managers go home and get a chance to actually investigate the bug and realize the issue
4pm: have the bug fixed and testing occurs
5pm: starts the documentation process and planning for getting the patch fixed
8am next day: managers return wanting updates: devs indicate patch is ready, goes through review, tell dev to get rid of the duck
10am: reviews are complete patch notes are developed
11am: patch notes released and patch is scheduled for 6am next day
12pm: meetings to identify what caused the bug and why it was allowed to go live
5pm: meetings end realizing that sith happens and easy to miss a few lines when updating 100k sloc
9pm: begin patching process for and final testing so that ready to transfer first thing in the morning.
6am: patching starts takes longer than expected due to other issues during patching process; it is quickly fixed and no other issues are seen.
8am: patching complete
9am: meeting on why that weeks work is now 2 days behind schedule and to plan on having hourly meetings until progress returns to previous rates.