Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The perils of Darth Squirrelcorpse: Light Side PVP Lightning Sorceress

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The perils of Darth Squirrelcorpse: Light Side PVP Lightning Sorceress

Rimbosity
06.08.2014 , 12:27 AM | #1
"Sub back up," my brother, the dog, told me. "Join me on the Bastion. And do the Inquisitor story. Once you know what's going on in the Jedi story line, it's the only other character who controls her own destiny. And I do mean 'her,' because it's obviously written for a chick."

So I picked one out. A wee little girl with lightning bolts. I'm focusing on the lightning tree, and looking for tips on how to be a good lightning sorceress for PVP. So I head out to Dulfy.net and scour the forums here and, after digging through, I learn what everyone's advice on how to play a lightning sorceress in PVP:

Don't.

But I am not a reasonable man. I'm playing a light side Sith, to boot. And just to be obnoxious, I'm playing the game on a Macbook Pro in Boot Camp. Doing everything wrong, in other words.

I'm going to need to get used to this.

This will be the place where I will log this great experiment, where the tale of our dear Darth Squirrelcorpse will come to light and maybe, just maybe, figure out how to be a successful PVP player with a lightning sorceress controlled by a guy who otherwise doesn't know what he's doing.

I tried to stop 'em, man. I tried.

PrincessNuri
06.08.2014 , 07:20 AM | #2
I'm a light side lightning sorcerer too and I do better and survive on her more than my marauder lol

JP_Legatus
06.08.2014 , 04:32 PM | #3
Darth squirrel corpse +1 for awesome name
Plaje - 65 PVP Assassin
http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

Master-Nala
06.08.2014 , 04:39 PM | #4
I tried to make my lightning Sorceress work, I really did. And maybe it's because my Balance (Madness) Sage is my main, but I just couldn't get into it. It just feels too clunky and doesn't have all the tools you need for a turret spec IMO.

But if you're going through with it anyway, you have my respect for going against the grain.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

Rimbosity
06.08.2014 , 10:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
I tried to make my lightning Sorceress work, I really did. And maybe it's because my Balance (Madness) Sage is my main, but I just couldn't get into it. It just feels too clunky and doesn't have all the tools you need for a turret spec IMO.

But if you're going through with it anyway, you have my respect for going against the grain.
Thanks! But I don't know if it's worthy of respect. My grandfather was a pig-stubborn man, my father was a pig-stubborn man, and I? I'm my father's son.

And being Light Side doesn't help. I mean, Light 1 means I got the awesome lightsaber at Balmorra that requires being Light 1 to wield, but it also means losing 144 affection from Khem Val on one of the quests. So I go to the companion gifts vendor and buy his love back.

But he seems to have a very short memory. (Note the conversation log.)

Also note down at the bottom, you can get an idea of the rotation I'm using to survive right now. I basically hit 4-3-5-6-7-8; I hit 3 and 4 whenever they pop back up, 5 whenever I switch targets, and then rotate though 6-8 in the mean time. Dulfy says just to spam Lightning Strike, but Shock does just as much damage as it does, temp stuns weak opponents and doesn't have a cast time. I've also moved Overload into a mouse area, since it's something I don't need in a typical rotation.

I'm definitely open to suggestions. She is performing better than she was.

As for her name, there's kind of a story behind that...

af_raptura
06.09.2014 , 12:33 AM | #6
Well, its nice to have someone enthusiastic about lightning. I used to be, too. Then I leveled my sorc at around the same time all marauders were rolling smash, and that slowly killed that.

I really hope you never lose that sense of fun your having as lightning.

Best,
af_raptura
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

JouerTue
06.09.2014 , 12:41 AM | #7
got one in the enemy group in unrated arena, while i was queuing with guild premade group, i think round 1 he died before his first thundering blast, he got only his self heal 3k medal, and round 2 his group was almost dead before his first thundering blast, i saw a chain lighting on our guarded healer..i must say in his defence that he wasn't a good kiter..but idk how kiting could work on that spec..

AlrikFassbauer
06.09.2014 , 05:24 AM | #8
"Squirrelcorpse" ??? Did you read too much "Quest For The Spark", maybe ?
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.

MusicRider
06.09.2014 , 05:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rimbosity View Post
So I picked one out. A wee little girl with lightning bolts. I'm focusing on the lightning tree, and looking for tips on how to be a good lightning sorceress for PVP. So I head out to Dulfy.net and scour the forums here and, after digging through, I learn what everyone's advice on how to play a lightning sorceress in PVP:

Don't.
That's really not true... Full lightning might be problematic for (solo ranked) arenas but for normal wzs it is perfectly fine and deadly. In fact in organised team play (that is within a group of friends or when ranked wzs existed) it was the best and most viable spec for a dps sorc. Put a fellow dps teammate (avoid madness sorc) on your focus and follow his target. The two of you together will destroy the one he targets in secs.

However, it does require high skill to play the spec and it does require a full tree.... so before being able to do so I would go with madness for pvp.

MusicRider
06.09.2014 , 06:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rimbosity View Post
Also note down at the bottom, you can get an idea of the rotation I'm using to survive right now. I basically hit 4-3-5-6-7-8; I hit 3 and 4 whenever they pop back up, 5 whenever I switch targets, and then rotate though 6-8 in the mean time. Dulfy says just to spam Lightning Strike, but Shock does just as much damage as it does, temp stuns weak opponents and doesn't have a cast time. I've also moved Overload into a mouse area, since it's something I don't need in a typical rotation.

I'm definitely open to suggestions. She is performing better than she was.
I am sorry but I am not goona look on your keybinds and derive your rotaiton. If you want right it down. But commonly is:

When polarity and recklessness are up:
affliction->polarity->blast->ling strike->recklessness->force ling->chain ling->spam ling strike till blast off cd.->blast->ling strike-> see below for options

When polarity and recklessness are on cooldown:
affliction->blast->ling strike->crushing darkness (if bubbled or without bubble if not focussed)->force ling->chain ling->spam ling strike till blast off cd.->blast->ling strike->see below for options

Options on second blast->ling stirke in both cases:
a) affliction but gets blast and its proc and ling strike and its proc out of sync with affliction but maximises dps
b) usual FL->CL->ling strike spam till 1.5s before blast comes off gcd and then affliction and start from the beginning

Spamming LS is "better" cause you are saving shock for when you have to move.