Don't Get It: Alt Woes

DomiSotto

Six months ago, I downloaded this game with an intention to play an IA. From my really good old gaming friends I got the reliable data that the IA has the best story and romance. I created her, I came up with a name I thought was fantastic, and I loved playing her for a few days. Then I subscribed, made more alts... Fast forward...

I have put CCs to change her into Chiss. I finished Dromund Kaas. I've changed her crafting skills a couple of times. SHe has a good credits cushion. I re-equipped her. And... that's it. Meanwhile, my second character, the Consular, is level 47, third, the Smuggler - level 50 and both are close to the end of Chapter 3. And another one, a Mara is level 37 on Taris.... 6 characters on the capital world, or having have finsihed it, and two - in the baby diapers of the home world cantina (one of them IA male alt... surprise, surprise!) And ALL of them are dearer to me than poor Dusk Fell.

I just don't get it. I dunno if it is because I now know how long it's going to take to meet Vector; is it because Jadus is dead; is it because I screwed up her Alignment choices, trying to fit the character rather than grind one side... I just do not get it! Why is it so appealing in theory, but I have no desire to play an IA. She should be my best girl... she is not ???

Anyone else had a problem with an Alt like that?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, everyone gashes about the IAs, and I can't care less. What gives? I am going try to push her through Balmorra without touching anything but the Class Quest, maybe I will feel better after that. Imp Balmorra is horribly wrong!!!

The story for the IA seems to start off slow and pick up steam as it goes along.

Compared to the other ones you've done, which start out strong and have some weaker points later.

Chapter one is OK, it is nowhere near as good as the last 2, the third one especially is my favorite chapter of all the ones that I've played (14 chapters). When I first started my agent, it took forever to finish the first chapter because I started to lose motivation to stick with it, but once i finished that and started chapter 2, I couldn't stop until I finished the entire story.

Well, fingers crossed. I ripped through Balmorra with minimum Resistance casualties, first time leaving any planet under-leveled ever on a solo run. An evil run is actually appealing on this one, because you are helping the Resistance.

I dunno, I did not find a story slow so far. Consular - I struggled with the repetitiveness and Qyzen, and, later in the story with Mary-Sue Grell (and she is about to be dumped on my poor Consular);

With SW, I struggled with Quinn and being endlessly portrayed as Stupid Evil

With Smuggler, I had a low point when Risha was calling the shots and having the last word always

Here, apart from Balmorra, there was nothing wrong at all. Maybe there is just nothing much to love either...

Edited by DomiSotto

IA gets a lot better over time, basically on Alderaan and that on.

One encouraging information here but beware, it's quite important

Darth Jadus is alive. You can become Hand of Jadus if you play darkside

Thank you for the tip :) I half-expected it. Honestly, my girl is of such confused alignment that even Diplomacy can't correct it (I think I have just lost my hard-won Light I by giving the list of collaborators to the Resistance in hopes that Slug Pyne was featured on it prominently). Oh, well. I will try to re-equip her and play Nar Shaddaa.

But not before having a satisfaction of finishing Taris on my SW, because offing a certain NPC there and swapping Jaesa for Pierce are the most anticipated events for me at the moment in the game.

Edited by DomiSotto

But not before having a satisfaction of finishing Taris on my SW, because offing a certain NPC there and swapping Jaesa for Pierce are the most anticipated events for me at the moment in the game.

Hehe yeah, the SW storyline on Taris was by far my favorite mission chain in the game, especially the last leg of it. I dare not say anymore for fear of ruining anything, but I just wish the other class story's had a little flavor like this had.

The IA story is very good, but it's not the end all be all like everyone says. It appears you simply like the other classes you've played more. I've done every class story twice or more and I like most of the classes you mentioned better than the IA story.

That said, the IA story's Act II is magnificent and the beginning of Act III is amazing as well. Gets a little silly at the end for my tastes.

If I had one piece of advice to give to someone when it comes to storylines, its playing the IA last. Not because it's bad-au contraire-the more you've played other class stories, the more revealing the IA's story becomes. There are some npcs and events I will never be able to look at the same way ever again...

I can't play her last - I have 8 grouped characters, and 4 solos. And for solo play I now have a SW (L 38), An Inquisitor (lowbie) and an IA (who is now L21). The paired IA is a low priority paired character (not a crafter), so if I keep pushing the IA back, I will end up with two of them running in parallel :( Anyway, it's better now off Balmorra.

And if the IA does the same things to other class stories as it does to Consular, I'd rather not play IA. The IA just feels disgusting, and you gotta like something about the main char.

Edited by DomiSotto

I have a 29 operative. From my own experience - the operative story is not as interesting or fun if you play pure light/pure dark. Do not concern yourself with your alignment. It doesn't honestly matter in the end, excepting that you get some negligible bonus HP and a short duration usage thing off of relics.

This small bonus is not worth sacrificing the story for, however. However, if you are thinking you made some decisions you regret, I would recommend rerolling and trying again, since you're not too terribly far into it.

*snip*

is it because I screwed up her Alignment choices, trying to fit the character rather than grind one side... I just do not get it!

You didn't screw up alignment choices by fitting your choices to the character. Alignment-gated relics are rubbish.

The best choice when leveling any character is to make choices based on what that character would do, not grind alignment of one side or another. Well, at least once you get Unity :p

Yeah, her Alignment is now very neutral, with some lean towards the DS thanks to Kaliyo and some very tempting DS choices I just couldn't bypass. I think with so many perks now coming her way from the rest of the legacy, she should be Okay w/o relics. My initial plan was to play her as completely Neutral, and that's what she looks like, despite my attempts at Diplomacy.

The story reason I worry about the Alignment is because Vector is said to be very LS, and I am worried if she gest too too DS by the time she lands on Alderaan, the romance won't make much sense. For a while I was thinking he could redeem her or something of the kind story-line, but it is hard to see conceptually without the knowledge of the character. By his description he doesn't make any sense anyway for an IA romance. There is a typical James Bond set up for the male agent (good girl, bad girl and a girl in the office), but a female one is really an odd-ball.

Oh, well. I am afraid to play Nar Shaaddaa right now, because of the potential overcrowding + patch problems, plus I just realized that if I bring my SW to the end of Chapter 2 (Quesh and Hoth), I will get all 4 Legacy buffs. So it is very tempting to just follow the SW story since it is both in high gear and I have a cool new companion. Lol, can't wait to get him on Hoth, since I gave Pierce the bare-chested armor, so I am going to balance out all those slave girls outfits in the blizzard. He is that tough, yes.

Edited by DomiSotto

• 1 month later...
And now I seem to discover that the world is bursting at the seams with copies of my alt. Absolutely everyone who plays a Sniper seem to play a diminutive Chiss girl with a generically pretty face and same sort of hair-do. I should have looked around more. :( Edited by DomiSotto

Well, everyone gashes about the IAs, and I can't care less. What gives? I am going try to push her through Balmorra without touching anything but the Class Quest, maybe I will feel better after that. Imp Balmorra is horribly wrong!!!

I'm the same way...and what it all comes down to...is simply that people like different things.

I could never get into the IA story like so many others have. It's just not my thing, it's not what I care for. So for me, I will never consider it one of the best stories.

I personally don't see what's so great about the IA story...but again, like I said...it's all just a matter of opinion.

It's a "to each their own" thing.

And now I seem to discover that the world is bursting at the seams with copies of my alt. Absolutely everyone who plays a Sniper seem to play a diminutive Chiss girl with a generically pretty face and same sort of hair-do. I should have looked around more. :(

Honestly that's a problem in general with non human species - you tend to only come up with a couple good looking ones and everyone else does the exact same thing.

Thank you for the tip :) I half-expected it. Honestly, my girl is of such confused alignment that even Diplomacy can't correct it (I think I have just lost my hard-won Light I by giving the list of collaborators to the Resistance in hopes that Slug Pyne was featured on it prominently). Oh, well. I will try to re-equip her and play Nar Shaddaa.

Why would you ever dump Jaesa? Jaesa is litterally the only companion you need to play a SW properly, if your using any other companion you deserve to be shoved out 100 airlocks.

As for the Agent, you have to play it Dark Side to get the best story, Light Side agent makes 0 sense at all, Neutral Agent isnt too bad.

Why don't I play with Jaesa? Her voice is horrible, her looks are stupid, and her personality if it may be called that is a shallow parody of an immature emo who desperately wants to be a femme fatale. A combination of these features makes her feel like a travesty next to sensitively written Quinn or funny, sexy as hells Pierce or pleasant Vette. I mean, maybe she is better than Broonmark, marginally, but that's not saying a lot. Kaliyo, Akaavi - not bad, but Jaessa, just no, thank you very much, off to the crafting missions with you.

Sorry if my playing a Warrior doesn't fit your idea of playing a Warrior, but I play with Lt. Pierce to eventually switch to Cpt. Quinn on a Female DS SW and with Vette on my LS Male. :)

As for the Agent, you have to play it Dark Side to get the best story, Light Side agent makes 0 sense at all, Neutral Agent isnt too bad.

(Shrug) maybe, but I don't want to play DS unless I play a Sith. It's normally unpleasant.

Edited by DomiSotto

Meh, it's Kaos, he's always been like that whenever Jaesa comes up. :p Dark Jaesa doesn't even bother me and I don't use her at all on my Marauder, which is the only warrior I have that actually romanced her!

A bit off topic but speaking of Pierce I wished the warrior could have gotten involved in his side mission during his conversation chain. I felt a little let down that I couldn't go with him. It could have been a fun little rp/mission thing, reminiscent of the warrior chain on Taris when you got him.

Edited by Ridickilis

All the side missions are like that, really. I wish Bio set aside time and money to develop them. :(

Anyway, I am of to vacations and will be logging the stupid IA regularly to max out her UWT (half for sale, half to stock-pile). About the only thing I can do really :)