Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Sorcerer Healing

Orderken
06.04.2014 , 11:29 AM | #1
This is an in-depth guide for healing Operations (PVE), and a basic guide for healing Warzones (PVP), as a level 55 Sorcerer. It's current as of SWTOR 2.8.1, and was last updated on July 12.

This guide is organized as follows.

1. PVE
    1. Skill Points
    2. Rotation
    3. BIS Gear
    4. Playing Like an Expert
    5. Parsing
    6. Tips for Certain Bosses

2. PVP
    1. Skill Points
    2. BIS Gear
    3. Basic Advice

3. Maximizing Your Performance
    1. Datacrons
    2. Companions
    3. Consumables
    4. User Interface

4. Your Abilities in Detail

This first post includes Section 1. The second post includes Sections 2-4. This guide is available as a Word document.

PVE

Skill Points
Spoiler
Rotation
Spoiler
BIS Gear
Spoiler
Playing Like an Expert
Spoiler
Parsing
Spoiler
Tips for Certain Bosses
Spoiler
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five
Guides for Healing - Sorcerer / Sage
Models for PVE Healing - Sorcerer or Sage / Mercenary or Commando / Operative or Scoundrel

Orderken
06.04.2014 , 11:30 AM | #2
PVP

Skill Points
Spoiler
BIS Gear
Spoiler
Basic Advice
Spoiler

Maximizing Your Performance

Datacrons
Spoiler
Companions
Spoiler
Consumables
Spoiler
User Interface
Spoiler

Your Abilities in Detail

Heals
Spoiler
Cooldowns for Healing
Spoiler
Force Management
Spoiler
Threat Management
Spoiler
Useful DPS Abilities
Spoiler
Crowd Control (CC)
Spoiler
Other
Spoiler
Models for PVE Healing - Sorcerer or Sage / Mercenary or Commando / Operative or Scoundrel

Orderken
06.04.2014 , 11:35 AM | #3
[Reserved]

Orderken
06.07.2014 , 03:26 PM | #4
Today I added advice on customizing your User Interface. This may be found in "Maximizing Your Performance" > "User Interface".

I also updated Section "Your Abilities in Detail".

Orderken
06.24.2014 , 04:46 PM | #5
Today I added advice for healing Nightmare DP to "PVE" > "Tips for Certain Bosses". In particular, I discuss Raptus's Healing Challenge in great detail.

I also released a new version of my model for PVE healing. To tailor the model for the typical PVE Sage healer, the data on worksheet "Boss Fights" is now based on Nightmare DF and DP 8, rather than on Nightmare TFB and S&V 16.

Vagosei
06.25.2014 , 10:54 AM | #6
Hats of to you....Outstanding healing guide!!!!
Vagosei Gunginir
Merlinsmagic Dunner
Maximer KR‹L
BL‹R Alvina

kingdavidowns
06.27.2014 , 05:36 PM | #7
I'm currently at 68% surge and 10.2% alacrity. Should I bump up surge or just leave the high alacrity? Struggling to find an exact, ideal number for alacrity/surge.

Orderken
06.28.2014 , 04:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by kingdavidowns View Post
I'm currently at 68% surge and 10.2% alacrity. Should I bump up surge or just leave the high alacrity? Struggling to find an exact, ideal number for alacrity/surge.
BIS is similar to your current gear: 3 items with Surge and 7 with Alacrity.

As I wrote in the Guide (see "PVE" > "BIS Gear" > "Surge versus Alacrity"), the alternative is 4 items with Surge and 6 with Alacrity. The alternative's expected output is only about one-third of a percent lower than BIS's, and the difference in activation times isn't noticeable.

Orderken
07.17.2014 , 01:04 PM | #9
Today I added a few suggestions to "Tips for Certain Bosses" and fixed broken hyperlinks.

Orderken
08.13.2014 , 04:52 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SquirrelFreak
I primarily play a Sorc/Sage healer and have a question related to that spreadsheet.

[...]

From this testing I came to the conclusion that 2 items with surge and 8 with alacrity maximizes my personal EHPCT. [... This] build gave only a 0.07% increase to EHPCT [...], so clearly the difference is basically negligible. However, I'm surprised that you recommend the 4 surge 6 alacrity build as a back up option[.]

[...]

I've since been running my 2 surge build and it seems to be performing just fine, so I was hoping to get some feedback from you on it. Are there other things you are taking into consideration when choosing your BIS gear other than just maximizing EHPCT? Have you considered my build before, and if so what made you decide against it?
I'd noticed the same results for 186 gear. I'd expected this, because Alacrity becomes > Surge after ~250 Surge, which, with 186 gear, is about halfway between 2 and 3 items with Surge.

Using my model with default settings and combat data, for 186 gear, having 2 items with Surge rather than 3 increases expected EHPCT 0.07%. This is a tie. I recommend 3 items with Surge, and consider 4 items with Surge as the next best alternative, for the reasons below.

1. Few players have a lot of 186 gear. With < 186 gear, there's no tie; 3 items with Surge is better.

2. EHPCT Rating is a weighted average, because optimal stats vary by ability. For close calls, look under the hood. 0 items with Surge is optimal for Static Barrier; 4 for Dark Infusion or Innervate (buffed, respectively, by Recklessness or Force Bending in the proportion found in the model's default combat data); 3 otherwise (disregarding Dark Heal). Since Static Barrier has a lockout, it's crucial that Innervate and Dark Infusion provide substantial healing.

3. If you heal on an Operative, too, having only 1 more item with Alacrity on your Sorcerer than on your Operative eases switching. I notice the slower GCD when my Operative has even 2 fewer items with Alacrity, and, on occasion, this can disrupt my rhythm.