Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Coruscant Skyrise Apartment Video

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Coruscant Skyrise Apartment Video
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pistols's Avatar


Pistols
06.03.2014 , 12:40 PM | #21
I wonder if this will help bring back players, cause it's getting pretty quiet on many servers.

BDSMKane's Avatar


BDSMKane
06.03.2014 , 12:43 PM | #22
I really like the concept of the player housing, but I already have concerns for how it might be implemented. I'm not commenting to critique an unknown product, mind you, but simply trying to express thoughts to the developers and the community for things to consider.

The first thing that I think might wind up being a big deal is how exactly travel to the home is handled. I understand that it has already been announced that there will be convenient ways to travel to the home and back, but I find that to be less of an issue than how the immersion aspect will work. There are two ways I can think about this being done, and handling each instance like a planet that you transport to(by -any- means) would be the "bad choice". It would completely ruin immersion of your character and those they are grouped with if having to use something akin to quick travel shuttle to get to your home: 1) How would neighbors stop by? 2) Would you even have neighbors? 3) How many people in the galaxy own private homes that are only accessible by shuttle and what of the more humble people? Unfortunately, so far, all of the videos seem to indicate that this is exactly how housing will be.

My hope would be that all homes, at least the exterior, are accessible from a centralized point. Think of a Nar Shaddaa residential district, with four sections(areas) of housing divided up by the relative value of the home, from wealth to poverty. Each area has it's own transport method(similar to fleet pass) to travel to the residential districts. From there, you can stroll through your neighborhood and see the homes for sale, homes owned by others, and even your own home. All of this is easily attainable and has already been implemented in other MMOs. Then, to enter a home, each is handled like a quest instance(such as hangars on the fleet), that those who are in group or Ops can access.

The second thing that has me worried, and I'll admit that it could be completely unfounded, is that homes will have little to no true customization. I don't mean staging trophies or items around the home, I mean -true- customization. What color is the home(inside or out)? What sort of material appears to be used in the construction? What "unique" architectural flair is displayed? How are the walls and rooms partitioned off? It's a good idea to be able to place pets and unlocked trophies throughout the home, but if every home looks like a carbon-copy structurally with just a few different knick-knacks to differentiate them, the allure will surely fade fast.

I urge any other member of the forums who bothered to read this whole post and who would also like to see housing implemented in an appealing and enduring manner to voice their agreement with my ideas or to post their own. I think the housing has the potential to be a great addition that will truly add new depth and enjoyment to the game. However, if such basic aspects are overlooked, I could also see it disappointing many fans upon release.

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
06.03.2014 , 02:02 PM | #23
Thank you.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Projawa's Avatar


Projawa
06.03.2014 , 02:15 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BDSMKane View Post
I really like the concept of the player housing, but I already have concerns for how it might be implemented. I'm not commenting to critique an unknown product, mind you, but simply trying to express thoughts to the developers and the community for things to consider.

The first thing that I think might wind up being a big deal is how exactly travel to the home is handled. I understand that it has already been announced that there will be convenient ways to travel to the home and back, but I find that to be less of an issue than how the immersion aspect will work. There are two ways I can think about this being done, and handling each instance like a planet that you transport to(by -any- means) would be the "bad choice". It would completely ruin immersion of your character and those they are grouped with if having to use something akin to quick travel shuttle to get to your home: 1) How would neighbors stop by? 2) Would you even have neighbors? 3) How many people in the galaxy own private homes that are only accessible by shuttle and what of the more humble people? Unfortunately, so far, all of the videos seem to indicate that this is exactly how housing will be.

My hope would be that all homes, at least the exterior, are accessible from a centralized point. Think of a Nar Shaddaa residential district, with four sections(areas) of housing divided up by the relative value of the home, from wealth to poverty. Each area has it's own transport method(similar to fleet pass) to travel to the residential districts. From there, you can stroll through your neighborhood and see the homes for sale, homes owned by others, and even your own home. All of this is easily attainable and has already been implemented in other MMOs. Then, to enter a home, each is handled like a quest instance(such as hangars on the fleet), that those who are in group or Ops can access.

The second thing that has me worried, and I'll admit that it could be completely unfounded, is that homes will have little to no true customization. I don't mean staging trophies or items around the home, I mean -true- customization. What color is the home(inside or out)? What sort of material appears to be used in the construction? What "unique" architectural flair is displayed? How are the walls and rooms partitioned off? It's a good idea to be able to place pets and unlocked trophies throughout the home, but if every home looks like a carbon-copy structurally with just a few different knick-knacks to differentiate them, the allure will surely fade fast.

I urge any other member of the forums who bothered to read this whole post and who would also like to see housing implemented in an appealing and enduring manner to voice their agreement with my ideas or to post their own. I think the housing has the potential to be a great addition that will truly add new depth and enjoyment to the game. However, if such basic aspects are overlooked, I could also see it disappointing many fans upon release.
Good questions. WS lets you add particle/fog effects in your house. The colors/textures of the walls/floor/ceiling are heavily customizable as is every doodad. You can stack things sky high in your yard to create insane jumping puzzles. It's pretty sandboxy. I don't think it's a fair comparison between WS and Strongholds because WS housing was obviously designed from the ground up as a core feature of that game while Strongholds is an addon using an engine that may/may not be capable of the same level of customization. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.

TrillOG-'s Avatar


TrillOG-
06.03.2014 , 02:18 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
I wonder if this will help bring back players, cause it's getting pretty quiet on many servers.
It won't. This game lost its chance to bring back players long ago. Sure, it will bring back some RPers but lets be honest what does housing really bring to the table to people who actually like PLAYING the game. I don't want to sit around decorating some stupid house in some game. I understand its what some people like but come on an entire expansion for something like this? The new Nightmare content being released is mediocre at best and will be cleared in the first week if not first day. There is no reason for those who have been playing the game for an extended amount of time to continue doing so. I really enjoy playing this game but there just isn't much left to keep the people who enjoy Op and challenging content around. We don't even have real flashpoints anymore due to tacticals becoming the focus, I mean come on.
Twitch
Gate Crasher
World First

Projawa's Avatar


Projawa
06.03.2014 , 02:30 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TrillOG- View Post
It won't. This game lost its chance to bring back players long ago. Sure, it will bring back some RPers but lets be honest what does housing really bring to the table to people who actually like PLAYING the game. I don't want to sit around decorating some stupid house in some game. I understand its what some people like but come on an entire expansion for something like this? The new Nightmare content being released is mediocre at best and will be cleared in the first week if not first day. There is no reason for those who have been playing the game for an extended amount of time to continue doing so. I really enjoy playing this game but there just isn't much left to keep the people who enjoy Op and challenging content around. We don't even have real flashpoints anymore due to tacticals becoming the focus, I mean come on.
They probably have metrics that show players like yourself who are among the best of the best PVEers are a distinct minority and that most of their players are far more casual which is why Strongholds will appeal to a majority of the playerbase and at the same time help recycle older PVE content as people run them for trophies and other decorations.

It's tricky finding a balance between trickle down approach that caters to the elite and making things accessible enough so that others aren't scared away but still want to chase that carrot.

TrillOG-'s Avatar


TrillOG-
06.03.2014 , 02:42 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
They probably have metrics that show players like yourself who are among the best of the best PVEers are a distinct minority and that most of their players are far more casual which is why Strongholds will appeal to a majority of the playerbase and at the same time help recycle older PVE content as people run them for trophies and other decorations.

It's tricky finding a balance between trickle down approach that caters to the elite and making things accessible enough so that others aren't scared away but still want to chase that carrot.
I agree its difficult to find a balance, and I don't mind them doing something like this for the more casual players to make them happy. But when I ask in stream if there are any plans for new ops and the answer I get is "Sure we'll eventually have new ops at some point in time" after its been what 8 months? I begin to question whether its even worth it to stick around. They are making a ton off of the cartel market and pushing out GSF/housing/other things so I would think that a new instance every 6 months is more than reasonable. At least make the Nightmare content challenging and take some time if we have to wait a year for it. I feel that pre-nerf DG is how the content should be all the time for a week or 3 after release.

My guess is 3.0 we'll see a new op and that probably won't be until December at this rate. All I'm saying is it'd be nice to get some answers now and then as to what is going on with endgame content.
Twitch
Gate Crasher
World First

kroto's Avatar


kroto
06.03.2014 , 04:00 PM | #28
I am getting more and more excited each time more info is released for the strongholds! However, I do see something in this video that makes me very sad. Nobody is sitting down!!!! Please Bioware add a couple of chairs that can be clicked on to sit down much like the ones in the personal starships. This feature should be one of the top priorities at least with the strongholds. Make this area a place to actually interact with and feel a part of not just someplace to walk around like a museum. Please add ability to interact with the furniture.
P.S.
Chair emotes really suck and feels like a short cut in the game that developers came up with because they didn't want to add the actual feature to the game.

Santay's Avatar


Santay
06.03.2014 , 04:19 PM | #29
THANK YOU!!! im with ya, they look nice but lets get some substance, like how you place items, where you store items you have not placed yet?
Can you move them once placed?
Recolor items?
crafted items?how it is done.


Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
I was really exceited when housing was anounced, but the last to videos are quite boring, could we get a video with something new there, for example how placing objects or companions in strongholds will work?
Chilastra's Exiles Chilastra's Imperials
The Shadowlands Server

Sarfux's Avatar


Sarfux
06.03.2014 , 04:54 PM | #30
Anybody else notice how the ship fly in to Coruscant was like the new fleet one and VERY detailed? It makes me see perhaps THAT planet's fly in thing is now going to be reworked and in time every single planet will have a new fly in that is more detailed and more drawn out to give you more ..feeling.. inside the game.

I can't wait for this new feature though! Looks like they are putting a lot of work into this! Good job!
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System