Want to hear from good folks about a bad thing

Almar_

An open letter to the Begeren Colony RP Community:

For the last month or more, my guild has been the victims of a systematic, premeditated harassment, committed in the name of disgruntled former member of my guild. These actions, committed by the offending guild, are seeking to prevent us from partaking in any form of role-play events. We cannot even have our guild meetings without these thugs deciding it would be a good time to try and ruin the enjoyment we get in the activity.

But before you begin to think these people are acting for any possible noble reason, first consider the fact that they demanded a sum of 3 Million credits to make this spoiling of our events stop.

Why then do we not report them you might ask? Oh but we have, in fact, the guild we reported, even got a response, saying that no action was taken.

Is this truly the kind of activity that people believe is not warranting no further action, a systematic assault on how we enjoy our time in this game, by a group who seeks nothing more than to spoil our fun. Is this really the community that we wish to be nurturing?

Meanwhile we have further confirmation from an alt of one of their members, that they have members in our guild, seeking to reach positions to influence and cause trouble for us.

The man who caused all this said, all he wanted was an apology for being asked to take his off-topic chatter to another channel when it was blocking people who were asking for help. Seriously, this offending guild needs to grow up, they need to stop making the harassment of my guild their ONLY event. Also people need to stop encouraging them to derive their pleasure from ruining ours. It makes for a bad stink for a game that has been doing so well lately in engaging with their members. To the RP community of Begeren Colony, I leave you with this heartfelt request: let your voices be heard, do you want to be victims of this kind behavior? Then join me in imploring for everyone to follow the terms of service to weed out this behavior, this cancer that is growing in the heart of a game that we all do enjoy!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, /ignore every one of them if you haven't already, and make sure every member of your guild and every friend does so also.

then, set up new guild and ooc chat channels with passwords, and only give them to people you trust.

then, clean out your roster and kick every alt of those causing the problem, to help reduce spies.

then, be careful about how you schedule guild events and try more secluded locations for a while.

If you know any of these people OOC, maybe you can work something out with them offline.

beyond that, don't give them any attention and eventually they'll get tired of harassing you with no payoff.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Goodness are you serious? I know its an RP server, but this level of drama for a video game is ludicrous. Post is not directed toward OP, its directed toward the instigators. Really douchy thing to do.

You obviously haven't played WoW for any length of time.

First, /ignore every one of them if you haven't already, and make sure every member of your guild and every friend does so also.

then, set up new guild and ooc chat channels with passwords, and only give them to people you trust.

then, clean out your roster and kick every alt of those causing the problem, to help reduce spies.

then, be careful about how you schedule guild events and try more secluded locations for a while.

If you know any of these people OOC, maybe you can work something out with them offline.

beyond that, don't give them any attention and eventually they'll get tired of harassing you with no payoff.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I disagree with setting up a new guild. Guilds are expensive and the money put into them is unrecoverable. It would be easier to clean house by making a list (and checking it twice) of trusted members, then kicking everyone (starting from the bottom up) and readding people you know and on a case-by-case basis. I would also lock down the guild bank first.

I also disagree with setting them all on /ignore. I like to pretend I have people on ignore to see what they say, then report them for it when they think I can't see them.

I also disagree with trying to work it out with them under any circumstances, but that is a personal thing :D

Everything suggested here is probably a good idea and should at least be considered as an option.

thank you all (except the first guy) I appreciate the input. You should hear how the troll on the begeren server forum is responding to this, going so far as to call US the harassers. You guys are reasonable and great!

I play on BC as a member of a fairly large guild. We hold weekly gatherings and will often get people trying to ruin the events on a regular basis. What is happening to your guild is quite childish, and sometimes just ignoring the offending players is not enough.

One thought though: If all it is going to take is an apology (which was stated in one of the above posts), then why not apologize and get it over with? Just because you apologize doesn't mean you admit guilt. It just means that you are mature enough to recognize a bad situation and take steps to end it.

I hear you.

We're having problems on Ebon Hawk ourselves. Reported them too, but it seems that 'so far' (Time for a late goal here BioWare), we roleplayers are second class customers. It does feel like our complaints aren't being taken seriously. I mean, it's bad business. Who do you think forks out the money to get the outfits and dyes they want/need for their characters? A little bit of a help would be appreciated.

I hope this problem is resolved for you soon.

I hear you.

We're having problems on Ebon Hawk ourselves. Reported them too, but it seems that 'so far' (Time for a late goal here BioWare), we roleplayers are second class customers. It does feel like our complaints aren't being taken seriously. I mean, it's bad business. Who do you think forks out the money to get the outfits and dyes they want/need for their characters? A little bit of a help would be appreciated.

Glad you understand . . SAD that someone else is suffering through this nightmare! Stay strong the guild ships will bring us some relief!

I hear you.

Nah your not second class costumers BW doing same thing to all their costumers...

For the last month or more, my guild has been the victims of a systematic, premeditated harassment, committed in the name of disgruntled former member of my guild. These actions, committed by the offending guild, are seeking to prevent us from partaking in any form of role-play events. We cannot even have our guild meetings without these thugs deciding it would be a good time to try and ruin the enjoyment we get in the activity.

But before you begin to think these people are acting for any possible noble reason, first consider the fact that they demanded a sum of 3 Million credits to make this spoiling of our events stop.

Why then do we not report them you might ask? Oh but we have, in fact, the guild we reported, even got a response, saying that no action was taken.

Is this truly the kind of activity that people believe is not warranting no further action, a systematic assault on how we enjoy our time in this game, by a group who seeks nothing more than to spoil our fun. Is this really the community that we wish to be nurturing?

Meanwhile we have further confirmation from an alt of one of their members, that they have members in our guild, seeking to reach positions to influence and cause trouble for us.

The man who caused all this said, all he wanted was an apology for being asked to take his off-topic chatter to another channel when it was blocking people who were asking for help. Seriously, this offending guild needs to grow up, they need to stop making the harassment of my guild their ONLY event. Also people need to stop encouraging them to derive their pleasure from ruining ours. It makes for a bad stink for a game that has been doing so well lately in engaging with their members. To the RP community of Begeren Colony, I leave you with this heartfelt request: let your voices be heard, do you want to be victims of this kind behavior? Then join me in imploring for everyone to follow the terms of service to weed out this behavior, this cancer that is growing in the heart of a game that we all do enjoy!

i hope the best for you and your guild, but do not negotiate with terrrorists.

Either what you are saying is true or not. If it isn't true, I don't want to play your little game. If it is true, you need to make a plea to the devs. This is not a place for YOU to USE other players for YOUR LITTLE ISSUE. Take care of it yourself (perhaps play smarter) or talk to EA. If you believe the law has been violated, you should contact authorities.

I don't want to play your little drama chump.

It does not surprise me that your thread in the CS forums was deleted. I and many others pointed out to you that name and shame technique was only going to get you into trouble. I am glad you made the thread without the names but I do have to wonder if this is getting beyond what should have been a rational discourse.

Look I am not trying to bash but you have recreated this thread a few times and someone could get the impression that it is now turned into attention seeking. Yet, saying that I understand the frustration this must cause for both you and your guild. But you see, their are two sides to a story and I actually read the reply made by the other guild in the Bergen Colony thread you made, and it seems that maybe you or your guild members are at fault as well.

This situation is too over the top to just have one side is wrong and one side is right. I believe that both of you are wrong and I honestly think it is about time you guys sat down and spoke about this like adults, instead of mud slinging at each other.

It does not surprise me that your thread in the CS forums was deleted. I and many others pointed out to you that name and shame technique was only going to get you into trouble. I am glad you made the thread without the names but I do have to wonder if this is getting beyond what should have been a rational discourse.

Look I am not trying to bash but you have recreated this thread a few times and someone could get the impression that it is now turned into attention seeking. Yet, saying that I understand the frustration this must cause for both you and your guild. But you see, their are two sides to a story and I actually read the reply made by the other guild in the Bergen Colony thread you made, and it seems that maybe you or your guild members are at fault as well.

This situation is too over the top to just have one side is wrong and one side is right. I believe that both of you are wrong and I honestly think it is about time you guys sat down and spoke about this like adults, instead of mud slinging at each other.

Appreciate your opinion and disagree with it vehemently. planting people in my guild so they can premeditate stalking is not both sides being wrong. As far as sitting down we tried it on more than one occasion and on one they broke the truce, in the other they tried to extort money from us to end the harassment.

Either way i really do appreciate that you are giving rational ideas instead of just telling us not to talk about it.

Appreciate your opinion and disagree with it vehemently. planting people in my guild so they can premeditate stalking is not both sides being wrong. As far as sitting down we tried it on more than one occasion and on one they broke the truce, in the other they tried to extort money from us to end the harassment.

Either way i really do appreciate that you are giving rational ideas instead of just telling us not to talk about it.

You are free to talk about it, but the reality is that if you keep remaking a thread which is bypassing moderator actions it can get you banned. On a side note, I honestly do not believe that a single guild would go so low as to get members to infiltrate another guild. It really does not make sense to me. I do agree with you however, that extorting money is wrong on all levels but again I kinda feel you are presenting a one sided case here.

In order for us to make a distinction between who we think and when I say we I mean the responders to the thread are wrong or right we have to see the other side. But seeing as though we don't we have to make up our own mind and for me at least I feel there is more to this story than just your side. Again mate I am not trying to bash you.

This person presented evidence in the first thread, detailing whispers being shared with the "offending party" where they were responding with just as much childish banter and trash talking to them.

Personally, after reading the comments and the manner of demanding CS attention in a public server forum along with it being presented in multiple areas now, I have no pity. As:

-You are not being harassed. Inescapable conduct is not being proven by evidence regarding the offending party, you've actually shown screenshots in the first thread detailing your members fighting back.

-You claim that they alone should be punished, refusing to acknowledge the point that you are also breaking the very same rules of "don't insult other members" as if the ToS states "you are not allowed to insult other members, but you can do it if someone else starts insulting you first."

-You are making a matter that should be expressed in a well written and private ticket to Customer Service in the open server forums, attempting to present your case to the public as if your guild is a victim of another's.

-You are attempting to argue on the thread in the BC forums that cyber bullying causes very negative repercussions, when it actually doesn't unless a personal connection IRL is being exploited or the "offending party" is attempting to make one, which warrants immediate CS intervention.

In addition to your one support's attempt to compare the actions of the "offending party" to that of the completely different concept that is known as rape, I really hope CS deletes this thread as well as the others.

Get some thick skin, stop being overly sensitive, and be mature. Follow the process they outline, and if they step over the line, then CS will handle it. Until then, you have to treat the matter with a mature attitude.

The only reason why they are actually so invasive in your actions is because your reaction gains them entertainment. If you stop feeding them attention, they'll eventually grow tired and bored of it and leave you alone.

Edited by ZooMzy

This person presented evidence in the first thread, detailing whispers being shared with the "offending party" where they were responding with just as much childish banter and trash talking to them.

Personally, after reading the comments and the manner of demanding CS attention in a public server forum along with it being presented in multiple areas now, I have no pity. As:

-You are not being harassed. Inescapable conduct is not being proven by evidence regarding the offending party, you've actually shown screenshots in the first thread detailing your members fighting back.

-You claim that they alone should be punished, refusing to acknowledge the point that you are also breaking the very same rules of "don't insult other members" as if the ToS states "you are not allowed to insult other members, but you can do it if someone else starts insulting you first."

-You are making a matter that should be expressed in a well written and private ticket to Customer Service in the open server forums, attempting to present your case to the public as if your guild is a victim of another's.

-You are attempting to argue on the thread in the BC forums that cyber bullying causes very negative repercussions, when it actually doesn't unless a personal connection IRL is being exploited or the "offending party" is attempting to make one, which warrants immediate CS intervention.

In addition to your one support's attempt to compare the actions of the "offending party" to that of the completely different concept that is known as rape, I really hope CS deletes this thread as well as the others.

Get some thick skin, stop being overly sensitive, and be mature. Follow the process they outline, and if they step over the line, then CS will handle it. Until then, you have to treat the matter with a mature attitude.

The only reason why they are actually so invasive in your actions is because your reaction gains them entertainment. If you stop feeding them attention, they'll eventually grow tired and bored of it and leave you alone.

Trolling 101

Trolling 101

Indeed.

And even though there are plenty of people proving it, some people like this still believe that trolling is purely a negative act that is unbeatable, as if the troll is the only negative person in the whole equation.

Where at the end of the day, a troll is essentially like a virus: it needs a host to survive. And the only types of hosts that can make a troll so swaying and give them such a presence in a community are the ones with overly rampant egos and have trouble managing their own personal problems.

To the OP: Did you use the term harassment when you posted your complaint about their behaviour?

Because that word usually gets CS going. Of course, if it doesn't turn out to be true, you get in a load of trouble, but if someone really is harassing you then that is the best way to get attention.

aren't you insulting another player as of now? just saying...

you don't have to verbally attack this person simply because you disagree with them. i think i also remember it saying somewhere in the jargon that if you see report-worthy material, you must report it and do not entangle with it. of course, anyone who would take the time to observe it all the way through for the sake of pinning up another forumite is either a troll or a lawyer.

Indeed.

And even though there are plenty of people proving it, some people like this still believe that trolling is purely a negative act that is unbeatable, as if the troll is the only negative person in the whole equation.

Where at the end of the day, a troll is essentially like a virus: it needs a host to survive. And the only types of hosts that can make a troll so swaying and give them such a presence in a community are the ones with overly rampant egos and have trouble managing their own personal problems.

there is constructive criticism and trolling. trolling has no purpose other than to harass someone. trolling is also done in a snooty attitude like the comment underlined, directed at another.

although you do have a point that the OP has made mistakes, but you do not know anything about the affairs of this person and his or her guild. you never know how serious it is, so mind your own business.

Edited by CyberneticDucks

there is constructive criticism and trolling. trolling has no purpose other than to harass someone. trolling is also done in a snooty attitude like the comment underlined, directed at another.

although you do have a point that the OP has made mistakes, but you do not know anything about the affairs of this person and his or her guild. you never know how serious it is, so mind your own business.

Um, yes, we do...seeing as how he explicedly described every detail of the situation in this thread. He makes it our business by posting about it in full public view.