Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Worst Star Wars Novel


Sindorin's Avatar


Sindorin
05.29.2014 , 06:50 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
The Crystal Star. Easily the worst Star Wars novel in existence. There are some other bad novels out there, but Crystal Star is the one I wish was never written.
Believe it or not, I liked this one. Personally, the Killik series was the worst three books.

Masta-Blasta - Vanguard

Sindorin - Assassin

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
05.29.2014 , 07:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindorin View Post
Believe it or not, I liked this one. Personally, the Killik series was the worst three books.
Dark Nest would have been fine if it was a single book, maybe a duology, but dragging it out to a full trilogy was way, way, way too long for too little story content.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
No Darth Krayt any comic is the worst Star Wars ever produced.
And this is just sacrilege , Legacy was hands down some of the best EU content of the last decade.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Kremsau's Avatar


Kremsau
05.30.2014 , 10:13 AM | #13
I've yet to delve past the Battle of Yavin, so I haven't had the chance to read any of the recommended's yet (and hopefully never will ) although some of the descriptions in Wiki have been laughable.

My choice is Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void. As it stood so far apart from the rest of the novels, I'd hoped this provided a strong foundation for the series...instead I find a world that isn't so different from the novels that exist 20,000 years in the future. No hyperspace + no lightsaber doesn't translate to 20k years of development for me. Arguably worse than the 3,000 year gap between TOR and Clone Wars.

Plus Lanoree bugged the hell out of me. She is quoted as being a "great Je'daii" in the novel but more often than not if she were a Sith I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm glad they de-canonized the literature when it comes to things like this and pray Disney can breath some fresh air into the far distant past of the Jedi.
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 60 Sentinel & Ergus - 47 Vanguard
Kodamy - 60 Sniper & Maalis - 31 Sith Warrior

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
05.30.2014 , 10:24 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kremsau View Post
Plus Lanoree bugged the hell out of me. She is quoted as being a "great Je'daii" in the novel but more often than not if she were a Sith I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Can't speak to the quality of the novel, but from reading the Dawn of the Jedi comics I can say that this is kind of the point, since the "Je'daii" were the precursors to both the Jedi and the Sith, from a time when the Order was trying to use both the Light and the Dark side.

It makes sense that a "great Je'daii" would be every bit as close to a "great Sith" as it would be to a "great Jedi"
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Sevec_Silver's Avatar


Sevec_Silver
05.30.2014 , 10:44 AM | #15
I know it's not a novel, but does The Force Unleashed II count? It was so dreadful on so many levels. I just want to erase the entire thing, even if it means erasing the first one (which I personally loved).

I'd also say that I'm glad they're not adhering to the post-movie era stuff. Honestly, there wasn't room to make a good Star Wars movie that fit into all of the existing stories. Some of it was good, but I'd rather have films than more books and comic books than I can keep track of.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
05.30.2014 , 10:46 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevec_Silver View Post
I know it's not a novel, but does The Force Unleashed II count? It was so dreadful on so many levels. I just want to erase the entire thing, even if it means erasing the first one (which I personally loved).

I'd also say that I'm glad they're not adhering to the post-movie era stuff. Honestly, there wasn't room to make a good Star Wars movie that fit into all of the existing stories. Some of it was good, but I'd rather have films than more books and comic books than I can keep track of.
The Force Unleashed II has a novelization.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Kremsau's Avatar


Kremsau
05.30.2014 , 11:14 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
It makes sense that a "great Je'daii" would be every bit as close to a "great Sith" as it would be to a "great Jedi"
I semi-knew that going into the book, and your flatly stating it does make it much more reasonable. I found the short story following the novel, with the character named Hawk, to exemplify this characteristic of the Je'daii. In that instance his character openly, to the reader, battled his connection to Bogan as he'd dipped into the dark side prior to the story.

However, their code is self-entitled, another word came to mind but it's not appropriate for the forums. So I suppose the characters make sense....it all just rubbed me the wrong way. I feel as if Lanoree going into the Death Star to shut down the tractor beam would've resulted in mass casualties...where-as Obi Wan used cunning to spare lives.
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 60 Sentinel & Ergus - 47 Vanguard
Kodamy - 60 Sniper & Maalis - 31 Sith Warrior

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
05.30.2014 , 12:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kremsau View Post
I semi-knew that going into the book, and your flatly stating it does make it much more reasonable. I found the short story following the novel, with the character named Hawk, to exemplify this characteristic of the Je'daii. In that instance his character openly, to the reader, battled his connection to Bogan as he'd dipped into the dark side prior to the story.

However, their code is self-entitled, another word came to mind but it's not appropriate for the forums. So I suppose the characters make sense....it all just rubbed me the wrong way. I feel as if Lanoree going into the Death Star to shut down the tractor beam would've resulted in mass casualties...where-as Obi Wan used cunning to spare lives.
I can completely understand someone disliking stories that have anti-heroes as protagonists, my only point was that sounds like what this was: a book with a morally grey anti-hero for a "hero", and that it is consistent for a Jed'aii, who try to use both sides of the Force, to be exactly that sort of character (which is the metric I would use for it being "reasonable").

Books like Deceived and the Darth Bane trilogy have flat-out murderers and psychopaths as their "heroes", that's just the type of story they're choosing to tell. But those types of stories are definitely not everyone's cup of tea, the same way someone who doesn't like horror stories may not like Death Troopers or someone who doesn't care for space action may not like the X-Wing series.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

StarSquirrel's Avatar


StarSquirrel
05.30.2014 , 12:46 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
The Force Unleashed II has a novelization.
Actually as a novel it wasn't half bad, I enjoyed it and there are definitely worse books in the franchise.

As far as lore is concerned Splinter of the Minds Eye is easily the worse imo (if you take off the sentimentality glasses)

From a storytelling perspective... the Corellian Crisis Trilogy is up there for me, but it is hard to say for sure.

I'd agree that the Revan book wasn't very good and would definitely make any list of worst SW books.

Haven't read a lot of pre-RotJ books so there might be a few more recent books that could be worse.
I know if you look deep into your heart- which is currently all over that tree- you'll find a way to forgive me.

Aww, geez you look like a puppy! A blonde, eviscerated puppy!

-Alucard

Kremsau's Avatar


Kremsau
05.30.2014 , 12:59 PM | #20
I'm very surprised to see Revan on this list. It was the first SW novel I read, and going into it, I took the mental dive of knowing this was a novel based off a video game so I wasn't prepared for an East of Eden or anything.

However, since reading it, I've read all the books up to the Bane trilogy. Revan was certainly better than Knight Errant / Red Harvest. Of course all of this is in my opinion, I don't mean to offend anything stated, I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Was it that it could've been better? Did you not like the direction it took? What aspects would you of changed, had you had the reins to steer the lore?
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 60 Sentinel & Ergus - 47 Vanguard
Kodamy - 60 Sniper & Maalis - 31 Sith Warrior