Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In Which Order do You Invest Points into Different Skill Trees?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
In Which Order do You Invest Points into Different Skill Trees?

swtonewbie
05.31.2014 , 04:16 AM | #21
I do the main tree first, especially if the level 20 and the top tier talents are ones that i really want. I also dont spend my points all willy nilly either. It takes 5 points in any of the previous tiers to progress to the next tier. So i'll spend 5 points in the first tier, but if only 3 points are worth spending in the second tier i'll spend 3 points there and spend 2 points on the first tier and this will unlock the third tier. I wont spend points just to spend them or take talents just to take them, unless there is absolutely nothing else worth spending talent points on in that tree. I'll read the talent description and if it sounds like something that matches my build or playstyle or whatever then i'll take it.
I'm not really a noob...

EranofArcadia
05.31.2014 , 08:46 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by swtonewbie View Post
It takes 5 points in any of the previous tiers to progress to the next tier. So i'll spend 5 points in the first tier, but if only 3 points are worth spending in the second tier i'll spend 3 points there and spend 2 points on the first tier and this will unlock the third tier.
Really? hmm . . . Time to do some respeccing.

Heal-To-Full
06.02.2014 , 02:40 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?
Levels 10-19: You can't get anything that affects gameplay at these levels. Look at whatever ability in the first or second tier is the most immediately useful to you and take it.

Levels 20-45: At level 20 you can get your first Tier 3 ability, which is usually the first one that has anything to do with the given tree. Between 20 and 45, it's all a race to the top ability of your chosen skill tree.
So at level 20, if you have a key tier 3 ability (say, Kolto Probe for operative), you respec and put all points in your chosen tree. Subscribers have free respec.

Levels 46-55: Fill out the rest of the spec.

For some specs, the first useful ability hangs higher than tier 3, for classes that have hybrid specs the "level 45-46" crossover point will come sooner, like level 35. For instance, Sorc and Sniper would want to go hybrid early. A partial hybrid is generally better than filling out the tree, because tiers 6-7 tend to be lackluster in classes that use hybrids.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.