Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In Which Order do You Invest Points into Different Skill Trees?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
In Which Order do You Invest Points into Different Skill Trees?

DomiSotto
05.26.2014 , 06:13 AM | #1
It looks like most of the builds have 5-10 points invested into secondary trees, and then 36+ in the 'main' tree. I normally filled out all the low tier ability left to right in a systematic way, though now I prefer to start with bumping the primary stat first... is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?

septembersphinx
05.26.2014 , 06:41 AM | #2
I would not say that order has a significant impact on the early levels. It does make more of a difference in the 45-55 range, because the earliest you'll be able to get your top tree ability is level 45, if you've invested all your points into one tree. This is usually a pretty key ability, and the sooner you can take advantage of it, and get comfortable using it, the better.

DomiSotto
05.26.2014 , 06:46 AM | #3
So, the main tree first, then the side-trees, with the left-over points?

dr_mike
05.26.2014 , 07:10 AM | #4
Gotta admit that I do the side trees first but only because of personal choice. Once I know that those side trees have their 5-7 points, I know they don't have to be looked at again.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of those crazy Sith....

Danylia
05.26.2014 , 08:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
It looks like most of the builds have 5-10 points invested into secondary trees, and then 36+ in the 'main' tree. I normally filled out all the low tier ability left to right in a systematic way, though now I prefer to start with bumping the primary stat first... is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?
It really depends on your class and the main tree. For example, Seer/Balance Sage will probably invest first five points in Telekinetics Tree, because Mental Longevity and Inner Strength are very valuable, especially at lower levels. But generally, reaching the top-tier ability as fast as possible, that is investing first 36 points into the main tree, doesn't hurt.

You can also play around with the Field Respecialization - the Seer Sage may put first five points into TK tree, another 30 into Seer tree, and as soon as they get the 36th point, they respec to get Salvation.

Bumping the primary stat should be done last, not first. 9% out of 200 Cunning won't make any real difference - 9% out of 3000 Cunning will.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Last nights group finder was a mess. The short version is that two of the people were really bad but the tank was pretty good. After we called it I asked the tank if he wanted to queue up with me. He said "I'm eleven and I have to go to bed".
The one guy who knew what he was doing was eleven years old.

Luneward
05.26.2014 , 01:52 PM | #6
I'm siding with Danyla here. Depends entirely on the spec. For example a pyrotech mercenery (assault commando) should probably almost always start with two points in the gunnery tree because pushback resistance is that valuable. Pretty much all sages like a few points in telekenetics at first. I know some assasin tanks who go up the madness tree until they hit the 11 point talent since they really don't get much snap aoe burst - then don't respec to full darkness until around level 45.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

Jedi_riches
05.27.2014 , 02:12 AM | #7
I have often wondered this, especially on my new powertech, I am using Dulfy's guide for Pyrotech seen here http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/p...22101122203323 now from what I understand this is similar to assault spec on troopers so my focus is on HIB/RS doing most of my damage so points in puncture and rail loaders seems needed early, plus since I know flame burst becomes my main filler so that means Prototype Burn Enhancers to enhance flame attacks seem to be a must early also.

Can anybody tell me if my line of thoughts above is valid , I only ask because I enjoy playing the game but really don't understand a lot of the game mechanics such as I always seem to increase my main stat ASAP (so as above I am really wasting 3 points early on.

JeepWithGuy
05.27.2014 , 03:49 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
So, the main tree first, then the side-trees, with the left-over points?
The big levels are 20 and 45. When you hit level 20, you have enough points to get your first big spec-specific ability. After that, level 45 is when you unlock your 'ultimate' ability for your class.

As long as you don't mind respeccing at 20 and 45, you can pretty much take whatever you want. Personally, I like to put all 20 points in the same tree, and then take the talent that gives your mainstat if it's in another tree. You can respec at 45 too. The first respec is free, and it resets after a week. Even if you reach 45 in that week, the cost is super minimal.

After that, you can fill 'em out however you like!
Constant Warfare: MMO helpsite. You just have to ask.
Pylan Traitine

Halinalle
05.27.2014 , 04:15 AM | #9
Pretty much what everyone has said.

As a tank you want to increase damage and threat of your hardest hitting threat builder. For example as Assassin/Shadow tank you want to take talent from Deception/Infiltration tree that gives you 45% chance to get second Shock/Project because it's your most important threat builder.

As dps you generally want to do as much damage as possible so any boost to your hardest hitting abilities is a good thing to have.

Sage/Sorc specific:
+100 force talent from TK/Lightning tree is very useful for any Sage/Sorc at lower levels and especially if you're heal spec'd.
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 3x Assassin (2xP, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

Fidelicatessen
05.27.2014 , 06:02 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JeepWithGuy View Post
The first respec is free, and it resets after a week. Even if you reach 45 in that week, the cost is super minimal.
Small correction: if you're a subscriber (and if you're posting here, you must be), ALL respecs are free. You can respec every 3 minutes all day long and it won't cost a dime.