Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I need help on where to start reading.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
I need help on where to start reading.

Orcjedi
05.25.2014 , 07:59 PM | #1
i just wanna start getting novels... but my knowledge is very little.. i dont know where to start.. i went to a comic book store and i saw a lot of novels and comics yet i didnt bought anything cause i didnt know wich one to get... the only knowledge i know from SW is from movies and clone wars.. i would like to know what u can recommend me to start with.. i would like to know the WHOLE SW universe.. from the very beginning.. if someone could help me out please.. i would appreciate it..

Slecnaztemnot
05.26.2014 , 03:06 AM | #2
Yeah, it can be kind of overwhelming.
Usually, the best books to start with is the Thrawn Trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. It takes place a few years after the Return of the Jedi and it's one of the best books out there. But keep in mind it's probably not "canon" anymore, since we will have the new movies soon.
(it's also technically a begining, I think it was the first SW book ever written)

As for reading completely everything, I don't think it's such a good idea. For one, there's a lot of SW books and comics, a really lot of them. For two, lot of them are pretty ****** and not worth reading.

Other good SW books are (in my opinion) Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor written by Mathew Stover, Jedi Apprentice series by Jude Watson (about Obi-Wan and how he became Qui-Gon's padawan, but it's more a young adult book), Jedi Quest series by the same author (about Anakin and his padawan years), Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry (takes place between episode 5 and 6), the Han Solo trilogy by A. C. Crispin (about young Han Solo and his life)...

I also heard that X-WIng series is good, but I haven't read it myself. Also Shatterpoint by Mathew Stover should be good (takes place during the Clone Wars)

Or, if you really want to read everything from the very beginning, take a look here - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timel..._Legends_books and just start reading chronologically.
So, the first book to read would be Dawn of the Jedi by Tim Lebbon. But I really don't know if it is worth reading or not, you will have to find out yourself.

Hope that helped.

KungFooZombie
05.26.2014 , 06:26 AM | #3
I guess there are two ways to start reading chronologically. You could start reading the first books that were written or you could start reading the books that are taking place earliest in the Star Wars timeline.

A few months back I ordered a second hand copy of Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. It's from 1978 and the first Star Wars book in the Expanded Universe, I believe.

But now I started playing SWTOR again and realizing how awesome the old republic era is, I'm going to change from reading the earliest publications to reading what happened earliest on the SW timeline.

Being a geek sure can be a lot of work

PS
I just finished listening the truly amazing Darth Bane trilogy audiobooks. So I can assure you that's something to look forward to!

csant
05.26.2014 , 10:04 AM | #4
I just started to read some myself and I went with The Bane series, then Revan and I just finished the thrawn series. I will follow that with Zahn's Specter of the past.

Bane series absolutely rocks as does Revan's... Thrawn series was just as good.
Styls - lv55 Sentinel, Xenogear - lv60 Operative, Shadostryke - lv55 Jedi Shadow, Incident - lv55 Sorc.

Orcjedi
05.26.2014 , 10:54 AM | #5
thank you so much for your time guys.. im gonna start looking for those u recommend me.

DarthDymond
05.26.2014 , 11:11 AM | #6
I always suggest that people start with Heir to the Empire, it is immediately accessible with only knowledge of the movies, is a good novel in its own right, and it starts establishing characters, species, and plot points that go on to play almost as large a role in the rest of the EU as the films themselves. (The only thing to bear in mind is that they were published before the prequel movies, so some of the dates they mention for the Clone Wars don't really add up).

Only reason I would say to start anywhere else would be if there was a different era or specific aspect of the SW universe you were particularly interested in. For example, if you're more interested in the Old Republic Era, I would suggest starting with the Tales of the Jedi Comics, with either the Golden Age of the Sith miniseries or the Knights of the Old Republic miniseries. Or if you're primarily interested in the space combat/dog-fighting aspect of the Universe, the X-Wing series starting with Rogue Squadron is good.

My suggested read order for the post-Return of the Jedi novels & comics: (Spoiler box is just for length)
Spoiler
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

psandak
05.26.2014 , 11:17 AM | #7
There are two trains of thought: order of release or timeline

Slecnaztemnot's suggestion about starting with the Thrawn Trilogy is based in the order of release mindset. Heir to the Empire was in fact the first novel written about the Star Wars universe. This trilogy of books spawned the EU, so most of the novels written thereafter tied into each other well (at least for a while).

From a purely chronological perspective the Dawn of the Jedi graphic novel is where it all begins - circa 26,000 years before the Battle of Yavin (BBY: you will find that the Star Wars chronology is centered on the end of E4-ANH...The Battle of Yavin; events that take place prior to that point are indicated as BBY and events after that point are indicated as ABY).

For a full list and chronology of books see: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timel..._Legends_books (looks like Wookieepedia has updated to represent all the old EU as "Legends".

My suggestions as to what to read (in no particular order):
  • Thrawn Trilogy - The New Republic is in place but the Empire is not gone
  • Jedi Academy Trilogy - Luke starts to rebuild the Jedi Order
  • I, Jedi - first person perspective of the events of the Jedi Academy Trilogy
  • X-wing series - Story about Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron (warning: no lightsabers or Force use)
  • Han Solo Trilogy - the story of Han Solo from his youth to just before the events of ANH
  • Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy - Boba Fett is the protagonist...'nuff said.
  • Lost Tribe of the Sith short stories - nine ebook short stories starting 5000 BBY about a band of Sith stranded on a planet
  • Darth Bane Trilogy - See how the Sith Empire became two Sith - One master, One apprentice
  • Darth Plagueis - The story of Palpatine and his Sith master Darth Plagueis
  • Labyrinth of Evil - a prequel to RotS
  • Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader - an epilogue to RotS
  • Outbound Flight - a project that takes place during the early days of the PT
  • Hand of Thrawn Duology - The fear of Grand Admiral Thrawn lingers
  • Allegiance & Choices of One - get a glimpse at the characters introduced in the Thrawn Trilogy during the events of the OT.
  • Shadows of the Empire - story based on the video game of the same name

I'll be honest, the New Jedi Order (AKA the Vong) series got me out of reading Star Wars novels for a LONG time. And when I got back into it, I have only read BBY and "during/in between the events of the movies" books since.

Orcjedi
05.27.2014 , 02:28 PM | #8
Wow so many lol.. from all those mentioned..could u tell me wich one is best to read first..

TAOCAL
05.27.2014 , 03:52 PM | #9
I'll let you know what not to get....

Truce at Bakura.

I just chose this book out of the blue Yeeeeears ago to get into Star Wars Novels... I never finished it and told myself i will never read another SW book again, because they will all suck.

Until The Thrawn Trilogy.

MrGoldsilver
05.27.2014 , 06:45 PM | #10
I recommend:
-X-wing books
-Any (and all) of Zahn's books
-NJO
-LotF
-FotJ
couple others scattered around that are also good.

What not to read
Crystal Star, it is somewhat random and not a very good book.
Truce at Bakura wasn't all that great either.
I didn't like Death Troopers, but that's my preference (If you like Zombie Star Wars, by all means read it)
I didn't really like Jedi Trial either.
Bioware: Please fix Engineering Sniper!
Toons: Mrgoldsilver, Chaf'orm'bintra, Lordhector, Naua'den, Slitheren, Zhaus, Hyaun, Dist'rak'basku, Mrsgoldsilver, Notsew, Mr-Weapons, Knighthector, Janusar, Adriondack
<WookieGroomers>-The Harbinger-