Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can I help player improve in GSF?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How can I help player improve in GSF?

BulletsChase
05.24.2014 , 08:27 PM | #1
So pub side on my server can get laughable bad at times, however I know many people that are queuing are simply new to the game. Aside from trying to give call outs in pvp, what can I do help the community at large get better, (for those willing to listen).

Slivovidze
05.25.2014 , 01:00 AM | #2
You can't really. If they are just strangers willing to learn, you can try and explain them stuff, out of the battle. In battle, there isn't much time to communicate with strangers. If they are your friends though, and you can cooperate in person, or at least on voice comm, you can help them a lot.

I brought my buddy to SWTOR and GSF, and while in the first several matches he was hopelessly bad and wanted to quit, I kinda forced him to give it a couple more tries, and with my constant shouts about who to focus, where to go, who to avoid and who to hide from, he actually began getting some kills and having fun. Now I just fly around him with my Spearpoint or Clarion, buffing and repairing him, while he gains more experience.

JeepWithGuy
05.25.2014 , 07:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BulletsChase View Post
So pub side on my server can get laughable bad at times, however I know many people that are queuing are simply new to the game. Aside from trying to give call outs in pvp, what can I do help the community at large get better, (for those willing to listen).
Good for you for wanting to help your community first off. It can be hard, but, there are some things you can do.

1. Get people to /cjoin GSF channel. That puts like minded players in the same place to ask questions, form groups, and build comraderie.

2. Know where the resources are. If someone wants a build in particular, there are forum threads, website guides, and YouTube videos. Using a 'tested' build is a good foundation. As a player grows in experience, they can make informed decisions.

3. Provide voice chat. Hate it or not, it will improve your performance more than any single upgrade.

4. Play wingman. A Clarion/Imperium is perfect for this. Heal and/or peel for a new/struggling player. Forego your own score, and support them until they can get a better handle on things.

5. Network with pilots you consider good. Send them a whisper, say hello in chat at game start. I've met probably 2-3 people that I wouldn't miss playing with again. The far, far larger majority of players -like- getting questions -and- helping. Learn what ships they play, so you know where to direct people with ship-specific questions.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully others can provide more too. What server are you on, out of curiosity?
Constant Warfare: MMO helpsite. You just have to ask.
Pylan Traitine

DamascusAdontise
05.25.2014 , 11:37 AM | #4
The biggest thing you can do IMO is to add people who you want to help to friends list and talk to them after the game. See if they want to group, try to get them to use VOIP and the questions should start to flow after a couple games. If not you can always try giving pointers (if they wont ask)

Like others have said I try to get them to join a GSF channel and check the forums for the guides. Beyond this there is not much you can do, on Bastion we managed to get a community going like this. Most of it is just 1 on 1 help, its good to see people like yourself willing to do this. Most are content to do nothing about it and just get more and more frustrated. Goodluck, its an uphill battle friend.
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

Ryuku-sama
05.25.2014 , 11:54 AM | #5
Just fly with them. Help them understand the game.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

BulletsChase
05.25.2014 , 12:50 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JeepWithGuy View Post
Good for you for wanting to help your community first off. It can be hard, but, there are some things you can do.

1. Get people to /cjoin GSF channel. That puts like minded players in the same place to ask questions, form groups, and build comraderie.

2. Know where the resources are. If someone wants a build in particular, there are forum threads, website guides, and YouTube videos. Using a 'tested' build is a good foundation. As a player grows in experience, they can make informed decisions.

3. Provide voice chat. Hate it or not, it will improve your performance more than any single upgrade.

4. Play wingman. A Clarion/Imperium is perfect for this. Heal and/or peel for a new/struggling player. Forego your own score, and support them until they can get a better handle on things.

5. Network with pilots you consider good. Send them a whisper, say hello in chat at game start. I've met probably 2-3 people that I wouldn't miss playing with again. The far, far larger majority of players -like- getting questions -and- helping. Learn what ships they play, so you know where to direct people with ship-specific questions.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully others can provide more too. What server are you on, out of curiosity?
This is really helpful, I'll keep this in mind going forward! I'm on Jung Ma (RP-PVP)

General_Brass
05.25.2014 , 01:04 PM | #7
1. Tell them to schedule their GSF matches for times when their side does well on their server. This has two effects, first it lets them earn req faster giving them better ships which improves their performance. Second it means they likely won't have to fight 4 or 5, that are fighting to see how quickly they can kill the noob.

2. Tell them to get a voip premade. Because no matter how good they get they aren't going to be able to solo against a couple of gunships backed by a personal guard of a scouts and strikes. So unless they enjoy being pounded by people playing a fundamentally different game with different rules they need to do this.

JeepWithGuy
05.25.2014 , 05:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BulletsChase View Post
This is really helpful, I'll keep this in mind going forward! I'm on Jung Ma (RP-PVP)
I still have a 55 trooper there gathering dust. Really good competition, just super slow queues.
Constant Warfare: MMO helpsite. You just have to ask.
Pylan Traitine

BulletsChase
05.25.2014 , 09:11 PM | #9
I still have a 55 trooper there gathering dust. Really good competition, just super slow queues.
Yeah, although it has gotten a bit better lately. hopefully we can improve it

Magira
05.26.2014 , 02:15 AM | #10

As long as no voic chat is built right into the game AND it is ensured that all use it, it only leads to

- Isolation from most other players
- Own advantage at the cost of game balance

The better way is good and friendly coordination on the chat.
Einistra - Assasin/Pilot Guild : PUG / Ynaxi - Shadow/Pilot Server: Red Eclipse
Ainola - Powertech/Pilot Server: The Bastion
Lilora - Sage/Pilot Server: The Ebon Hawk
Pomsta - Assasin/Pilot Server: T3-M4