Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Serious question for serious gamers...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Serious question for serious gamers...

12.23.2011 , 10:08 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by liltikiboy View Post
smack her darkside with your lightsaber!!

lol :d
Guild BG Heroes

12.23.2011 , 10:08 AM | #12
I got my last gf to play wow and the only reason she continued to play it was to teach me a lesson on how it felt to be neglected over a game and to force me not to be abke to play it as she hogged the PC. But then my young padawans...I got a gaming laptop and her "little game" backfired.

12.23.2011 , 10:09 AM | #13
Some people are gamers , female or male it doesnt matter.some people just dont or wont game.

12.23.2011 , 10:10 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Korizan View Post
Bottom line you have to respect the things she does that you don't particularly like and she has to do the same for you.

You don't have to do everything together, in fact it is healthy to have your own space.
Agreed. To each their own.

Also, what kind of 'teasing' are we talking about here? If it's affectionate, or gentle ribbing, she may be trying to coax you to talk about SWTOR in a way that she will understand so that she can understand your hobby. However, if it's more spiteful, you need to tell her it's not on and to respect what you like just as you respect what she likes.

(All of this is written from a female perspective. This is what I would do if I were in a similar situation with my boyfriend.)
Someday to be the Grand High Empress of Quirm.

12.23.2011 , 10:11 AM | #15
Well, first why is she making fun of you? Do you play too much? Play instead of other things that involve her? etc etc, if that is the case need to re-evaluate your priorities OR make a deal with her once you get it out of your system.

If none of the above, well - yes it is possible (how possible is up to the woman in question). My wife used to pick on me for playing MMO's (I think I was playing horizons at the time) and I finally just said "tell you what, you make a character and play. IF you do not like it, or cannot find anything fun about it, I will cut back my play time. Otherwise, you no longer can say anything ). Well, she did. Now she is a top character in my guild, hefty and competent raider and has played everything I have since.

A lot of times they pick because they don't get it or see any value to it or are jealous.

Your other option, which I do anyway because while I am a dedicated gamer and have been for over 2 decades, I do see recognize it is ultimately a waste of time and kind of silly - but I still enjoy it! I will actually pick on myself from time to time when faced with a gaming-neophyte. Takes their ammo away and we move onto other topics

Good luck to you!
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

12.23.2011 , 10:13 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Torothin View Post
How do I get my girlfriend to not make fun of me for playing SWTOR and is it possible to get her to play as well? How? Discuss!
First of old are you and your girfriend? I'm guessing you and her are young if she " makes fun of you for playing TOR"

She has no business making fun. It's a different time. 20 years ago this was " nerd stuff", now it's " cool to be a nerd". sci- fi, and fantasy are main stream now. A lot, or most people like some form of fantasy or sci-fi, where as 20 years ago it was a quieter " nerdier" thing.

What is a "nerd"? There's not really any such thing. It's just people being jack wagons, and thinking their likes and dislikes are superior.

20 years ago, the music, and the way guys dress these days would get you beat up. ( Justin Timberlake / back street boys, or what have you.)
Now, guys dress like pretty boys,and listen to that crap. ( I realize I'm being a hypacrite as far as what I said above about jackwagons, but on this point I won't budge :P The music industry, and current fashion is a unfortunate joke )

Things change.

12.23.2011 , 10:17 AM | #17
Grow up and be confident enough in yourself to do what makes you happy. That's a start.

My little sister said the other day to me(a gamer...obviously) that she hopes any guys she dates have outgrown gaming and that it was one of the reasons she dumped her ex.

I rolled my eyes at her and said no one "outgrows" gaming and it has nothing to do with age. I left it at that.

Some girls/women want to look at it as immaturity, but I have my own opinions about them slathering makeup on their face(yet I keep them to myself).

Immaturity is forming opinions about others based on a hobby imo. Some of the most successful people in the world are online gamers. Some of the most worthless people in the world are self-absorbed "hotties" who spend hours applying makeup(both men and women), buying clothes, and drinking poison(alcohol) hoping to find "the one" by bed hopping in a drunken stupor.

Do what makes you happy! Understand?

One day you'll be on your deathbed with only the knowledge that you enjoyed a happy life doing the things you wanted to do. If you do only what someone else wants you to do you will not be happy. It's cool to imagine being some superstar or the life of the party but the fact of the matter most will never make it there.

Any woman who wants you to stop gaming is still trying to live that childish dream of "success" through "The Secret" and sees your gaming as something that holds you back.

That said if you have someone in your life and responsibilities it's best to game in moderation. Like I said successful people are gamers too, they just happen to pencil their gaming into their schedule. Put pen to paper.

I wouldn't try to get your girlfriend to be a gamer if she doesn't want to be. Best to just show her you can manage your time and put her first when she wants to spend time with you.

Sorry if this turned into a long rant but I get tired of the idea that gaming is bad and everyone should be focused on working out, drinking alcohol, and becoming a business tycoon. Too many people are searching for something that will never come to them. I live my fantasies through gaming and enjoy my real life knowing I can be satisfied with an "average" life.

12.23.2011 , 10:47 AM | #18
Find a new girlfriend.
The Phoenicians / Dark Phoenicians [Begeron Colony] | Ray (Jedi Guardian) | Paragon (Sith Marauder)

12.23.2011 , 10:59 AM | #19
I've tried dating non-gamers in the past. It just doesn't work.
"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them."

12.23.2011 , 10:59 AM | #20
Make fun of the crappy tv shows she watches. She's a girl, she has to watch at least one terribad show, like Jersey Shore or Toddlers and Tiaras. Make fun of them and her. A lot. Then point out that she can watch her crappy shows if you can play your nerdy video games. Problem solved!