Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tankassin, Absorption rate or Defense rate?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Tankassin, Absorption rate or Defense rate?

theonepanda
12.25.2011 , 08:17 AM | #11
Shield has the worst returns on actual mitigation.

It is true that it will lower your chances of being hit more than defense will, but defense provides very good mitigation AND very good total hit reduction.

It is the best stat even until high amounts of rating...at that point you can choose to go absorption (highest return on total mitigation) or stay defense.

Annabelle
12.25.2011 , 10:08 AM | #12
But defense doesn't defend against magic attacks right? whereas shielding will I thought.

80% Explorer | 60% Achiever | 53% Socializer | 13% Killer

theonepanda
12.25.2011 , 10:49 AM | #13
I'm fairly certain shield is only physical type damage as well.

Furthermore, we're already the best magic tanks because of force shroud.

jimmielorenz
12.25.2011 , 11:07 AM | #14
to me it would make more sence to go with absorb, being as it is that we have the best sheild chance in the game that SC and ABS would be our best stats. yes we will take consistant dmg but thats the point of a class that mitigates dmg instead of avoiding it. also tanks that mitigate dmg do not take spikey dmg whereas tanks that avoid dmg to bc they dont have to dmg reduction part.

Modyn
12.25.2011 , 02:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by theonepanda View Post
Until there is proof that there actually exist diminishing returns, there is absolutely no reason to have a spread of stats. In fact the more of a stat you gain, the better it becomes to gain it.

Because gear is infinitely modular unlike in WoW, there is no reason to stack anything other than your main choice of defensive stat.

I am also unsure about accuracy. There is no actual experimentation in that about whether tanks need accuracy cap to hold threat. Furthermore, base accuracy is already 90%, so its not like you're whiffing all the time.

EDIT:

also the compendium on sith warrior is very, very wrong on its analysis of the different builds. Darkness/madness has lower single target dps than pure darkness? Really?

Also while the debuff from wither might stack, I very much doubt that the actual damage reduction stacks. Otherwise, why wouldn't you bring 8 darkness assassins and have -40% damage dealt?
Do you have any hard data to back that up? The guys at Sithwarrior have been theorycrafting this since early Beta.

The thread I originally posted was split from the original thread. The first post in the link has the rating graphs and you can find plenty of math to back it up, if you want. Obviously, this is all preliminary until there's a much larger level 50 sample size, but for where we're at now, it's about the most solid info we have.

Basically, Defense is definitely good, but you're not severely gimped if you favor another stat more than others.
~=< Intense Cold >=~
In the Dark comes the Intense Cold!
West Coast / PVE / Casual

Annabelle
12.25.2011 , 02:39 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by theonepanda View Post
I'm fairly certain shield is only physical type damage as well.

Furthermore, we're already the best magic tanks because of force shroud.
Looked a little closer at it. Damage Reduction % is based on armor alone it looks like and protects against all types of damage (magic/melee). As far as I can tell the Damage Reduction % decreases damage taken on a normal hit.

Defense Chance being avoidance of ranged and melee attacks, with a smaller % of magic attack resistance.

Shield chance is ranged or melee, not magic (like you said), and the Shield Absorption % is how much damage is reduced when shield procs.

So...defense is the only thing that can defend us from magic beyond force shroud and armor rating? Am I misunderstanding something?

Nethershadow
12.25.2011 , 04:09 PM | #17
I noticed in the hybrid build no one puts value to "corrupted flesh" for 15% reduction on dot damage. Is this not something that would greatly benefit a tank and in many cases affect magic damage mitigation?

Annabelle
12.25.2011 , 04:22 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Nethershadow View Post
I noticed in the hybrid build no one puts value to "corrupted flesh" for 15% reduction on dot damage. Is this not something that would greatly benefit a tank and in many cases affect magic damage mitigation?
I don't know enough about the end game yet to see if this would really be an overall benefit over the other talents. Probably overall you don't take a lot of dot damage. So far around lvl 30 I have not come across much dot damage that wasn't avoidable (like standing in fire).

Belecfaron
12.25.2011 , 04:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Nethershadow View Post
Note how Parisitism applies to Force Lightning because it is a periodic damage ability. Thus it would be logical to think that Corrupted Flesh would apply to all channeled period damage abilities as well. It needs testing, but it could be a much broader mitigation (albeit situational) than most are thinking.
Brynhildn Foehammer of Lord Adraas
Agent Carmichael Foehammer
Officer of the Sons of Numenor & Scions of Korriban

Nethershadow
12.25.2011 , 05:35 PM | #20
I am curious as well about why take some talents like energy reducers for certain abilities like Torment / Fanatacism ext over talents like Parasitism? For a complete tankability wouldn't you want Parasitism and Corrupted Flesh over the energy reducers or even some damage increases?