Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tankassin, Absorption rate or Defense rate?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Tankassin, Absorption rate or Defense rate?

ChazDoit
12.23.2011 , 09:51 AM | #1
I have to choose mods with either absorption or defense bonus, which one is better and why?

vdbswong
12.23.2011 , 11:38 AM | #2
I personally go/went for Absorption.

Defense is for Parry/Dodges etc. and although the Assassin gets a minor boost to these when Talented, it seems like you need to stack quite a lot in order for it to make a significant different (unlike a Juggernaut who can get up to 25% Defense Chance relatively easily just from Talents).

On the other hand, Darkness Assassins get access to Dark Ward which will increase Shield Chance by 15% to a total of 35%. Also, Absorption seems to scale better with the rating as i currently have 33pts for +5%, whereas for Defense i have 47pts for +2.85%.

Obviously Absorption only mitigates a set amount of Damage whilst Defense will completely bypass it, but i just felt that the Assassin lent more towards using Shields.

vdbswong
12.23.2011 , 11:47 AM | #3
Double Post.

pinkfreudHC
12.24.2011 , 10:52 AM | #4
Healers like mitigation tanks more than avoidance tanks. Avoidance tanks have a bad habit of not dodging the big hitters and going splat.

theonepanda
12.24.2011 , 01:17 PM | #5
Except in this game mitigation is not pure mitigation.

If you want to lower your chance of eating a full hit, stack def.

Def stacking is the way to go until you hit endgame content.

Refer to the compendium for more maths! *flee*

renegadeimp
12.24.2011 , 04:10 PM | #6
edited
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

ajchristensen
12.24.2011 , 08:37 PM | #7
Defense, for sure. You can defend before your shield even has a chance of going off and absorbing x%, right? Maths. Science. =P Refer compendium.

Modyn
12.24.2011 , 09:07 PM | #8
Check out this thread on SithWarrior. According to some of the theorycrafting (can't remember what page it's on) a balance of all 3 is fine (defense/shield/absorption). There's some good graphs in there.
~=< Intense Cold >=~
In the Dark comes the Intense Cold!
West Coast / PVE / Casual

theonepanda
12.25.2011 , 07:04 AM | #9
Until there is proof that there actually exist diminishing returns, there is absolutely no reason to have a spread of stats. In fact the more of a stat you gain, the better it becomes to gain it.

Because gear is infinitely modular unlike in WoW, there is no reason to stack anything other than your main choice of defensive stat.

I am also unsure about accuracy. There is no actual experimentation in that about whether tanks need accuracy cap to hold threat. Furthermore, base accuracy is already 90%, so its not like you're whiffing all the time.

EDIT:

also the compendium on sith warrior is very, very wrong on its analysis of the different builds. Darkness/madness has lower single target dps than pure darkness? Really?

Also while the debuff from wither might stack, I very much doubt that the actual damage reduction stacks. Otherwise, why wouldn't you bring 8 darkness assassins and have -40% damage dealt?

Annabelle
12.25.2011 , 07:42 AM | #10
Until you have an ungodly amount of absorption I'd say use the shield stat over defense. Our class has the best shielding chance and it will help our more avoidance tanking style easier for healers to heal as the damage incoming will be reduced overall and less spiky.

80% Explorer | 60% Achiever | 53% Socializer | 13% Killer