Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GSF: Strike Nights

Hanak
05.26.2014 , 06:08 PM | #21
WHOA hold on there!

Each match I've been in has been dominated predominately by strikes. Sure there are some non-conformists who are being blown to bits but they are learning the error of their ways.

So far, this has been a blast!
Ukvayat Hanak
Saberwing
Operations Leader and Recruitment Officer
"Return with Honor"

Damidez
05.26.2014 , 09:24 PM | #22
Shayd, thanks for suggesting this event!

It has been a ton of fun this evening seeing a squadron of Strike Fighters out in the friendly skies. There have been a few folks in each match that didn't know or didn't want to play along, but on the whole, it has really been Strike Night! I've had a super-fun time dusting off the old ships I haven't flown in a while. The matches have been a lot closer, too, and that is always awesome.
Irialle Sunstorm
Kaltur

Nemarus
05.26.2014 , 10:01 PM | #23
I came on a bit later in the evening, but by the time I was playing, the vast majority of pilots were not only participating, but had removed all non-Strikes from their bar. Kudos and thank you! ^_^

I certainly had a ton of fun (playing on both factions), and on both sides there seemed to be a very positive reaction to the event and a hope that it would continue on a weekly basis.

That being said, there were some people who said Mondays were difficult for them. I welcome everyone to propose alternate times in this thread.

That being said, tonight had a pretty solid crowd, and until we decide differently, let's assume the next Strike Night will be next Monday.
Shayd/Callem - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

BrianDavion
05.26.2014 , 10:02 PM | #24
I'm all for this thing being weekly. that said Mondays aren't the best for me personally. I'd perfer tuesdays (although getting people to volenatarily take a differnt choice on the days the dalies and weeklies come up might admittinfly be harder) still definatly in favor of this. it felt good to just get in there and mix it up

Purrversion
05.27.2014 , 05:49 AM | #25
Man I dunno. The few times I hopped in my horribly ungeared strike on imp side I was murdered either by groups of holy-cow-that-guy-vaped-me-in-2-seconds or by that-regular-I-know-oughta-know-about-Strike-night-yet-just-killed-me-twice-in-a-gunship. XD
A'jak

wvwraith
05.27.2014 , 09:54 AM | #26
I think strike night was a success imo. Most people were flying their strikes. I had a good laugh when people flying gunships and bombers got dog piled throughout the match. For the most part they were in check. Seen a few scouts, but no big deal really. I'm down for this being weekly. I can do probably just about any night. Honestly thought strike night was going to get trolled, but kudos for it not happening. There were more explosions last night than in a Michael Bay movie. In fact he'd be envious of strike night.
And thanks to Shayd for putting this thing together. Maybe we could do a scout night too one day. That would be fun!
Sonya Storm Jedi Sage
Motavu -Sentinel
Momiji - Commando
Saber-wing Pilot

Nemarus
05.27.2014 , 10:16 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by wvwraith View Post
I think strike night was a success imo. Most people were flying their strikes. I had a good laugh when people flying gunships and bombers got dog piled throughout the match. For the most part they were in check. Seen a few scouts, but no big deal really. I'm down for this being weekly. I can do probably just about any night. Honestly thought strike night was going to get trolled, but kudos for it not happening. There were more explosions last night than in a Michael Bay movie. In fact he'd be envious of strike night.
And thanks to Shayd for putting this thing together. Maybe we could do a scout night too one day. That would be fun!
I got enough of "Scout night" back pre-2.6 :P

The thing I really enjoyed about Strike night was the pace. There were no instant kills. Everything was deliberate and methodical. Shield and energy management was hugely important.

As we do more Strike nights, that's something I'm going to pay key attention to: what are the aspects that make it fun, and can we push those aspects more strongly across all ships in the general game? For example, after last night, I'm more convinced than ever that GSF's fun and accessibility would be massively improved if burst damage was drastically reduced across the board. The reduction of burst damage simply allows more aspects of the game (like shield regen management) to flourish and shine.

Sidenti
05.27.2014 , 01:19 PM | #28
I thought it was a good start, but it would be nice to have a contingency on hand to deal with the individuals who didn't want to participate - for example, that one match I did manage to get into with Shayd and Company was marred by the presence of what appeared to be a rather pimped-out drone bomber.

Not everyone's gonna participate, and I get that, but maybe next time if it gets to the point that it's hard to play the game presented to us, we can pair off and practice or something.

Or whatever. Participation isn't mandatory, so if it's overly dull or frustrating I can always slap the other ships back on the bar. -bp

summerlion
05.27.2014 , 02:52 PM | #29
I had a good time; definitely on board with doing it again.

My favorite part was the guy who looked at his team and saw only strike fighters, and proceeded to complain in /ops about how he was going to lose because his team was all "noobs". My teams had varying degrees of success all evening, but I'm happy to report that particular group of "noobs" won their match handily.
-- The Starsinger Legacy --
< Jira > | < Ingryd > | < Malitia >
< Malthea > | < Ka'risma >
-- The Ebon Hawk --

Nemarus
05.27.2014 , 03:18 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
I thought it was a good start, but it would be nice to have a contingency on hand to deal with the individuals who didn't want to participate - for example, that one match I did manage to get into with Shayd and Company was marred by the presence of what appeared to be a rather pimped-out drone bomber.

Not everyone's gonna participate, and I get that, but maybe next time if it gets to the point that it's hard to play the game presented to us, we can pair off and practice or something.

Or whatever. Participation isn't mandatory, so if it's overly dull or frustrating I can always slap the other ships back on the bar. -bp
The worst way to counter people who explicitly and knowingly choose to spoil others' fun is to imitate them. The best thing to do is apply gentle pressure to those on your team, and to bias targeting toward non-Strikes on the enemy team. After all, the event is voluntary, and some people may not even know it's going on if they don't frequent forums or [Gsf].

One Dronecarrier (or even two with a Gunship support, as we faced many times last night) isn't going to spoil the fun. Even just one half of an 8-man team using only Strikes changes the pace and feel of the match significantly.

It also seemed to me that groups of Strikes have a hidden synergy to them, or maybe all of us flying Strikes just had a greater sense of camaraderie than we normally do, and that translated into good team play. Certainly, the Dronecarriers had a really rough time as they were being constantly bombarded by EMP missiles and torpedoes from multiple sources whose shield could stand up to drone and seeker mine damage.