Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DEVS: Does "Firing Arc" describe the radius or diameter of the aiming circle?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
DEVS: Does "Firing Arc" describe the radius or diameter of the aiming circle?

Nemarus
05.21.2014 , 08:20 AM | #1
It's an important question, because it tells us what to expect with regard to the magnitude of Tracking Penalty.

For example, let's say I'm using basic Quad Laser Cannons. They have a Firing Arc of 24 degrees and a Tracking Penalty of -1.5%/degree.

Let's say I'm attempting to shoot something at the edge of my firing arc circle.

If the Firing Arc is the diameter of the circle, then it means I'm shooting 12 degrees off center, and I'm suffering -18% accuracy Tracking Penalty.

But if the Firing Arc is the radius of the circle, then it means I'm shooting 24 degrees off center, and I'm suffering a -36% accuracy Tracking Penalty.

As far as I know, we've never gotten a solid answer on this, nor am I sure how we players could derive the answer on our own...

UPDATE: Thanks to Kuciwalker, we are fairly certain Firing Arc is diameter, after all.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Ryuku-sama
05.21.2014 , 08:22 AM | #2
It describe the angle from directly infront of you to the edge of your firing arc
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

JeepWithGuy
05.21.2014 , 08:27 AM | #3
My guess is diameter because the sensor components state radius/diameter.

edit: I said something different at first, hit submit, and then realized it was wildly inaccurate. Drinking coffee now, sorry.
Constant Warfare: MMO helpsite. You just have to ask.
Pylan Traitine

Nemarus
05.21.2014 , 09:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
It describe the angle from directly infront of you to the edge of your firing arc
I suspect that's the case, giving how quickly Tracking Penalties seem to stack up, but I don't think we actually have any proof or confirmation of that.

And traditionally, a "firing arc" covers the whole arc, not just one half of it.

Grahame
05.21.2014 , 09:59 AM | #5
I'm 99.9% certain that the arc reported in the tool tip is the diameter of the firing circle. As evidence, I use the "Improved Kill Zone" crew member passive. It's described as adding 2 degrees to the firing arc and when you use it with, for example, quads your reported arc goes from 24 to 28. This means you gain 2 degrees more deflection but 4 more degrees on your total arc.

Kuciwalker
05.21.2014 , 10:05 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
It's an important question, because it tells us what to expect with regard to the magnitude of Tracking Penalty.
It's also one that's trivial to verify with visual inspection...

Altheran
05.21.2014 , 10:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'm 99.9% certain that the arc reported in the tool tip is the diameter of the firing circle. As evidence, I use the "Improved Kill Zone" crew member passive. It's described as adding 2 degrees to the firing arc and when you use it with, for example, quads your reported arc goes from 24 to 28. This means you gain 2 degrees more deflection but 4 more degrees on your total arc.
That's the exception. All weapons upgrades, when indicating a 2 degree improvement, will increase the firing arc value by 2. Only Improved Kill Zone will grant 4 while listed as 2.

But whatever, it giving 4 instead of 2 doesn't make a proof whether the firing arc indicated on weapons is radius or diameter at all.

Only valuable proof would be comparing the surface of disks drawn on screen before and after upgrades, then compare their ratio. Improving a radius or diameter by the same amount will result in different ratios.

Grahame
05.21.2014 , 10:27 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
That's the exception. All weapons upgrades, when indicating a 2 degree improvement, will increase the firing arc value by 2. Only Improved Kill Zone will grant 4 while listed as 2.

But whatever, it giving 4 instead of 2 doesn't make a proof whether the firing arc indicated on weapons is radius or diameter at all.

Only valuable proof would be comparing the surface of disks drawn on screen before and after upgrades, then compare their ratio. Improving a radius or diameter by the same amount will result in different ratios.
True, this is why I'm not 100% certain. Assuming that adding 4 degrees isn't a bug, the description only makes sense if the firing arc on the tool tip is the diameter and the +2 is to the radius.

Nemarus
05.21.2014 , 10:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
It's also one that's trivial to verify with visual inspection...
Can you please explain to me how you trivially verify this, given we don't know anything for sure about the viewing frustrum GSF uses, and given that the game uses a third-person camera?

Also keep in mind that the "degrees" we see in tooltips may not represent an actual degree as we understand it. Certainly, GSF's use of "m" for distance does not refer to real-life meters--otherwise most starfighters would be the size of Godzilla.

Also, have you looked at a protractor recently? Go to this site and look at what 19, 38, and 76 degrees looks like. I don't know about you, but when I think of a BLC Scout with a 38 degree firing arc, and what it looks like to target a ship at the edge of that arc, I find it far more plausible that the full diameter represents 76 degrees, and that center-to-edge represents 38 degrees, not 19.

magecutter
05.21.2014 , 10:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
It describe the angle from directly in front of you to the edge of your firing arc
a good question, hopefully eric or the GSF team will take pity on us and offer some insight.
my best guess... (just expanding on Ryuku-sama's post).

assuming the target is directly in front of you that would be 0 degrees. from that point it would be 24 degrees in any X Y (up/down left/right) direction. another way to put it is 24 degrees off center. which again could be in any X Y direction.

example: I'm strafing a defense turret at a sat and am lined up perfectly (0 degree firing arc) and a mine or drone is sitting close to it (lets say 10 degrees off my current center) at that point the tracking and accuracy penalties will kick in (by 10 degrees) if I change target to the mine or drone and until I adjust my trajectory to match the new target.

if trying to hit a moving target the 0 degree is still directly in front of you and it's a constant effort to bring the target as close to 0 as needed to hit it.

edit:
basically, wherever the nose of your ship is pointed that will be the 0 degree point. your targets position is always relative to that 0 degree point. the firing arc is the circle around that 0 degree point so radius (center point of circle to edge (target)) would be the correct answer.

hope this helps (and hope I'm even close to being correct)