Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Light Laser Cannon's tracking penalty too high?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Is Light Laser Cannon's tracking penalty too high?

QuinMantha
05.19.2014 , 07:57 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Additionally, as you're running toward me, I can backpeddle to give myself more time--something you can't do in GSF.
Retros.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

Verain
05.19.2014 , 08:53 PM | #22
I've been making a real college try of using Light Laser Cannons. After all, at short and middle range (< 3000m), they deal some serious burst damage ... assuming you can land two or three consecutive shots. And you'd think, given what ships they are available on, that they should be at least somewhat competitive with Burst Laser Cannons.
They actually don't so much deal burst damage as sustained damage. LLCs are the highest dps cannon in the game.

Quote:
The thing is ... they are simply too hard to hit with in short range combat, where it is very hard to keep an opponent near-center for any length of time (even with a Bloodmark using Tensor Field).
I'm not really sure. While I do share your difficulty, especially compared to BLC, I think it's one of those things that rewards very good aim a whole lot.

Quote:
Even fully upgraded, LLC's still suffer an oppressive tracking penalty of -1% per degree. Compare this to Rapids (which get -0.8%/degree) and Burst (which get a ridiculous -0.5%/degree).
Rapids are worse than Lights, period. You can see my thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=723029

The thing is, Lights are more dps- and normally more accurate- than rapids, because rapids have such a poor accuracy. But the terrible dps means that there's never any situation you would want light over rapids. The tracking penalty is therefore meaningless. Stop analyzing components piecemeal! Sometimes it is not appropriate!

Quote:
I really don't see why the tracking penalty of any of these weapons needs to be different. They are all limited to the same base range (4000m), which means they should all be equally difficult to line up a centered target.
Ignoring the worthless rapids, I'll give you a good reason:

Lights have the highest dps, so the tracking penalty is part of that disadvantage.

Quote:
For LLC's to ever be competitive with BLC's,
Do we need to make MORE things into BLCs?

Nemarus
05.19.2014 , 09:32 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post

Do we need to make MORE things into BLCs?
Lowering the tracking penalty of LLC's hardly makes them BLC's. There's still that pesky rate of fire thing, the smaller firing arc, the lack of crit, the lack of shield/armor piercing.

And honestly, even if LLC's were more like BLC's, at least a much wider variety of ships would have them, and undersat fighting could involve all classes, not just BLC Scouts and Bombers.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Kuciwalker
05.19.2014 , 09:45 PM | #24
Just played with LLC on my Trollvadive. Felt fine. Even without the T5 talent felt way more powerful than RFL.

Verain
05.19.2014 , 09:47 PM | #25
I just think picking the highest dps laser and deciding that it needs buffs because burst laser is a thing is not wise.

Nemarus
05.19.2014 , 09:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I just think picking the highest dps laser and deciding that it needs buffs because burst laser is a thing is not wise.
So when are you going to use LLC's on your Gunship or Battlescout? :P
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Kalphitis
05.20.2014 , 12:41 AM | #27
So when are you going to use LLC's on your Gunship or Battlescout? :P
If they nerfed TT and BO, would LLCs be more desirable compared to BLCs? Or would a direct nerf to BLCs be required to make LLCs a more viable option?

tunewalker
05.20.2014 , 12:46 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalphitis View Post
If they nerfed TT and BO, would LLCs be more desirable compared to BLCs? Or would a direct nerf to BLCs be required to make LLCs a more viable option?
it would take a direct nerf.

Altheran
05.20.2014 , 01:40 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalphitis View Post
The latter. BLC has disturbingly only offensive upgrade where all other cannons have some that are more neutral/QoL.

Also if only BLC is a thing with TT and BO, then change the common denominator : BLC.

Kalphitis
05.20.2014 , 01:58 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post

Also if only BLC is a thing with TT and BO, then change the common denominator : BLC.
Agree with the logic -- most people in other threads do not seem to though...