Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag all of a sudden

OwenBrooks
05.19.2014 , 06:22 AM | #11
Depending on the age of the laptop, thermal paste may need to be renewed (doesn't last forever) or dust has clogged the heatsinks , possibilities at least

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 06:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Install this directx redist - http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

Go to these settings in the spoiler in the client_settings file and see what impact they have
•Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time.
•Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings
•Open the client_settings.ini file

Spoiler
This does seem to have helped a bit, but the problem is, is not it looks like ***, I was running this game at 1080p usually at 60fps (it would drop ocassionaly due to throttling) all while on low, turning the settings down is NOT the problem since I have played this game at what I consider acceptable settings before the drivers got shot in the face

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 06:28 AM | #13
Depending on the age of the laptop, thermal paste may need to be renewed (doesn't last forever) or dust has clogged the heatsinks , possibilities at least
Taken this laptop apart MULTIPLE times, the paste has been renewed within two months (the computer is around 5 years old) and I frequently keep the system clean and even had a cooling table it sits on that provides additional cooling

OwenBrooks
05.19.2014 , 06:34 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Inotamira_Orani View Post
This does seem to have helped a bit, but the problem is, is not it looks like ***, I was running this game at 1080p usually at 60fps (it would drop ocassionaly due to throttling) all while on low, turning the settings down is NOT the problem since I have played this game at what I consider acceptable settings before the drivers got shot in the face
Bring the settings up one at a time until you find an impact, these are just starting settings to see the effect.

I cant see your laptop or what you have done previously so can only provide suggestions

Trying to get performance back up is what I am trying to help you with

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 06:42 AM | #15
Bring the settings up one at a time until you find an impact, these are just starting settings to see the effect.

I cant see your laptop or what you have done previously so can only provide suggestions

Trying to get performance back up is what I am trying to help you with
You misunderstand, it helped, but the lag is still blatantly apparent, as I used to only be able to run it on low, very low was the only other choice below that, and it lags there as well now. I used to be able to run skyrim on medium with this machine, now I have issues running surgeon simulator 2013, this wasn't a gradual decline, this was sudden and happened 3 days ago, the ONLY thing that changed, was driver version, and the numbers between the older one I'm currently using, and the most up to date, are not listed on Intel's site as far as I can tell (the version number that worked is between 3347 and the current 41...something) which is very aggravating as usually when the driver is updated I see a massive or slight increase in performance instead of an insane loss.

The machine now functions as poorly as it did when I first got it, and that is kind of sickening.

OwenBrooks
05.19.2014 , 06:45 AM | #16
I would go back to the manufacturers (not from intel website and see if any change) driver and use that as a base for updating, have to get going for the night I'm afraid

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 06:49 AM | #17
I would go back to the manufacturers (not from intel website and see if any change) driver and use that as a base for updating, have to get going for the night I'm afraid
It has a driver even older then 3347, I'll give it a shot however and get back to you, I do appreciate the help, I'm just very frustrated at the moment, so if I come off a bit snarky, it isn't intentional. Have a good night

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 07:16 AM | #18
I used a program called OCCTPT to test the GPU and while the GPU seems to be fine, it reported something weird with the CPU...it says the CPU is running at 754 MHZ and is over clocked by -67%, I'm going to assume that's a very bad sign?

Inotamira_Orani
05.19.2014 , 07:33 AM | #19
Fixed, I don't know how, or what happened, but something messed up my BIOS (I assume), I took the BIOS update tool from the manufactures website (Dell) and ran it after noticing this odd and very low frequency cap my CPU's where locked in. After running it, it jumped back to it's usual 2.4GHZ speed and the turbo boost started working like normal again (jumping all the way up to 2.9GHZ when throttle stop was enabled) temps are what they used to be and all games including swtor are running smoothly.

While this is a good thing, the bad thing is I have no idea what happened to cause this, any ideas would be great to prevent this in the future.

OwenBrooks
05.20.2014 , 01:21 AM | #20
Glad to hear its sorted mate, not sure why either , but a good pickup