Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My thoghts on the state of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
My thoghts on the state of the EU

DeltaBos
05.17.2014 , 03:03 AM | #1
For my fellow EU purists, I have developed a system by which those of us who were outraged by the destruction of the EU can rest easy:
After I heard Disney had done away with the EU, I spent a good week rocking back and forth in a corner. After that, I spent another week ranting about Disney to my friends/colleagues/family/random strangers who walked by. And after that I trolled the forums to trash Disney. Now I finally realized something, essentially, Star Wars is now in a closed state. We have a beginning and an end and the true Star Wars universe has told every story it has, for better or worse. Star Wars was created by George Lucas, and as such he had the final say on what did and didn’t go. There was little EU content he directly contradicted, and overall everything flowed well. Now that George no longer owns Star Wars, that universe is essentially closed. Seeing as how George Lucas isn’t in control anymore, nothing that spawns from Star Wars can be considered “what really happened.” The true, pure Star Wars is for each fan to decide.
Essentially, the real Star Wars universe is signed sealed and stored away. Innocent people will always be caught up in Jedi/Sith arguments, Revan will always be the most epic Jedi/Sith of all time, our characters are immortalized in the Star Wars universe, Darth Bane will always be the father of the Rule of Two, Republic Commandos will always kick ***, Starkiller will always be the foundation of the Rebellion, The Yuuzhan Vong will always eff up the galaxy, Kyle Katarn will always be the Chuck Norris of Star Wars, and Darth Talon will, obviously, always be hot.
It’s really up for the fans to determine for themselves what is official or not, but for us EU purists, I think this is what we should go for, anything spawned from Disney is just a “what if” regardless of what Emperor Mickey tells us to believe, this way we can rest easy that Star Wars is forever set and their stories concluded, and still enjoy the new content with the idea that it’s just Disney’s “maybe this could have happened if…”
I imagine Mara Jade, Luke, Han and Leia all in a bar one nigh talking about: I wonder what would have happened if… and that’s where Disney start’s making their alternate stories. Star Wars is set, every story that happened has been told and sealed away. Whatever Disney spawns, regardless of what they say is official or not, is primarily just a “what if.”
This is to help me and my fellow EU believers who hated what Disney has twisted. For those of you who believe the EU is crap and are thrilled that it’s being trashed, that’s fine, I’m not going to argue with your opinion.
(Also, seeing as how SWTOR was created before Disney bought Star Wars anything added in a future update also counts as part of real Star Wars)
Query: Is there someone that you need killed master?

MrGoldsilver
05.21.2014 , 06:59 PM | #2
Thank you for pulling me out of my anti-disney rage I personally am giving the new movie a chance, but not much of one, since they said all my money spent was on fanfictions. I hope many people will still read EU (i will NEVER call it legends) and experience the tactical genius that is Thrawn, the jokester of Wes Janson, The officer who changed the Empire for the better (Gillad Pellaeon), and many other characters.

Personally, i think that if you don't know the line "Yub Yub, Commander" you should really read the books.
If war is peace, but peace is a lie, does that make war a lie also?

Who cares who my toons are... Just look for that guy playing all the stupid specs
Also, nerf operatives

Sadishist
05.21.2014 , 08:25 PM | #3
The thing is, EU is a dead end. No more content will be created for it. New content will be created for diney's canon.

MrGoldsilver
05.21.2014 , 08:56 PM | #4
While no more new come, there is plenty of books to still read (At least for me) I've read around 70 of them, and i have yet to read all of the NJO, LoTF, the Darth Bane books, and plenty of others. And Di$ney saying it is fanfiction won't stop me from enjoying it. I -Might- buy the new books, but i doubt it, unless they get Zahn, or Stackpole (Or even Aaron Allston if he comes back from the grave) to write some of them.
If war is peace, but peace is a lie, does that make war a lie also?

Who cares who my toons are... Just look for that guy playing all the stupid specs
Also, nerf operatives

midianlord
05.21.2014 , 09:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DeltaBos View Post
[...]
Thank you!

Nice to know I'm not the only one feeling it!

the EU will always remain "my-canon" no matter what Emperor Mickey (<---lol!) says. **** "Legends..." Just, seriously, **** it.

I disagree re-- Kyle Katarn, though:

Oh sure, he is most definitely a major B/A, but the real Chuck Norris of the SW universe will always be Wedge Antilles
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
Merc and 'Slinger 4 life

All you'll ever need to know about PvP in this game: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=730402

Spoiler

devincor
05.23.2014 , 11:23 AM | #6
My thought is the EU is the REAL Star Wars while Disney's movies will remain the alternate timeline .

I do not have much hope for Disney in making these movies, especially with Abrams at the helm. He redesigned Star Trek to be what he wanted (ruining it for me), now he will do it to Star Wars. I will bet he has something dealing with a time distortion happening in the movie just like all his other junk.

While i can hope the movies will do justice to SW, I half expect this coming trilogy to be the "Highlander 2" of Star Wars. It never happened...

joshbyrd
05.24.2014 , 09:27 AM | #7
Beautifully stated OP! I was searching for sentiments similar to these but just couldn't find the right words to set my nerdy lil heart at ease over the tragic de-canonization of our beloved EU. This is a very comforting a sensible way to look at it. Really enjoyed reading this.

midianlord
05.27.2014 , 05:53 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by joshbyrd View Post
Beautifully stated OP! I was searching for sentiments similar to these but just couldn't find the right words to set my nerdy lil heart at ease over the tragic de-canonization of our beloved EU. This is a very comforting a sensible way to look at it. Really enjoyed reading this.
Have you taken a look over at Wookieepedia since The Day the Music Died(TM), at articles under the "Canon" tab?

So un-creative, so gracelessly un-intelligent, so depressingly over-simplistic and inane, so...shallow

Our beloved myhtos is worthy of better than this, not being left in the hands of hacks. (One of the worst of whom being The George(TM), I might add.)

25 April 2014: It never happened, as far as I'm concerned.
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
Merc and 'Slinger 4 life

All you'll ever need to know about PvP in this game: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=730402

Spoiler

DarthDymond
05.27.2014 , 07:03 AM | #9
I can't tell if some of the sentiments being expressed here are genuine, or if people are parodying the over-the-top fandom that geek culture can sometimes spiral into.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

ImmortalLowlife
05.27.2014 , 08:40 AM | #10
As far as I'm concerned, we've got the EU & the DU (Disney universe). And while I'm looking forward to EP7, at this point IDGAD about the new Disney books. I'll pick one up when Timothy Zahn or Troy Denning writes one. Until then...like someone else said.....Starkiller helped start the rebel alliance, Luke marries the deadly redhead who was the hand, Thrawn was a genius, Dala is insane, Allana is the future, and when I need crazy, I'll call a Barabel!
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!