Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jawa Movie Spam... Does Bioware give a womp rat's behind?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Jawa Movie Spam... Does Bioware give a womp rat's behind?

AbsolutGrndZero
05.15.2014 , 05:15 PM | #1
Okay, so I tried to ask if Bioware actually does anything about the jawa movie game spam that annoys me to no end. You can't get anything done in the actual game unless you ignore half of the people in chat or else turn off general chat... which then means you won't get LFG requests or sales requests, or... well, all the stuff that you can't see anyway because the chat is scrolling by so insanely fast with

Spoiler

So seriously I want to know, how do I make this STOP? Bioware, help me here.

I even asked for advice, not mentioning any actual players participating, and I got the famous...

Quote: Originally Posted by Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention. We will investigate this issue, and take any appropriate action in accordance with our policies and procedures.

Please be aware that we are unable to discuss any actions taken against another player’s account, and so we will not be in any further contact with you regarding this report.

Thank you again for reporting this incident and we apologize for any upset or inconvenience caused. Should you require assistance with any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Galactic Support is our specialty…

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service
is completely worthless and the only thing it does is make me mad enough to make this post on the forums.

And another thing.. Why does every MMO refuse to say "Yeah, we banned him" or "No, we don't think what he did is any problem." because then all they do is waste our time writing and their time reading reports if they aren't going to do anything about it, TELL US.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

AbsolutGrndZero
05.16.2014 , 02:16 PM | #2
Well, I got a reply back from the email I sent... (names changed to protect myself and the CSR who answered)

Quote: Originally Posted by CSR-Name-Changed
Dear absolutgrndzer0,

Thank you for contacting us regarding "the Jawa Movie game".

While I can appreciate this behaviour obviously frustrates you, absolutgrndzer0, I hope you understand that we are never going to be in a position where we will discuss what action - if any - is taken against another's account.

We take your account details very seriously, and as such account information is shared solely with the account owner.

If you find something which you feel violates our Terms of Service: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/ or Rules of Conduct: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct then by all means report it to us. We would be only too happy to investigate for you, but we will not be in further communication with regarding individual cases, nor will we ever share what action we take in accordance with our policies.

I'm sorry I could not be more forthcoming, but I hope this nevertheless sheds further light on the subject, and that you continue to enjoy the game.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with.

Regards,

CSR-Name-Changed
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service
So, the only way to know for sure what they do is to participate, get reported by a bunch of people (or not) and see what happens. Not going to do that, but... if anyone else wants to volunteer... LOL Kidding, please don't participate at all, much less to test the spamming policy.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger

Sidenti
05.16.2014 , 02:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Okay, so I tried to ask if Bioware actually does anything about the jawa movie game spam that annoys me to no end. You can't get anything done in the actual game unless you ignore half of the people in chat or else turn off general chat... which then means you won't get LFG requests or sales requests, or... well, all the stuff that you can't see anyway because the chat is scrolling by so insanely fast with

Spoiler

So seriously I want to know, how do I make this STOP? Bioware, help me here.

I even asked for advice, not mentioning any actual players participating, and I got the famous...

is completely worthless and the only thing it does is make me mad enough to make this post on the forums.

And another thing.. Why does every MMO refuse to say "Yeah, we banned him" or "No, we don't think what he did is any problem." because then all they do is waste our time writing and their time reading reports if they aren't going to do anything about it, TELL US.
Thank you for bringing this list to the attention of the forum, as it is woefully incomplete. I'll start filling in some names:

"Dude, Where's My Jawa?"
"Jawas On A Plane"
"Jawas Over Madison County"
"The Jawanator"
"2 Jawas 1 Cup"
"Four Jawas And A Funeral"
"Schindler's Jawa"
"Jawatanic"
"The Jawafather"
"Buck Jawa in the 25th Century"

There's more, I'm sure. But thanks again for letting us know they're playing the game with an incomplete list. We'll work on getting that list up to spec.

(PS: They don't tell you about actions taken on others' accounts because, quite frankly, it's none of your damn business!)

Shadokitty
05.16.2014 , 10:35 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
Thank you for bringing this list to the attention of the forum, as it is woefully incomplete. I'll start filling in some names:

"Dude, Where's My Jawa?"
"Jawas On A Plane"
"Jawas Over Madison County"
"The Jawanator"
"2 Jawas 1 Cup"
"Four Jawas And A Funeral"
"Schindler's Jawa"
"Jawatanic"
"The Jawafather"
"Buck Jawa in the 25th Century"

There's more, I'm sure. But thanks again for letting us know they're playing the game with an incomplete list. We'll work on getting that list up to spec.

(PS: They don't tell you about actions taken on others' accounts because, quite frankly, it's none of your damn business!)
You forgot Jawas.

LyraineAlei
05.17.2014 , 01:36 PM | #5
Well, all Jawa movie talk is in General Chat.
You can go to the "Other" chat tab and change its settings, but more often than not you still miss the LFGs, but there's the scroll on the side of the chatbox so you can go back with more ease.

My other advice is to play during "odd" times where the servers have lighter traffic. for example, I primarily play on an East Coast server right now, even though I'm a West Coast resident. So when I come home from working at a school (about 2:30-3:00 ish usually) it's three hours later on the East Coast. So 2:30 PST, plus three hours is 5:30 East. Most people are eating dinner at that time, so General chat is usually with different discussions.

And usually Jawa Movie Game is played on Fleets and Dromund Kaas/Coruscant. It may carry over for a few minutes to the next planets. I'm sorry the chat game bothers you, and it's not like banning every person who plays is going to solve anything. Of course, I'm not being helpful at all, really.

The further along in the game you get, the less often people play it. Usually by the second half of Chapter One, General Chat is filled with complaints against the planet, NPCs, or general Star Wars conversations (ex. Revan vs. Vader, who would win?)

AbsolutGrndZero
05.17.2014 , 01:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LyraineAlei View Post
Well, all Jawa movie talk is in General Chat.
You can go to the "Other" chat tab and change its settings, but more often than not you still miss the LFGs, but there's the scroll on the side of the chatbox so you can go back with more ease.

My other advice is to play during "odd" times where the servers have lighter traffic. for example, I primarily play on an East Coast server right now, even though I'm a West Coast resident. So when I come home from working at a school (about 2:30-3:00 ish usually) it's three hours later on the East Coast. So 2:30 PST, plus three hours is 5:30 East. Most people are eating dinner at that time, so General chat is usually with different discussions.

And usually Jawa Movie Game is played on Fleets and Dromund Kaas/Coruscant. It may carry over for a few minutes to the next planets. I'm sorry the chat game bothers you, and it's not like banning every person who plays is going to solve anything. Of course, I'm not being helpful at all, really.

The further along in the game you get, the less often people play it. Usually by the second half of Chapter One, General Chat is filled with complaints against the planet, NPCs, or general Star Wars conversations (ex. Revan vs. Vader, who would win?)
Well, changing what time you play the game doesn't generally work for most people...

Boss: Why aren't you at work today?
Me: Oh, well you see to avoid the Jawa Movie game, I have decided to play Star Wars during the time most of the idiot children are at work.
Boss: *** you are fired.
Me: Crap, how am I going to pay for my internet now, much less that cavern varactyl I was going to buy this weekend...

And yeah, I can always close General chat, which is what I end up doing sometimes on the occasions I don't care about the LFGs/Sales going on... but when I'm trying to sell something myself, that's when it's REALLY annoying.

Basically, it's the very definition of spam...

Quote: Originally Posted by Definition of Spam
spam
spam/
noun

irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
unwanted or intrusive advertising on the Internet.
"an autogenerated spam website"
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger

Sidenti
05.17.2014 , 02:24 PM | #7
Fixed!

Well, changing what time you play the Jawa doesn't generally work for most Jawas...

Boss: Why aren't you at Jawa today?
Me: Oh, well you see to avoid the Jawa Movie game, I have decided to play Jawa Wars during the time most of the idiot Jawas are at work.
Boss: *** you are Jawaed.
Me: Crap, how am I going to pay for my Jawa now, much less that cavern Jawa I was going to buy this weekend...

And yeah, I can always close Jawa chat, which is what I end up doing sometimes on the occasions I don't care about the LFGs/Sales going on... but when I'm trying to sell Jawas myself, that's when it's REALLY annoying.

Jawally, it's the very Jawanition of Jawa...

rreddy
05.17.2014 , 02:53 PM | #8
As soon as I saw this title I knew you would be from the harbinger.

All I can advise is join a guild that does all the in game content you want, and have chat tabs setup to filter channels when you need to not see them.
Erodoeht Erodork Lubricus
Guildmaster <The Ex-Dalborran Elitists> The Harbinger

LyraineAlei
05.17.2014 , 06:37 PM | #9
Well, changing what time you play the game doesn't generally work for most people...

Boss: Why aren't you at work today?
Me: Oh, well you see to avoid the Jawa Movie game, I have decided to play Star Wars during the time most of the idiot children are at work.
Boss: *** you are fired.
Me: Crap, how am I going to pay for my internet now, much less that cavern varactyl I was going to buy this weekend...

And yeah, I can always close General chat, which is what I end up doing sometimes on the occasions I don't care about the LFGs/Sales going on... but when I'm trying to sell something myself, that's when it's REALLY annoying.

Basically, it's the very definition of spam...
Why aren't you trying to sell something on GTN instead of plugging up General chat?

Sorry, that's my little pet peeve there with people selling things in GC when the GTN's a much better method (IMO) and quieter.

And I wasn't meaning exactly, play while you're at work, I'm just saying play on a server with a different timezone. Or like a rredy suggested, join a guild and then switch to the "Other" tab after placing Guild-postings as readable in your Chat Settings.

I just feel like you're complaining about people playing a game in a park while you're trying to schedule a work-related appointment there. It's not spam, it's a chat game.

Or is General Chat just supposed to be people posting what they're selling/wanting to buy, looking for a group to do heroics/ops/flashpoints/missions, or Guild recruitment advertisements? Because to me those are annoying to read (well, not so much the LFGs) in General Chat, and I feel like we need a tab for selling/trade, guild recruit/guild. But that's my opinion, and if Gen Chat is full of those posts, I turn to the "Other" tab.

The main problem is one's definition of "Relevant" for General Chat. I think everyone agrees that the "Hello, friend, FAKEGOLD.NOTAREALSITE is selling GOLD for REAL MONEY cheap!" is spam. "Return of the Jawa" replied with "The Two Jawa"? A chat game, and I'm sorry it's annoying to you.

I'm not saying you're wrong in how annoying the Jawa game can be, it can be, but the game isn't played on every planet. As I said, people change topics from the game after the third planet usually and start talking about the planet, companions, or other things. It does go away.

SayEndo
05.18.2014 , 09:42 AM | #10
Suggestion - try using Trade for selling. You'll have much better luck because people who have that on are generally looking to buy or sell, and a lot of people keep general turned off.