Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ask me anything / Training


Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.14.2014 , 07:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by GiusQuadratus View Post
Thanks for the advice. I consider myself a mid skill pilot and I would like to get a few tips on getting better at dog fighting. I have recently, with the new strikes, started playing around and have had a ton of fun. I tend to get a lot of assists and not a ton of kills per match.

What I seem to have the most trouble with is really is some games I just seem to face opponents with really fast missile locks. I cannot seem to evade quickly enough and end up with some quick deaths. Quick deaths = not a ton of fun. I know they will happen, but I am interested in learning any tips which will help when those 1 or 2 other pilots are on my 6.
Alright so right off the bat dealing with missiles on a strike is a big pain, cause you have to learn to line of sight the guy locking you. Now if said missiles are clusters that's only a 1.3 second window to put something between you and him. The main thing to remember is always wait until the missile is in the air before using your engine maneuver, this is even more important with all the engine nerfs last patch. If you don't have an engine maneuver available for the next missile try playing very defensively basically not trying to kill anyone just dodge and weave threw stuff to break the locks. Once your engine maneuver is ready again you can go back on the offensive and try to kill again, waiting again for that next missile to be in the air to use it. Another helpful thing is everytime they start locking a missile and your engine maneuver is ready start planing where you want to aim to use it, so you don't just barrel roll into an asteroid once the missile is in the air.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Storm-Cutter's Avatar


Storm-Cutter
05.15.2014 , 12:05 AM | #22
Hi Drak, nice to have someone who is prepared to help people along.

Quick Qs, - How do I survive longer with Gunships?

I have mastered Strike, Scout and Bomber, but good GS play eludes me. I mainly use them if I feel we're on a winning side/ winning streak. - I can target ships okay, and use them for mine / defence turret clearing okay. - So point and shoot seems to be going in the right direction. - But I usually get 1-2 shots off and then draw all the aggro from the opposition. - best GS I have is a quarrel which is about tier 2/3 across most upgrades - Though I went for damage and defence before speed/manoevre. Though once a pack is on me, no fancy flying can shake them off.

Im pretty good at flying around stuff, asteroids, sats, mesas etc. So I don't often die to the scenery! - But with GS being slow and lumbering -its not like a scout that can whip around an obstacle in 2 seconds!

AM I better off seeking out the protected satellites for extra longevity, or finding a friendly bomber who'll keep me safe? What crew can you reccommend? I play imp and Pub side and have most of the companions available to unlock. Is slug railgun a good option? - I have that maxed.

I play on the Progenitor Pub side slightly more than imp - to level up alts mostly.

Any help would be appreciated. THX muchly!
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Verain's Avatar


Verain
05.15.2014 , 12:56 AM | #23
I can help with some gunship questions. I play with Drak, but he didn't give me permission to snipe his questions :P

Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
Quick Qs, - How do I survive longer with Gunships?

I have mastered Strike, Scout and Bomber, but good GS play eludes me. I mainly use them if I feel we're on a winning side/ winning streak. - I can target ships okay, and use them for mine / defence turret clearing okay. - So point and shoot seems to be going in the right direction. - But I usually get 1-2 shots off and then draw all the aggro from the opposition.
So, first of all, when the entire team swaps to you, that's not at all bad. When you have more than two people on you, you are disrupting their team very very much.

Second, I recommend you have the distortion field missile break ASAP, the reduced cooldown on barrel roll ASAP, and, though it is a lower priority, the extra speed or turning tier is important (I always run speed, but I'm not sure it's inherently the best- it's definitely what works better for me though).

Large reactor, and C2N2/Blizz as your engineering companion.


Quote:
- best GS I have is a quarrel which is about tier 2/3 across most upgrades - Though I went for damage and defence before speed/manoevre. Though once a pack is on me, no fancy flying can shake them off.
Absolutely correct! You can't outfly them, but you can greatly reduce the damage they do to you.

Quote:
Im pretty good at flying around stuff, asteroids, sats, mesas etc. So I don't often die to the scenery! - But with GS being slow and lumbering -its not like a scout that can whip around an obstacle in 2 seconds!
The scout has to match the speed of its prey or it will overfly, right? So when I have an asteroid, I will fly close to the asteroid, with the most threatening scout targeted. When I see him close to a close enough distance, I will boost and go left or right slightly, sometimes strafing a bit too. Then I release the boost after just a brief moment.

This has two effects: a poor scout may actually overfly you (you can right click to stop if you are pretty sure this will work). Any scout, even a good one, will have to boost to chase, and could end up a bit further behind than he would like to be, and may end up losing LOS for his blaster a bit.

I also alternate between max and lowest velocity whilst orbiting any defensive structure- max speed, then boost, then if I want to sharply turn, bank in the direction, yaw in that direction, while holding slow throttle.

With this, you should avoid presenting too much target to your opponent. Asteroids are acceptable for this, but the scaffolding is the wildest, as is anything that has a little narrow niche in between. You can kind of post on the cylinders in the mesas as well.

Quote:
AM I better off seeking out the protected satellites for extra longevity, or finding a friendly bomber who'll keep me safe?
Bombers make nests. If you can, snipe from in the nest or near it, and target enemy gunships first, then other long range threats (including bombers if you have mastered ions). When enemies decide to come to you, you can run back through the minefield.

Quote:
What crew can you reccommend?
There is some depth of play there, but I recommend and play on my main:

Imperial
Engineering: Blizz - I don't need 13% reduced blaster cost most of the time. Extra engine pool helps a lot. The 13% engine thing is not negotiable. This is the best companion for your type 1 gunship.
Tactical: Salana Rok- I really like Wingman, but you don't have to. I use this right as I'm about to squeeze of a shot versus a scout, and it really lowers that miss chance. Running Interference is another great option.
Offensive: Jaesa Williams- Accuracy is amazing, and the extra angle helps with your burst lasers and your railguns. You could go with some with bypass, but I recommend strongly against it nowadays on Empire.
Defensive: Vector is the only choice here.

Republic: C2N2, Qyzen Fess, Akaavi Spar, Nadia Grell- As empire, this gets you Wingman, but you could also try Nadia Grell.

Wingman is not the only good copilot ability: you can also use Running Interference or even Bypass.


Quote:
I play imp and Pub side and have most of the companions available to unlock. Is slug railgun a good option? - I have that maxed.
Yes, slug is really good. In T4, make sure you have accuracy. T5 is your choice- the crit can surprise end someone, but the 10% damage is better throughput and you'll get used to how much damage each pull does. Slug is most of what you want with the class. Once you have ion railgun mastered, you can use it to be disruptive to the enemy, especially if they are clumped- but it isn't really worth messing with before that.



I hope this helps some!

Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.15.2014 , 01:01 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
Hi Drak, nice to have someone who is prepared to help people along.

Quick Qs, - How do I survive longer with Gunships?

I have mastered Strike, Scout and Bomber, but good GS play eludes me. I mainly use them if I feel we're on a winning side/ winning streak. - I can target ships okay, and use them for mine / defence turret clearing okay. - So point and shoot seems to be going in the right direction. - But I usually get 1-2 shots off and then draw all the aggro from the opposition. - best GS I have is a quarrel which is about tier 2/3 across most upgrades - Though I went for damage and defence before speed/manoevre. Though once a pack is on me, no fancy flying can shake them off.

Im pretty good at flying around stuff, asteroids, sats, mesas etc. So I don't often die to the scenery! - But with GS being slow and lumbering -its not like a scout that can whip around an obstacle in 2 seconds!

AM I better off seeking out the protected satellites for extra longevity, or finding a friendly bomber who'll keep me safe? What crew can you reccommend? I play imp and Pub side and have most of the companions available to unlock. Is slug railgun a good option? - I have that maxed.

I play on the Progenitor Pub side slightly more than imp - to level up alts mostly.

Any help would be appreciated. THX muchly!
Alright so first ill start by saying in my opinion there is only 1 good gunship build at the moment. I'll list it here so that you can reference it.
Quarrel
Burst lasers : armor pen + hull dmg
Slug Railgun: Extra accuracy + Crit chance
Ion Railgun: Aoe dmg + No regen after hitting someone
Distortion Field: Breaks missile locks
Barrel roll: this talent is very player specific
Armor: Lightweight armor
Reactor: Large reactor
Magazine: Regeneration Extender
Sensors: Dampening
Crew: Copilot ability running interference (defensive option) or wing man (agressive option)
offensive: you want +6% accuracy and +2 degrees firing arc
defensive: you want 5% evasion + 10% shield pool
Tactical: basically just find the one with the co pilot ability you want to use (I prefer running interference)
engineering: engine pool 10% and engine effiency +13%

Playing defensive on a gunship is pretty much the same thing as any other ship, only difference is its very hard to shoot at someone chasing you and anyone save bombers can catch you. The important parts are to use both distortion and barrel roll only to break missiles that are in the air, never break before they launch. If fighting vs another gunship or a scout thats using rocket pods so theres no lock on just pop both evasion cooldowns. After the cooldowns you have to decide between two things, either go ALL IN and try to kill him just as he gets to you by shooting him once or twice with ion+slug and then killing him with burst, or finishing your shot and running to something that can help you kill whatever is chasing you.

When solo q ing its hard to get other pilots to kill whats after you, so basically you just run to them and hope they start shooting the things on you. Try to always barrel roll towards team mates and give yourself some terain to break future locks and laser attacks with. (If you barrel into open space and no one is there to help you, you're basically just dead now) Barrel roll and distortion have the same cooldown so which one you use first really just depends on the situation if you need to finish a shot distortion the missile and then start running afterwards.

A few tips when running especially from multiple ships, when you barrel roll try to end up behind some los and then stop boosting to let your engines regen a little once they catch up and round the corner you can then start running again, the idea is just to hop from one cooldown to the other with distortion and barrel roll.

If they are spaming you with short lockon missiles (cluster missiles) they only do about 850 dmg fully upgraded, let the first one land then break the second and that way your shields will have time to start to recharge barring him hitting you with lasers ofcourse. So against cluster try to let atleast 1 land before you break the next 2. Since your build has such high evasion you probably will regen that missiles dmg worth of shields by the time we get to missiles 4.

I think i covered alot if you still want more help let me know and maybe we can get in a voice chat and I can talk you threw it. I hope that helped
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

HiddenPalm's Avatar


HiddenPalm
05.15.2014 , 03:51 AM | #25
Solid answers. Thanks! I got a long distance work weekend (graveyard shift) coming up. Ill write up the interview questions there then hit u up here via messaging by Wednesday when I get back to the cockpit. Good job at passing down what you know via this thread. We'll help get the word out!

Here's another question. What exactly did Commander William Adama mean when he said:

Quote:
"Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six" - Adama
The Underground Jedi Movement
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - King
APPLICATION * www.UndergroundJedi.com *
We are the very first and only Anti-War Guild for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

tunewalker's Avatar


tunewalker
05.15.2014 , 04:35 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
Solid answers. Thanks! I got a long distance work weekend (graveyard shift) coming up. Ill write up the interview questions there then hit u up here via messaging by Wednesday when I get back to the cockpit. Good job at passing down what you know via this thread. We'll help get the word out!

Here's another question. What exactly did Commander William Adama mean when he said:
That's easy that's board game dice roll it means on a six sided dice you actually have to have the 6 show up on it. Not a modified six (aka you roll the dice and 4 pops up but modifiers allow you to get a 6) but a true HARD 6.

Sidenti's Avatar


Sidenti
05.15.2014 , 05:39 AM | #27
How high is "up"? I feel I should know this if I'm going to fly spacecraft. -bp

Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.15.2014 , 12:07 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
How high is "up"? I feel I should know this if I'm going to fly spacecraft. -bp
I'm not quite sure how to answer that, but if you're talking about hitting the exaustion zone. The kuat mesas ones are about lined up with the highest mesa in the map. For lost shipyards basically if you go up past any other asteroid in sight you only have about 1 second more of being able to boost.
I hope that helped.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Sidenti's Avatar


Sidenti
05.15.2014 , 12:23 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
I'm not quite sure how to answer that, but if you're talking about hitting the exaustion zone. The kuat mesas ones are about lined up with the highest mesa in the map. For lost shipyards basically if you go up past any other asteroid in sight you only have about 1 second more of being able to boost.
I hope that helped.
Hell, I was just trying to be a smartmouth - and you actually came up with a viable, in-context answer!

Well done! -bp

phoenixjon's Avatar


phoenixjon
05.15.2014 , 12:32 PM | #30
Gunsheep approves
Jennipher - The Bastion - Insert Guild Name Here
Rehpinnej - The Bastion - Obsidian Squadron
Gunsheep - The Ebon Hawk - VOIP Bomber Premade