Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ahsoka Tano, why the hate?

cs_zoltan
05.12.2014 , 12:19 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Again their is a distinct difference between a poor character and a character you dislike. You disliked her because she was young, and grew to like her as she matured as a person. That's fine and understandable but doesn't make her a poor character.
What about make her too powerful for no other reason just to make her look cool?
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja || Kejann || Snsa || Kyr Meirend || Myr || Kte || Jeanene || Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

Beniboybling
05.12.2014 , 02:20 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
What about make her too powerful for no other reason just to make her look cool?
That is probably the one thing I take issue with lol, poor Grievous.

That said, bad@ss Ashoka is bad@ss, and she's not too OP.

DomiSotto
05.12.2014 , 02:57 PM | #23
I liked her. But then I am a simple soul, and never got past Season 2. Just not a fan of the Clone Wars.

cs_zoltan
05.12.2014 , 04:44 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
That is probably the one thing I take issue with lol, poor Grievous.
Poor Grievous indeed, he got nerfed so bad
Medin

t-darko
05.12.2014 , 05:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
I agree that Ahsoka's character growth/arc was handled fine over the course of the series, but I can sympathize with people who were really put off by the "Suddenly, a Wild [Anakin's Padawan] Appears!" nature of her inclusion in the overall mythos.

But even if the decision to write in a Padawan for Anakin that we've just somehow never heard of before is an instance of bad writing, it also a very Star Wars thing to do - let's face it, shoe-horning in random plot elements is almost as common as someone saying "I have a bad feeling about this" throughout the series.

"Luke and Leia's mother dies immediately after giving birth!"
"Wait, the one and only thing we know about her from the original series is that Leia remembers her..."
"Have baby Leia's eyes be open!"
"That's not how..."
"No it's cool, Leia has the Force so it'll work!"

"Leia is Luke's sister!"
"But we just spent two movies setting up a love triangle..."
"She loved him as a brother all along because 'somehow she always knew'!"
"She kissed him full on the mouth in Empire..."

"Darth Vader is Luke's father!"

"But Obi-Wan specifically said Vader 'betrayed and murdered' Luke's father..."
"That's true from a certain point of view"
"That was an oddly specific wording choice if he was trying to be cagey about what really happened"

"Anakin built C-3PO when he was like 9 years old!"
"What? I don't even..."
"It's okay, they'll wipe 3PO's memory at the very end of the last prequel!"
"Then what is the point of including it at all?!?"

Since they did make the call to include a Padawan, I am just happy how it played out in the end, with the resolution of her arc giving one more reason for Anakin to harbor ill will towards the Jedi. At least she was a wedged-in plot point that you can interpret as actually adding something to the motivations and decisions of the characters, and Anakin's fall was one area that really needed some shoring up in RotS.

Basically, I think of Ahsoka as a good "No, I am your father" twist, rather than a bad "I built a droid, wanna see?" twist.
So ever how much we all do want Star Wars to be more then fiction, its still is, just fiction, either you buy it or you don't. As why Ahsoka 'suddenly appeared' Yoda's smirky face upon announcing it to Anakin said; "See here we will, if not responsibility over more than you expected, will set you straight, you reckless excuse for a prophecy to set all things straight!?" Either You want it or Even if old George wants it and Disney is just now experiencing it, SW has grown more layered then ever was intended, there's bound to be more wedging then any off us will realize. The thing with fiction is that its by definition not are supposed to 'make sense' or even 'be credible', 'Good' writing has always been in the eyes of the reader to decide.

Shefu
05.12.2014 , 11:06 PM | #26
I really don't get some of you. You do realize, that those of you that "hate" on her, actually hate on a character that was intended to be "cute" and "silly" and "empowering" for little girls in an animated series made for kids right? THE FACT that the show actually changed gears after two seasons and suddenly became all adult, is a different story.

If anything, she's one of the most interesting characters on the SHOW, and I would hope that we haven't seen the last of her, or Ventress for that matter.

cs_zoltan
05.13.2014 , 03:27 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
I really don't get some of you. You do realize, that those of you that "hate" on her, actually hate on a character that was intended to be "cute" and "silly" and "empowering" for little girls in an animated series made for kids right? THE FACT that the show actually changed gears after two seasons and suddenly became all adult, is a different story.

If anything, she's one of the most interesting characters on the SHOW, and I would hope that we haven't seen the last of her, or Ventress for that matter.
Well I'm not a little girl.
Medin

Beniboybling
05.13.2014 , 03:48 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
Poor Grievous indeed, he got nerfed so bad
Only after being OP'ed so bad by the original show.

tunewalker
05.13.2014 , 04:34 AM | #29
Ok going to come in and say it.... she is not OP.

She was coming close to knight hood. This is in the golden era of Jedi.

I want every one to think about this for a second. Technology gets better all the time and so do tech users abilities thanks to this tech. The force stays thus the average force user needs to get better and better to keep up with the tech.

This is why its the golden era of the Jedi, while the top jedi from all eras are around equal, to keep up with the tech users getting better and better equipment the AVERAGE knight and what the amount of skill that was needed to be a knight in the field also went up and up as if the Average Force user stayed the same while tech got better many of those Force users would inevitably just be killed more and more often. In fact they likely were meaning the ones that actually made it to knight hood were again on average slightly better then their predecessors. And because of that they made better masters thus able to defend their padawans better thus allowing more to make it at higher levles.... stacks on top of each other for endless loop.

Point is as tech got better the Average knight got better to. She was likely of a caliber slightly higher then the average knight after all her master WAS Anakin.

For the whole my disaproval of her concept pretty much what the one guy said about shoe horning in. With the movies I felt it was handled better. A brothers and sisters love is believable. Look at Owen in the first movie with Beru... "Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has to much of his father in him........ That's what I'm afraid of" in a way you can kind of see for shadowing there about Luke's father. Obviously you wouldnt want Luke to follow his father's foot steps and since he was so interested in his father through out all of the movies its very believable that Ben would lie to keep that under wraps out of fear the Luke may willingly join up if he knew the truth, or that when they sent him after Vader he wouldnt be able to kill him.

Now the Ahsoka thing, they have pretty much out right stated that she was created to give younger people some one to relate to. The issue is the Clone wars era was already done before the 3rd movie came out for the specific purpose to build up hype for and set up that 3rd movie. We had games a tv series and comics all of which followed around the same line. We had comics of some of the dark times and books that took place before RotJ with Luke or with Vader. We had all kinds of media surrounding Vader and especially Anakin for around when the movies came out..... and in NONE of them was an apprentice from the Clone wars time ever mentioned.

Now obviously they wanted some one to have the kids relate to, but instead of making that person.... I dont know THE HERO OF THE STORY, the one that Star Wars is supposed to be about Anakin they instead decided to shoe horn in a character no one had ever heard of in all of the sources to come before it. In an era and a time that had already been heavily explored in other media's whilst also retconning a TV show that they themselves already released ON THE SAME CHANNEL with an extremely similar art style (one was 2D the other 3D art direction about the same) heck even the voice actors were the same for the most part and that had already been perfectly fit into continuity. And of course she HAS to be Anakin's apprentice because they didnt want to change Obi-wan's and Anakin's relationship. Of course the first thing they did was release a movie long before the show came out.... I saw the movie..... her presence pissed me off.

I was like "Anakin never had an apprentice, he wasnt a knight for very long. This is wrong, this is foul, they already showed the clone wars in the shorts that came out before Episode 3 why are they doing this again. This character was clearly only made for kids to relate to because the writers didnt trust in their ability to make the main character and hero of this portion of the story Anakin relatable enough to the general audience. If they couldnt make Anakin relateable enough they shouldnt have tried by shoe horning in a stupid little kid character that never should have existed....... why does this thing exist AAAHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA"

That was me... and that was why I originally avoided the clone wars show (I saw the movie... i still think its garbage) and just when I was about to watch it cus i was hearing it was pretty good. They bring back Maul and I have an even greater rage..... he was cut in half.... he is dead, he went into shock after being sliced in half and fell down a botomless shaft all while uncontrolably flopping around every bone in his body is broken, by the time his body would have hit the floor it would have been going fast enough that brain matter would have splattered every where, and somebody would have had to go down their and clean up if his body just up and disapeared I think some one should have noticed... just thinking about it is kind of making me angry.... he should be dead. I get people were all like OOOOH AAAAHH double bladed light saber and that fight was awesome and blah blah making this largely silent villain popular, but that is a stupid reason to bring him back for the dead for me.... so that stopped me from checking it out further.... I still think Maul's "resurection" is stupid, but I am not against any one that liked it.... I just never will.