Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[BEG] Devs, please don't bolster SM OPS! ...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[BEG] Devs, please don't bolster SM OPS! ...

trancejeremy
05.09.2014 , 07:08 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Solloby View Post
I don't understand why there is even a need for this?

I am a casual player who spent most of their time PVPing,
That is a contradiction.

I think many people tend to classify themselves as "casual" when they are anything but.

midianlord
05.09.2014 , 07:43 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
I'm not sure that's the title you'd want, if you really thought about it...
Lols, good catch -- coffee-Barrage hadn't proc'ed yet.

Overall, though, I support in principle the idea of getting more people into Ops more easily, specifically us un-guilded-as-yet rabble (which, unless I'm mistaken, is part of the idea here)...but SM only, and please God, no "tactical" zerg-derpfests :/

(KDY -- ugh, why is that in the level-cap bracket at all?)
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

MaximusRex
05.09.2014 , 08:24 PM | #33
Story Mode Ops are meant to be very accessible and the changes to how they are displayed in Group Finder and the addition of Bolster will allow players to progress through Story Mode as they reach that part of the story, without the need to go and farm gear, or bypass that part of the story and get Oricron gear.

I would agree however that players with better gear than the bolster level shouldn't get "bolstered".

aeterno
05.10.2014 , 01:13 AM | #34
I don't understand why there is even a need for this?
*snip*
I'd venture a guess that this is happening the way it's happening (rotation of specific operations) because nobody is really running older operations.

Yes a guild run might happen to get a title or a speeder achievement or something but that's it. If you're 2 years late to the party and you just hit 50 you're basically SOL trying to get an EV, KP or EC group to see the story. It just never pops and I can remember like 2 times in the last half a year I saw someone trying to make a story EV group in general chat.

This way when EV is up for 30 comm rotation it will actually pop and a couple of 50s can get schlepped through the operation each run. And so they don't get booted the second someone sees sub 25k HP in operations frame they get bolstered.

Adaliaya
05.10.2014 , 01:24 AM | #35
What scares me on this is that if there is too many undergeared players that get bolstered to Artifact level (which is I think less than recommend gear to Ops) then accomplishing might come hard. I am not saying 16 players on Artifact level are not able to do 55 SMs, if they know their jobs it will even be easy. But if these people have lvled with KDY and never learned to play their class/role, operation might turn.. Interesting. They may also think that bolster makes them gods KDY style and not bother to follow basic group play rules. Which is not true because Artifact level is barely enough to SM Ops.

I don't believe they will downbolster those who have better gear because then there is zero point to have gear (if you do only SMs
And unorganized PUG downbolstered under recommended gear lvl to those Ops is not very likely to succeed

PavSalco
05.10.2014 , 02:40 AM | #36
Before SWTOR I haven't played any other MMO. I'm a semi-casual player who does not join HM of 55s operations because I find SM properly balanced and I didn't need any bolster to enjoy the story mode. It's not a big deal to do repeatedly Emerging Conflicts V, dailies on Makeb and Section X, then HM FPs and finally some OPS. It's a natural progress that makes you a better player en route.

thewitchdoctor
05.10.2014 , 06:50 AM | #37
A well geared newbie can easily wipe a raid by dropping fire on the melee or dropping away a platform under the tank.
In the end, that's my worry. KDY is great for fast and easy XP when leveling, but, I think its obvious that with each TFP you run, your chances of seeing incredibly dumb group-behaviour increases (please see GF thread for examples). The TFPs, as intended, are role-neutral, which, consequently, means that a fair number of people aren't learning their roles.

It goes without saying that someone is going to go from 15-54 KDY right into 50-55 bolstered ops. A healer who hasn't had to learn to cleanse. A DPS who hasn't learned to interupt. A tank who hasn't learned to manage and direct a fight.

I get that Bioware probably is doing this as a means to address an underutilization. It makes sense from that point and as at least one poster has said, they have never done any SM content, ops or even FPs (past the first one). I'd love to see MORE players doing PVE content. Its a win-win for all of us.

But there is only so far you can go. You can survive almost any 'mistake' done in KDY because it was designed to be role-neutral. I think a bolstered SM Ops, even a more forgiving 16-man one, is asking for trouble.

Anyways, if it is a 'short-term' thing: fine. Whatever. If they make 'tactical ops,' IN ADDITION to normal ops, that's fine too. We'll see, I guess.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.
Active: 55 Marauder - 55 Powertech - 55 Guardian
Leveling: Sorcerer
Inactive: 55 Assassin

Nothematic
05.10.2014 , 07:00 AM | #38
If this goes through can we removed bolster from PvP? Thanks.
Enaico - 55 Sorcerer | Zaland - 32 Shadow |
Enairo - 41 Sentinel |
[TOMB OF FREEDOM NADD]

odonoghuet
05.10.2014 , 07:35 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
SM are easy.
If they can pug HM 55 FPs then it is a good gear bolster to speed up progression to higher gear tiers but this isn't a free pass because of mechanics. To use the most self serving example, I have reservations about trying to do the level 50 op SM Explosive Conflict with pug tanks in who need to bolster to have 156 gear? Sure KP and EV and even TFB and S&V aren't nearly as hard, but they do have mechanics that require some effort and teamwork that can be hard without good communication.

I get the feeling this really needs clear concise details of the mechanics of each boss on a website with a character limit per paragraph so they can be cut and pasted, paragraph by paragraph in ops chat, so those who step up to lead are not typing it over and over and over.
Laugh and the universe laughs with you, cry and you're on the path to the dark side.

KyaniteD
05.10.2014 , 07:36 AM | #40
I don't like this. We have double XP weekends, tactical flashpoints and now bolstered ops. When will people actually (be forced to) learn their class and role? in HM Ops? Oh happy days.

Also: I foresee a lot more need rolls in SM Ops, by both totally ungeared people and those who leave their good gear at home so they can justify rolling need on stuff to gear their alts and companions.
Harm no one's internal, invisible integrities. Leave others the privacies of their minds and lives. (Surak) Don't think twice before you listen to your heart, follow the trace for a new start. [...] In the eye of storm you'll see a lonely dove - the experience of survival is the key to the gravity of love. (Enigma)