Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[BEG] Devs, please don't bolster SM OPS! ...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[BEG] Devs, please don't bolster SM OPS! ...

LordArtemis
05.09.2014 , 05:37 PM | #21
My guess is that SM is underutilized by the game masses, and this is intended as a method to boost participation. The unfortunate side effect of that (as witnessed in PVP) is that when you allow undergeared players to run difficult content they are not prepared for hilarity and pandemonium will ensue....

I think perhaps one way to provide the status quo and boost participation would be to offer both bolstered and unbolstered, but again, that divides up the players. When something is underutilized you usually do not continue to support that underutilization. The intent is to boost participation, and if that is the case this is probably the only solution.

Case in point...my gear is perfect for my casual PVE play. I do not run SM. Ever....well, I think I run Esseles and Black Talon for the light or dark side points when I need them, but other than that I have little interest in them. There are some I have never done. Just didn't have an interest.

However, with this change I may reconsider. That might have been the intent.

Lorrimar
05.09.2014 , 05:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Indeed.

But won't hell freeze over before players figure out that they have the power to choose how to interact with the game and can avoid a lot of things they don't like.. by..... simply not doing them?
You are entirely missing the point. I like to do SM mode ops. I worked hard to make them easier for myself by gearing myself up & then optimizing the stats on all my gear. So I should just stop doing ops? Unfortunately that's the part of the game I really enjoy & if the only way I can run SM stuff on the off nights when I am not running HM's with my guild is to be "downgraded", then I will take my $15/month elsewhere, thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
People act like they are having a virtual weapon pointed at them as soon as they log in.. and are given mandatory instructions as to what to play and how to play it.
We're acting like there is an unwelcome change to something that is already working fine. Gearing up for SM ops in this game is UNBELIEVABLY easy. They practically hand you a set of Ops starter gear on Oricron. Even with that said, I'd have no problem with some kinda bolster mechanic for people who are too lazy to do a few quests. I just don't understand why I have to have my character "downgraded" in the process.

Reno_Tarshil
05.09.2014 , 05:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lorrimar View Post
You are entirely missing the point. I like to do SM mode ops. I worked hard to make them easier for myself by gearing myself up & then optimizing the stats on all my gear. So I should just stop doing ops? Unfortunately that's the part of the game I really enjoy & if the only way I can run SM stuff on the off nights when I am not running HM's with my guild is to be "downgraded", then I will take my $15/month elsewhere, thanks.

We're acting like there is an unwelcome change to something that is already working fine. Gearing up for SM ops in this game is UNBELIEVABLY easy. They practically hand you a set of Ops starter gear on Oricron. Even with that said, I'd have no problem with some kinda bolster mechanic for people who are too lazy to do a few quests. I just don't understand why I have to have my character "downgraded" in the process.
Who says you are getting downgraded?
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Khevar
05.09.2014 , 05:43 PM | #24
I just don't understand why I have to have my character "downgraded" in the process.
Has there been any confirmation that overgeared players will be "downbolstered" in SM ops through the groupfinder?

I didn't see any threads on this in the PTS forum.

LordArtemis
05.09.2014 , 05:43 PM | #25
We're acting like there is an unwelcome change to something that is already working fine.
I think its likely that if it was "fine" they would not be changing it. That is not always the case, but it is my experience that SM Ops are definitely something most casuals I know care little about.

The gear is perceived as the gate, even if that is an unreasonable perception. You can lead a horse to water.....

They want folks to play SM Ops it seems. More folks than are playing at the moment. So keeping things as they are does not achieve what they may be after.

Lorrimar
05.09.2014 , 05:47 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
Who says you are getting downgraded?
perhaps I have been misinformed, but what I have read & been advised about the bolster mechanic is that it will "normalize" (that's probably a better term than downgraded) gear stats across the group so that essentially everyone has a 162ish ilevel. If you are under that ilevel, it moves you up. if you are above it, it moves you down.

Reno, please tell me I have misunderstood or was misinformed.

Reno_Tarshil
05.09.2014 , 05:53 PM | #27
perhaps I have been misinformed, but what I have read & been advised about the bolster mechanic is that it will "normalize" (that's probably a better term than downgraded) gear stats across the group so that essentially everyone has a 162ish ilevel. If you are under that ilevel, it moves you up. if you are above it, it moves you down.

Reno, please tell me I have misunderstood or was misinformed.
Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty shure it's only going to boost those undergeared.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Lorrimar
05.09.2014 , 05:55 PM | #28
Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty shure it's only going to boost those undergeared.
I hope so buddy, I really hope so.

fightermax
05.09.2014 , 06:22 PM | #29
Well it would be impossible not to...

(Otherwise it wouldn't be a BOOST!)

Solloby
05.09.2014 , 06:36 PM | #30
I don't understand why there is even a need for this?

I am a casual player who spent most of their time PVPing, and even I can put together a PVE set that let me into all of the SMs, it only took a few hours to get a starter set together. I even did my first Dread Palace the other week, it was such a smooth run with no wipes. When I asked about joining the pug despite never having run it before they asked me about my gear and my response was clearly adequate because I got an instant invite after I told them my gear levels and that I was purple augmented.

Gearing for SM ops is ridiculously easy. You can farm gear for these ops in HM flashpoints and level 50 classic operations. Then when you are ready you can start with the lower level ops and progress through them as you win gear. By giving people bolster, you are basically giving them a shortcut to the higher end raids, without ensuring that they have had practice in clearing easier operations first.

Do you really want inexperienced people who haven't done many Ops before running around Dread Palace? It's not their gear that matters most, it's their situational awareness. A well geared newbie can easily wipe a raid by dropping fire on the melee or dropping away a platform under the tank.
The Shadowlands