Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why Bowdaar?!


Lesaberisa's Avatar


Lesaberisa
05.09.2014 , 02:52 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by amona View Post
or turn kira in a sith pureblood and elara in a chiss , is support this
Neither of these make any sense given their stories/backgrounds.
Finest mediocre fanfic this side of the Outer Rim:Trooper / Inquisitor

Malastare's Avatar


Malastare
05.09.2014 , 03:16 PM | #32
Okay, aside from being totally-not-shocked that a thread title 'Why Bowdaar?' immediately skipped over to complaints about lack of romance options....

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
I find all Aric's customization very ugly.
...in your opinion. I rather enjoy a few of them, which is on par for the rest of the companions.

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
So, a couple of conventionally attractive Cathars, to look more like that Jedi Master on Tython who takes the baby off your hands would be well, nice.
1: He's your example of an attractive Cathar?
2: He's the old-style Cathar that doesn't use the new textures and models.
3: You know he totally eats that baby when you leave, right?

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
As well as Iresso as a Miri or a Torguta...
Very unlikely to happen. The companion species are sort of part of their characters.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.09.2014 , 03:20 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
3: You know he totally eats that baby when you leave, right?
I laughed loud enough for the people near me to look over.

It's a good thing I'm compiling.

AshenK's Avatar


AshenK
05.09.2014 , 03:33 PM | #34
just more proof bioware doesn't hear anything the player base tells them and are too busy making worthless cash shop items that no one wanted. really bioware is doing a great job helping wildstar become huge.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.09.2014 , 03:34 PM | #35
They’ve slowly been adding more Companion Customizations recently and it looks like there will be at least one new one per pack or event going forward. FYI this is a good thing. The newest one that comes along might not be one that you specifically want but there’s a chance that someone else wants it.

I thought it was weird that they added a new Khem customization when he already has more than every other companion, but the new one is done really well and the texture work on it is noticeably different (with max settings) compared to his vanilla customizations. The new Bowdaar is similar with the bits of grey hair worked through his fur. The new Blizz customization was great too.

T7 was really the only one lacking of the 4. He just looks too similar to his default look. It seems like the idea behind it was what if T7 had what little paint and gloss he has removed. Felt like they could’ve done something a bit more detailed or elaborate. I imagine the point of it was to make T7 look a bit duller and less flashy but that’s kind of what his default look already is compared to his 1-4 customizations.

I still don’t know why they don’t allow HK’s customizations to be freely used between HK, SCORPIO, 2V-R8, and C2-N2. They’re all humanoid models. Like why is it that HK can use any NPC bipedal droid model and SCORPIO + the ship droids can’t? I love seeing the ship droids getting those new crimson customizations but it makes me curious why they don’t have any customizations that change their meshes and only their textures. Like is there something preventing that from being possible? I can’t imagine what it would be though.

As far as Aric goes he’s already had 3 customizations added to him recently. “They’re all ugly though!” Too bad, at least they’ve added some for him compared to SCORPIO who has none. Not to mention the large majority of Companion Customizations look ugly. Often times their default look is better than any customization. That’s not really a surprise though.

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
And, non-human species changes for the humans TOO!

My wet dream is the flexible appearance companion customization.

Just open the damnable terminal for the companions without unlocking the race to the PC! Extra CC for species change (I can deal with Rona being related to Riggs through marriage not by blood, during the 5 min of the game (out of 3+ months playing with him) his species might have slight bearing on the story), less CCs to shave off the "I am a sleaze, dontccha know it?" beard off Doc, and super-CCs for making them Premium races like Torguta (then I can happily abandon my M!Inquisitor) and Nautolan (that species can make even Doc appeal).
I can’t imagine they’ll ever let you change a companion’s race given that the majority of them if not all of them acknowledge their race at some point. It's not like the player where you are playing your class instead of your race, ie if you're a JK you're the Hero of Tython, the BH is The Champion of The Great Hunt, etc, etc. That's part of the reason why the player's race is almost completely cosmetic.

I just don't see them allowing you to change a character like Jaesa's race given that you're forced to interact with her Human parents.

As much as I want to see a Companion Barber Shop I know that Body Type isn't something you'd ever get control over since the companion cutscenes are framed around their existing height. For instance changing Make from BT1 to BT3 would cause her head to be cropped out of so many shots in cutscenes with her.

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
It did not ruin my day. I was spoofing all the other threads about no happiness for any new features. I do find it ironic that from all companions it's Bowdaar, who is not going to change much at all,
Did you not notice that the 4 companion customizations from the Starfighter packs were all characters who can't wear visible armor? Probably just a coincidence huh?

Quote:
while most romanceable companions for a female PC need significant improvement. Particularly compared to the male pc romances who all have customizations one prettier than another, and nearly every species choice in the game.
Is that really a surprise given the game staff and player base? As in both are male dominated.

Quote:
I mean, a male char starts looking at customizations, and it's like: Do I want her to be gorgeous blonde or amazing read-head, or a smoldering brunette? A female char is like... Okay, which one I can look at without wincing? And only one has a BT3, and that a one-night stand. And then Bio goes and plants drop-dead gorgeous males all over the game, without flirting options. Most of them you get to kill too. YAY!
Human customizations are always going to be hit and miss without having some sort of Barber Shop for them because they might have a face you like but a hairstyle that you hate.

pomfette's Avatar


pomfette
05.09.2014 , 03:47 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by anwg View Post
So they can reuse models from KoTOR, obviously.
Zalbar was very insistent that Wookies do not wear clothes.

arunav's Avatar


arunav
05.09.2014 , 05:10 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
Okay, everyone posts outraged posts about all the new things that are coming, so I am going to shout out mine:

I want new companion customizations more than anything else! BUT....

WHY BOWDAAR?! WHY?!!!

There are so many companions who need new custom overlays (ARIC!!!! The only UGLY Cathar in the Galaxy & the only alien romance for a female PC), not to mention the overlays that would change human/near-human companions into other species (see the only alien romance for a female PC) or Guss into a Nautolan (because that would be AWSOME!!!), why on Earth Bowdaar? A Wookie is a Wookie is a Wookie!!!!

Alright, if you always wanted Bowdaar customization, I apologize.

P.S: Or, if Bowdaar's Romance is coming, again, I apologize. I suppose it's one way to save on voicing.
If you get the customization, you'll notice the detail on it is much better than the original ones - Bowdaar's fur looks much more realistic, as well as his "hair" and "facial hair."

In short, they made a Wookie look more Wookie-like in a Star Wars game. I think that's a good thing.
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

DomiSotto's Avatar


DomiSotto
05.09.2014 , 06:27 PM | #38
The argument that companion's race is embedded in their personality is really funny. I don't remember Zenith ever saying anything about his Twilikness, and Riggs or Tharan about his human-ness. In fact, even PC's species ain't acknowledged much. The only ones who insisted on their otherness so far were the monster types. And they are staying the way thy are... and seeing Customization is player-driven, if it is a part of their personality for you... GREAT! Save your coins. My companion shows to you as DomiSotto's Companion, so you don't have to guess who's the cool Torguta male trailing behind my char.

Quote:
I can’t imagine they’ll ever let you change a companion’s race given that the majority of them if not all of them acknowledge their race at some point. It's not like the player where you are playing your class instead of your race, ie if you're a JK you're the Hero of Tython, the BH is The Champion of The Great Hunt, etc, etc. That's part of the reason why the player's race is almost completely cosmetic.

I just don't see them allowing you to change a character like Jaesa's race given that you're forced to interact with her Human parents.

As much as I want to see a Companion Barber Shop I know that Body Type isn't something you'd ever get control over since the companion cutscenes are framed around their existing height. For instance changing Make from BT1 to BT3 would cause her head to be cropped out of so many shots in cutscenes with her.
In all the SP games, you could change anything you wanted about the companion. It is up to a player to decide how much that 1 line of dialogue is going to impact his or her gaming experience for months and months and months of the game. Look, the world is in the aftermath of a war.

I am sure plenty adoptions has happened, there are hybrids everywhere (apparently even Twileks can interbred with humans), and most relationships can be by marriage, not by blood. That's for parental appearances, that do not happen to every companion (why Iresso has to be impacted because we meet Jaesa's parents?) and all others are even easier.

Again, abandoning a lucrative, player-driven fun because of one line of dialogue is simply awkward.

As for Barber Shop, again, as you have acutely noticed, it is exceedingly awkward to let some guy in Houston decide what I consider droolable and wait for years for a decent custom. If the BT is such a problem, well Okay, forbid the BT - or WARN that BT will damage the kissing. Again, I will pick having the companion look the way I want him to look for months and months of gaming over a few minute of a cutscene. I kind of doubt that cutscenes will be a problem much because the cutscenes where the characters are together are set for the PC as well, and PC can be BT3, so almost of a height.

Quote:
Scroll to the bottom http://dulfy.net/2014/05/08/swtor-na...-vendor-items/

When your other post title gets truncated it reads as "A Flexible Companion..." and my mind goes into the gutter
Heh, of the gutter it was born, in the gutter it shall lead... And case in point - a pretty, pretty Mako, a heart-breaking beauty for Elara and... WAIT FOR IT! The female player gets a choice between Mohawk or horrid mustache on Doc. GREAT. First beard, now a mustache?!!! Does Bio hate female players SO MUCH that our only RI on a Knight has to look like a pimp or like a pimp from the Old West? Honestly, do involve a female in this, or at least get that male who designed appearances for male companions in KOTOR2. because your Bio is hopeless. I really hope they are not deliberately mean, honestly, I do.

Quote:
If you get the customization, you'll notice the detail on it is much better than the original ones - Bowdaar's fur looks much more realistic, as well as his "hair" and "facial hair."

In short, they made a Wookie look more Wookie-like in a Star Wars game. I think that's a good thing.
Awesome. Great. Bio can go on and create non near-human overlays their designers obviously LOVE working with. Just give the player an option to design the other companions. Everyone happy - the designers, the players, the companions...

Just think about the coins Bio can make! YAY! I mean, we spend hours creating a character to our liking, and we still get re-customization options. Now, how much more likely it is that we do not like the companions we are given and that look exactly the same for you and me and Jenny over there? MUCH more likely. I pay for overlays, well, I'd rather pay more, much more and get the companion looks I LOVE rather than can live with, and that will look unique.

Malastare's Avatar


Malastare
05.09.2014 , 08:16 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
The argument that companion's race is embedded in their personality is really funny. I don't remember Zenith ever saying anything about his Twilikness, and Riggs or Tharan about his human-ness.
Trying to avoid spoilers here:

Corso talks about his sister... and you meet her. Zenith might not mention his race, but a few other characters do. Same with Tanno and Skadge. Mako... um... has her race confirmed multiple times. Elara was an Imperial officer and Quinn, Temple, Pierce, Talos, Vector and Lokin are currently officers or ranking officials in the anti-alien Empire*. Kaliyo's background is based on her race. Vette's race is mentioned repeatedly, by others and by her, plus you get to meet her sister... and her mother. You get to meet Jaesa's parents. Xalek's race is mentioned and made into a plot point. Kira... has a background only compatible with Humans. Risha's race is also established by her ancestry. You also get to see one of Torian's parents.

For Scourge, Broonmark, Gault, Blizz, Qyzen, Bowdaar, Yuun, Forex, Khem, and Nadia, their race is a defining factor of the character.

When we're done, there are only a few that don't get weird when you change their race. From a quick check, I think it comes down to: Theran, Akaavi, Doc, Rusk, Iresso and maybe Guss (he has the semi-distinctive speech pattern of a Mon Cal).

Is it worth trying to support species changes for such a small collection? To achieve.... what?

I mean, I like the idea of adding more customization and variety to the game... but I'd just rather they spend their time adding to areas that have a bit more impact. I'd especially prefer it spent on other areas rather than make contradictions in the existing characters.

[ * ] Sure, exceptions exist, but they are almost universally noted as exceptions.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.09.2014 , 08:29 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
The argument that companion's race is embedded in their personality is really funny.
Who said it effects their personality?

Regardless I'll say that Blizz, Khem, and Bowdaar are all pretty stereotypical of their races are they not?

Quote:
I don't remember Zenith ever saying anything about his Twilikness, and Riggs or Tharan about his human-ness.
Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it's not there. I also seriously doubt you've seen every dialogue option they have to offer. Even if you esc out of cutscenes and retry them.

Quote:
[In fact, even PC's species ain't acknowledged much.
From the part of my post that you quoted...

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
It's not like the player where you are playing your class instead of your race, ie if you're a JK you're the Hero of Tython, the BH is The Champion of The Great Hunt, etc, etc. That's part of the reason why the player's race is almost completely cosmetic.
...how did that slip past you?

You play your class, not your race. The stories were written long before the playable races were nailed down. Many of the cutscenes were written, programmed, and scripted before the races were nailed down. This is another major part of why your race is almost never acknowledged and why there isn't alot of physical variety between races.

Quote:
The only ones who insisted on their otherness so far were the monster types. And they are staying the way thy are...
Why is it okay for the "monsters" to stay the way they are?

Quote:
and seeing Customization is player-driven, if it is a part of their personality for you... GREAT! Save your coins. My companion shows to you as DomiSotto's Companion, so you don't have to guess who's the cool Torguta male trailing behind my char.
Quote:
I am sure plenty adoptions has happened, there are hybrids everywhere (apparently even Twileks can interbred with humans), and most relationships can be by marriage, not by blood. That's for parental appearances, that do not happen to every companion (why Iresso has to be impacted because we meet Jaesa's parents?) and all others are even easier.
I don't care if players could/can change comp races or not, it's something that could have it's uses and create greater variety. I'm just explaining to you why I don't think it's going to happen.

Oh and FYI if you want to be able to fully customize a companion as a Togruta, then Togruta is going to need to be a playable race because as it stands right now there's only two Togruta meshes in the game, a male and a female one, both of which only use a single body type per gender too. For instance unlike Nautolans there are no Body Type 3 Togruta. There is no cusomization system for the non playable species in place. They need to be built like the Cathar were. It's why the Vanilla Cathar NPC faces aren't playable. Those particular faces were made to be NPCS and didn't function the way player heads/faces did.

Quote:
In all the SP games, you could change anything you wanted about the companion.
What Bioware game has allowed you customize your companions look the way you can with your player character?

Quote:
If the BT is such a problem, well Okay, forbid the BT - or WARN that BT will damage the kissing. Again, I will pick having the companion look the way I want him to look for months and months of gaming over a few minute of a cutscene.
Omg, are you serious? That is NOT the only problem changing their BT would cause.

If you spent any significant amount of time modding games you'd know that's not how it works. Not everything is as simple as an option or a checkbox. You can easily mess up a number of things by changing one little thing.

Quote:
I kind of doubt that cutscenes will be a problem much because the cutscenes where the characters are together are set for the PC as well, and PC can be BT3, so almost of a height.
Yeah because they were designed the body types for the player. When creating the cutscenes they knew the players could chose from BTs 1-4, so everything was designed with that in mind, although there are still some shots that BT3 blocks due to the wide shoulders. However they never planned on companion's BTs being any different than what they originally intended.

A close up shot on Mako's face is set at a specific X - Y position. If you change her model, the framing of the camera still stays at the exact same position, so if you changed her from BT1 to BT3, nearly every tight shot of her face would be focused on her chin.

This is one of those things you do not know about. You don't know how this stuff works. You don't work in game development. You're just like so many other entitled gamers who love to assume things, but when corrected you either snap back or say "well I didn't know" yet pass off your assumptions as if they were fact. If you didn't know, why say it with such certainty?

Quote:
Heh, of the gutter it was born, in the gutter it shall lead... And case in point - a pretty, pretty Mako, a heart-breaking beauty for Elara and... WAIT FOR IT! The female player gets a choice between Mohawk or horrid mustache on Doc. GREAT. First beard, now a mustache?!!! Does Bio hate female players SO MUCH that our only RI on a Knight has to look like a pimp or like a pimp from the Old West? Honestly, do involve a female in this, or at least get that male who designed appearances for male companions in KOTOR2. because your Bio is hopeless. I really hope they are not deliberately mean, honestly, I do.
I want companion customization as much as you do, but having same gender romances also opens up another avenue of variety as well. Just saying.

Quote:
Awesome. Great. Bio can go on and create non near-human overlays their designers obviously LOVE working with. Just give the player an option to design the other companions. Everyone happy - the designers, the players, the companions...
Yeah and I'm sure it would be a super easy thing to just drop right into the game too.

If they are going to do a Companion Customization feature it's going to take awhile or be the type of thing they're going to want to sit on until they do another big cusomization update.

Quote:
Just think about the coins Bio can make! YAY! I mean, we spend hours creating a character to our liking, and we still get re-customization options. Now, how much more likely it is that we do not like the companions we are given and that look exactly the same for you and me and Jenny over there? MUCH more likely. I pay for overlays, well, I'd rather pay more, much more and get the companion looks I LOVE rather than can live with, and that will look unique.
Yeah and what about same gender romance, or hood toggle, or being able to make any piece of gear adaptable, or any one of another hundred things that players ask for all the time?