Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

do you think with the new update that people are going to come back to SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
do you think with the new update that people are going to come back to SWTOR?

Deewe
05.09.2014 , 04:16 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
as of right now, SWTOR is one of those games where you (subjective, generic) find interest for a month then take 3-6 months of a break, come back and see the same ops. Take another 6 month break, come back and see the same ops.
That is indeed the actual issue with TOR.

Maybe extend the interested for a couple more months but you get the picture.

• First for most of the SW fans the game does not feels that much SWzy and it can even become a very big issue for the geeks.
  • Then too often the side quests content is pretty much boring (especially if you level alternate characters) or totally off depending on what character you play.
  • The Class quest are sadly much like rinse and repeat on each planet.
  • The Companion system is a nice concept on paper poorly implemented, from lack of customization to mandatory companions roles.
  • Too many pieces of gear looks totally non SW and break the immersion
  • Many interactions with the game are tedious, mailing, managing mods, traveling, using maps and so on
  • The game offers less character and gear customization than most MMO out there
  • World PvP is nonexistent and instanced one is a Stun and Gank fest.
  • PVE space sim is getting boring very fast.
  • PvP space sim is designed totally off the PvE one and not as good as former games.
  • Crafting is a click/roll/wait process and takes huge bank space, in the end not really worth it.
  • Finally the Cartel Market is lottery coupled with a rip off (ex: over $10 for a gear dye!)

Seems to me you come, play your class story then leave.

AshenK
05.09.2014 , 04:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post

• First for most of the SW fans the game does not feels that much SWzy and it can even become a very big issue for the geeks.
  • Then too often the side quests content is pretty much boring (especially if you level alternate characters) or totally off depending on what character you play.
  • The Companion system is a nice concept on paper poorly implemented, from lack of customization to mandatory companions roles.
  • Many interactions with the game are tedious, mailing, managing mods, traveling, using maps and so on
  • PvP space sim is designed totally off the PvE one and not as good as former games.
  • Crafting is a click/roll/wait process and takes huge bank space, in the end not really worth it.
  • Finally the Cartel Market is lottery coupled with a rip off (ex: over $10 for a gear dye!)

this right here.

and its why people wont be coming back to tor when we have awesome titles like wildstar coming out.

theUndead
05.09.2014 , 04:40 PM | #23

I'm sorry but I am a SW fan and I thin your entire list is completely off base because I think this game is very much in tune with SW mythos. So while I respect your opinion please do not speak for me or anyone else. The game may have a lottery but it is up to you if whether you want to participate in it or not.

Oh and the gear does not break immersion as you can dress up your characters in any look you wish so how is that immersion breaking? Finally, I am a raider and have multiple 55's and lowbies so no it is not a question of logging in playing my class and leaving it is either log in play class pvp or log in play class or raid.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

Deewe
05.09.2014 , 05:04 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
I'm sorry but I am a SW fan and I thin your entire list is completely off base because I think this game is very much in tune with SW mythos. So while I respect your opinion please do not speak for me or anyone else. The game may have a lottery but it is up to you if whether you want to participate in it or not.

Oh and the gear does not break immersion as you can dress up your characters in any look you wish so how is that immersion breaking? Finally, I am a raider and have multiple 55's and lowbies so no it is not a question of logging in playing my class and leaving it is either log in play class pvp or log in play class or raid.
Well to be honest, after having a nice supper, I was about to edit my post replacing it with a "insert useless rant here" but o well..

Speaking of the gear the issues does not lies in how, as a player, I gear my character but how others and the designers dress what can one see in game.

Anyway, game is somehow fun as long, as you don't consider it to be set in a SW setting.
That is obviously a biased statement.

bionamaster
05.09.2014 , 05:06 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AshenK View Post
this right here.

and its why people wont be coming back to tor when we have awesome titles like wildstar coming out.
People have been saying things like that since Guild Wars 2 came out. With the mixed reception WildStar is getting, I'm not even sure why you have decided that WS shall be the next bullet headed in SWTOR's direction.

Anyway, whether or not people come back is entirely dependent on the opinion of the individual person. This is true for any update in any game, really.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

theUndead
05.09.2014 , 05:19 PM | #26
Well to be honest, after having a nice supper, I was about to edit my post replacing it with a "insert useless rant here" but o well..

Speaking of the gear the issues does not lies in how, as a player, I gear my character but how others and the designers dress what can one see in game.

Anyway, game is somehow fun as long, as you don't consider it to be set in a SW setting.
That is obviously a biased statement.
But I do consider it a SW setting and I don't really care if it is bias or not. This game is the spiritual successor of KOTOR and to me that is Starwarsy. I'm sorry if you do not feel the same but it does to me.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

Andryah
05.09.2014 , 05:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by meierme View Post
i just came back after about a year of not playing because i now have more time on my hands but when ever i go to a planet theirs only 10-20 people there. i enjoy the game but it makes it really boring if theirs no one to play with. so im just wondering if i should just cut my losses and find a new MMO or stick around and hope for the best.
What server, and what time of day?

Why?

Because if you are going to make sweeping statements like this.. we need some context.

If your are playing on a PvP server at 3:00AM on a weekday... that would be exactly what I would expect you to see. If on the other hand you are playing a PvE server at prime time (for the server locality).. I'ma have to go with ...... "screen shot or it didn't happen" with a possible indictment for trolling-4-drama.

As for player base... no single anything is going to bring people "back" per se. A lot of people have already returned to the game.. some multiple times over the last two years. People come and go in MMOs all the time.. including WoW.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Deewe
05.09.2014 , 06:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
This game is the spiritual successor of KOTOR and to me that is Starwarsy.
Well if by spiritual you meant a pale shaded ghost of the former game then I agree.

Otherwise Kotor felt much more SW than this.

trancejeremy
05.09.2014 , 06:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
What server, and what time of day?

Why?

Because if you are going to make sweeping statements like this.. we need some context.
Right now I am playing on Bergeron Colony, supposedly the most crowded (according to server load at least). There are 17 people on Corellia, and it's 7:35 pm central time.

Yeah, it's a West Coast server, but it's listed as being more crowded than the East Coast server on the server screen

And it's basically like that on every planet past Tatooine. Presumably Makeb is crowded, but for about half the game, it's largely devoid of players.

LordArtemis
05.09.2014 , 06:44 PM | #30
I think it depends strongly on the update. People generally seemed to be really excited about GSF, only to be let down by it's actual design.

The Fool me twice thing.....

I think many folks have an idea of what they require it to be, and if it does not meet that expectation fair or not it will not make an appreciable difference.