Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Summer of SWTOR Update

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Infernixx
05.08.2014 , 02:41 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
Oh god, I hadn't even thought of that. This game could end up going the way of SWG.
BW/EA has the license for another 8 years. TOR isn't going anywhere.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

NoFishing
05.08.2014 , 02:45 PM | #342
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Curious...

Who would you want to develop it? SOE? Blizzard? Arena Net? Bioware?

As much as Bioware has messed up with this game, I'd still prefer them over 2 of those names.
Well apparently EA has Visceral working on some kind of "open world" Star Wars game, as of late last year. There is probably no cause for alarm, as even if it proceeds, it isn't going to the see the light of day for several more years. And "if it proceeds" is a big if, since game projects get cancelled all the time.

But still, it doesn't take much tinfoil to see the timing of LucasArts and Sony shutting down SWG vs the launch of this game, and wonder if it could happen again. Especially if it is in favor of another EA game.

MiaRB
05.08.2014 , 02:56 PM | #343
Well apparently EA has Visceral working on some kind of "open world" Star Wars game, as of late last year. There is probably no cause for alarm, as even if it proceeds, it isn't going to the see the light of day for several more years. And "if it proceeds" is a big if, since game projects get cancelled all the time.

But still, it doesn't take much tinfoil to see the timing of LucasArts and Sony shutting down SWG vs the launch of this game, and wonder if it could happen again. Especially if it is in favor of another EA game.
an open world single player game isn't going to get TOR shut down, lol. is watch dogs going to kill TOR later this month? did GTA 5 kill TOR? no.

as for the people thinking EA is going to pull the plug on TOR to develop another SW MMO based on new movies, that is not going to happen. comparisons to what happened to SWG are just wishful thinking for the doom and gloom crowd. two totally different games and two totally different circumstances.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Vandicus
05.08.2014 , 03:15 PM | #344
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You mean ten years old and a rabid fan base that harken back to the "good old days"?

We should be so lucky.
While I wouldn't mind the game lasting eight years or so, I certainly hope we don't see people constantly whi-, I mean comparing future games to TOR. More often than not, I like to see the devs' vision of a game rather than try to enforce my own.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Vandicus
05.08.2014 , 03:17 PM | #345

SOE didn't close the other Star Wars MMO(Star Wars Clone Wars Adventure) until just recently. I imagine it was more of an issue of the IP cost then any particular concern over a game with less than 5k subscribers being potential competition.

Despite WoTC's tabletop Star Wars game having no competition whatsoever, they shut it down simply because it wasn't making enough money.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

NoFishing
05.08.2014 , 03:22 PM | #346
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
an open world single player game isn't going to get TOR shut down, lol.
What makes you think it will be a single-player game?

But, points taken. I'll take my tin foil beanie off now.

MiaRB
05.08.2014 , 03:30 PM | #347
What makes you think it will be a single-player game?

But, points taken. I'll take my tin foil beanie off now.
everything ive read points to it being a single player game. they didn't go out and hire a bunch of MMO devs to work on it, but have hired Amy Hennig to work on it. so yeah, safe bet it will be an open world action adventure single player game. although im sure it will have multiplayer modes as well.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Darth_Wicked
05.08.2014 , 03:34 PM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
everything ive read points to it being a single player game. they didn't go out and hire a bunch of MMO devs to work on it, but have hired Amy Hennig to work on it. so yeah, safe bet it will be an open world action adventure single player game. although im sure it will have multiplayer modes as well.
Because Visceral has been highly successful while working on those, I reckon? Because Amy Hennig came to prominence working on open-world games? Not really.

I wouldn't mind knowing where is this coming from.
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsday
MY ASCENDANCE IS INEVITABLE. A DAY, A YEAR, A MILLENNIUM -- IT MATTERS NOT.
I HOLD THE PATIENCE OF STONE AND THE WILL OF STARS.

PlasmaJohn
05.08.2014 , 03:37 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
Very well then, let's discuss the issue. If you were able to sit down across the table from BW Devs tomorrow morning, and propose changes to the game, what would they be?
Ohhhhh the possibilities... but I'll limit myself to core development.

I'd flat out tell them to quit trying the tease. You can get away with that if your population is excited but this is not the case for many people now. We've been begging them for solid info for many moons and they've been more miserly with details than Scrooge McDuck and his wallet. Nope, the "exciting new" and "something big" are just sounding like desperate marketing at this point.

The next thing I'd tell them is that they absolutely must step back and fix the cadence. Reserving multiple releases for a single aspect is KILLING them. This is an MMO and content is king. Ops, FPs, Warzones and now GSF need fresh content releases at a reasonable rate. As mentioned before, new modes of existing content does not count as "fresh".

Oops, there is one operational suggestion: Weekly server reboots. Even if there is no patch, the servers get bounced every Tuesday. I and many in my guild notice that the longer those servers go without a patch (and presumably a reboot) the flakier and buggier things get.

Audiva - Cogohi - Malkerson - Mysalia - OIejandro - Roxiani - Szachi
Aldriovok - Jubelee - Korduun - Mikkiani - Ojain - Oromunroe - Ryliani

Tatile
05.08.2014 , 03:45 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by PlasmaJohn View Post
Ohhhhh the possibilities... but I'll limit myself to core development.

I'd flat out tell them to quit trying the tease. You can get away with that if your population is excited but this is not the case for many people now. We've been begging them for solid info for many moons and they've been more miserly with details than Scrooge McDuck and his wallet. Nope, the "exciting new" and "something big" are just sounding like desperate marketing at this point.
It certainly doesn't help when the "big" thing is largely underwhelming for players. PvP'ers are generally not whelmed by PvE content, and likewise PvE'ers do not find themselves encouraged by PvP content.

Just doing something like, we'll have a patch every six weeks, alternating PvE and PvP content (flashpoints, warzones), with a Operation difficulty every second PvE patch and every fourth general patch story content concerns. Or something.

Edit: Wait, that's twelve weeks between PvE/P patches, three months... quarter year... better than it is currently.