Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

Capt_Beers's Avatar


Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 12:23 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
They are referenced, especially on Oricon. If you are an empire player and actuall freed them as part of the Belsavis story they reference that.
So small bits of text/speech are it takes to go from mini game to main game?
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
05.06.2014 , 12:24 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
To be clear when I say Pve I mean flash points and operations.

There is no difference between instanced warzones and instanced fp's/ops. Neither one has any appreciable effect on the world at large. if no one downs the current end boss of the latest OP there will be absolutely no difference in the game. So I don't understand why instanced warzones are a mini game and instanced ops/fp's aren't.

So why do all the carebears get all high and mighty calling pvp a mini game? If anything it's less of a mini game than Pve since making my team win directly affects the other teams progression (they get less rewards, not much less but still less).
It 'is' a mini-game, but there's no sense in getting upset over it.

With PVP, one side has to lose in order for the system to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad the players are, one half of them 'will have to lose.'

With PVE, everyone can win if they try hard enough. That generates a sense of cooperation and teamwork and mutual success that makes everyone happy. Sure, if players are bad, the whole raid/FP can fall apart amid cries of 'noob' being flung around at each other, but those are rare when compared to the general toxic state of the PVP crowd.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
05.06.2014 , 12:27 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
PvP is not a mini game. It is THE game. Everything else is just glitter and cheese.
It is certainly the root of class nerfs, since you can bet that the mobs aren't coming to forums qqing about specific classes being OP. Really though, that's the case in any MMO with PvP enabled. I don't even have to visit the PvP forums here to know that if I were a Kleenex salesman, I could make a fortune selling Kleenex there. I mean seriously, the only threads I see posted on the General forum that concern PvP are QQ threads, such as this very thread. If you substituted "Mommy, that mean PvE player said my PvP was a minigame", it wouldn't change the context of the OP, would it? Then there was that special snowflake qqing about rancor mounts, that caving to the, in his own words, special snowflakes and making a different skinned rancor made him a less special snowflake.

I'd bet the real PvP players wish some of the more "vocal" posters here would shut up, since they do paint a picture that doesn't fit with the image they'd like to have: Hardcore players that know how to overcome different classes w/out having to come here begging the devs to do it for them.

Reno_Tarshil's Avatar


Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 12:28 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
So small bits of text/speech are it takes to go from mini game to main game?
It was never a Mini-game to begin with. It's PvE regardless if you are just referring to OPs and FPs it's still PvE. And since this is a Story Driven PvE Primary based MMO, you can't really expect PvP to be more than a mini-game.
Back in Black (and redder)!
The Sith Lord of Butterfly Catching has returned.

http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuff and thangs.

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
05.06.2014 , 12:29 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
It 'is' a mini-game, but there's no sense in getting upset over it.

With PVP, one side has to lose in order for the system to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad the players are, one half of them 'will have to lose.'

With PVE, everyone can win if they try hard enough. That generates a sense of cooperation and teamwork and mutual success that makes everyone happy. Sure, if players are bad, the whole raid/FP can fall apart amid cries of 'noob' being flung around at each other, but those are rare when compared to the general toxic state of the PVP crowd.
Not seeing how this addresses OP's question....

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
05.06.2014 , 12:32 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Joesixxpack View Post
Not seeing how this addresses OP's question....
PVE is considered the main game because it's basically the players being challenged by the game designers with successive levels of challenge provided for those who want it.

PVP is glorified group-based dueling for bragging rights.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Capt_Beers's Avatar


Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 12:33 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
It is certainly the root of class nerfs, since you can bet that the mobs aren't coming to forums qqing about specific classes being OP. Really though, that's the case in any MMO with PvP enabled. I don't even have to visit the PvP forums here to know that if I were a Kleenex salesman, I could make a fortune selling Kleenex there. I mean seriously, the only threads I see posted on the General forum that concern PvP are QQ threads, such as this very thread. If you substituted "Mommy, that mean PvE player said my PvP was a minigame", it wouldn't change the context of the OP, would it? Then there was that special snowflake qqing about rancor mounts, that caving to the, in his own words, special snowflakes and making a different skinned rancor made him a less special snowflake.

I'd bet the real PvP players wish some of the more "vocal" posters here would shut up, since they do paint a picture that doesn't fit with the image they'd like to have: Hardcore players that know how to overcome different classes w/out having to come here begging the devs to do it for them.
Not always. Orbital was nerfed because of Pve and the changes to bloodthirst were made for the same reason, to avoid stacking of certain classes in operations.

And all anyone complains about on this board is they don't have enough stories or the right kind of clothes to play dress up with.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

cycao's Avatar


cycao
05.06.2014 , 12:34 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
PVE is considered the main game because it's basically the players being challenged by the game designers with successive levels of challenge provided for those who want it.

PVP is glorified group-based dueling for bragging rights.
Aren't there bragging rights for PvE though with world firsts and what not?

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
05.06.2014 , 12:34 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
PVE is considered the main game because it's basically the players being challenged by the game designers with successive levels of challenge provided for those who want it.

PVP is glorified group-based dueling for bragging rights.
You and the other guy are posting personal opinions of why you or other people PVE or PVP. That doesn't address OP's question.

Thoronmir's Avatar


Thoronmir
05.06.2014 , 12:34 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by wjrasmussen View Post
You can't use that word. Only we can use that word. It is offensive to my people.
We at the CDL (Carebear Defamation League) demand an investigation into this abuse of the word!

As someone who only PvEs, I always considered PvP just one more way to play to game ... which is good. More people in Warzones means fewer people competing with me to kill those 30 mobs for the bonus mission I'm working on for a Planet mission. Some days, I wish more people would PvP and get out of my way.

But if the question is whether FPs and OPs share equal status with PvP, I've researched this extensively and all evidence supports the conclusion that ... I just don't care. This thread seems like someone trying to start a fight.