Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

DOHboy
05.06.2014 , 11:38 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.
The bonus series from Belsavis was to release the Dread Council
In Explosive conflict you Defeated Kephass who was saved by the Dread council and came back in Terror From Beyond. From there you go to S&V where you defeat one memeber of the Dread Council before going to Oricon and Deafeating the Council directly in Dread Palace.

Flashpoints are directly related to the story content regarding Revan that ties directly into Taral V and Maelstrom prison. Ilum ends with Battle of Ilum and False Emperor where you defeat Malgus who started the current war with his attack on the Jedi Temple.

I would say thats all pretty much story driven content. Most of the FP and OPS are based on story arcs from specific planets and enhance the larger story.

As for class story they cover your rise to fame/power where post story you have achieved your place in the galaxy and now play your part in the war.

MillionsKNives
05.06.2014 , 11:41 AM | #12
The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.

Spoiler

All of the events in the operations are interwoven throughout the events of the game. Some more than others, but you're directed towards the operations as a continuation of the game's story. On the other hand, at no point are you directed into PVP by the story, and it fully exists outside the events of the game. Even GSF had greater care taken into fitting it into the story than the Warzones and Arenas do.

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:41 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
PvE isn't just restricted to OPs and FPs, it also includes the questing and story based content of every planet.
I'm just using Pve as short hand for operations and flash points. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to tap that out every time.

So I don't see why that means Pve instances aren't the same mini game as pvp instances. What separates them? The devs balance based on both so why is the Pve mini game special?
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 11:43 AM | #14
I'm just using Pve as short hand for operations and flash points. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to tap that out every time.

So I don't see why that means Pve instances aren't the same mini game as pvp instances. What separates them? The devs balance based on both so why is the Pve mini game special?
You'll find your answer with the above posts by other users.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

ItachiZaku
05.06.2014 , 11:44 AM | #15
It's all the same to me. Sometimes I want to kill Red, sometimes I want to kill Blue.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

Joesixxpack
05.06.2014 , 11:48 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
You seem Bitter that other people don't want to waste their time in PvP.
Nah ah, OP didn't say all that don't PVP. He mentioned the high and mighty ones. That's who I'm talking about.

I couldn't care less what people do with their time ING, it's their time.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:49 AM | #17
You see that's where you guys are mistaken. They are in no way woven into the sorry of anything. They are referenced but you don't have to complete anything in order to do them. They aren't integral to anything. You don't have to defeat kephess in EC for him to be in TFB. You aren't required to do any of the previous PO's to get the quests for the newest ones, they are just as disconnected from each other as the warzones are.

Like I said if no one, and I mean literally no one, would have downed kephess in ec he would have been referred to as dead in all subsequent content until tfb brought him back.

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:56 AM | #18
The warzones are connected to the same stories. Just before ec came out we got novare coast, which is on denova and is supposed to represent the landing prior to the events of ec. We got ahg alongside tfb. So the warzones ate tired in to the same stories just as loosely as the ops.

Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 12:11 PM | #19
You see that's where you guys are mistaken. They are in no way woven into the sorry of anything. They are referenced but you don't have to complete anything in order to do them. They aren't integral to anything. You don't have to defeat kephess in EC for him to be in TFB. You aren't required to do any of the previous PO's to get the quests for the newest ones, they are just as disconnected from each other as the warzones are.

Like I said if no one, and I mean literally no one, would have downed kephess in ec he would have been referred to as dead in all subsequent content until tfb brought him back.
They are referenced, especially on Oricon. If you are an empire player and actuall freed them as part of the Belsavis story they reference that.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

wjrasmussen
05.06.2014 , 12:22 PM | #20
So why do all the carebears
You can't use that word. Only we can use that word. It is offensive to my people.
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault. ~John Henry Newman

Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten.