Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

AlienEyeTX
05.07.2014 , 01:38 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by ZETA_SCORPII View Post
Looking at your signature I'd say you lack self esteem.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

TUXs
05.07.2014 , 01:49 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
According to your last paragraph, the correct answer is no, since you don't get your ship at level 15ish unless you've finished the class missions. Leveling up isn't advancing, it's leveling up. Obtaining your ship and then the legacy perk for buffs is advancement. If you obtained these rewards through reaching a specific level instead of certain parts of the actual story, you'd have a point. As the game is designed, you wouldn't have these perks w/out advancing in PvE.
You can also advance your character via PvP with gear, tokens, Valor, speeders, crystals...PvE is not the only way to advance your character. And again, once a character is 55, EVERY activity is a mini-game. EVERY ONE.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Capt_Beers
05.07.2014 , 05:38 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
According to your last paragraph, the correct answer is no, since you don't get your ship at level 15ish unless you've finished the class missions. Leveling up isn't advancing, it's leveling up. Obtaining your ship and then the legacy perk for buffs is advancement. If you obtained these rewards through reaching a specific level instead of certain parts of the actual story, you'd have a point. As the game is designed, you wouldn't have these perks w/out advancing in PvE.
I said that in my post, I did the PvE quests to get the PvE rewards. I didn't need them. There is always peopel buffing in WZ's and I rarely leave the fleet anyway. If I had a level 55 char in min/maxed PvP gear would say I hadn't advanced at all because I was still on DK as far as class stories? If you're doing RWZ's I'd say you have advanced your character.

I'd also like reiterate that I never said in the OP that I was mad or that PvP isn't a mini game. I simply stated that if PvP is a mini game so are the Ops and FP's.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

robertthebard
05.07.2014 , 07:24 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
You can also advance your character via PvP with gear, tokens, Valor, speeders, crystals...PvE is not the only way to advance your character. And again, once a character is 55, EVERY activity is a mini-game. EVERY ONE.
...and if you look at my post history in this thread, you'll see I've said exactly that. However, since the items listed in the post I quoted for the post you quoted, the correct answer is still no. Show me one player that PvPd their way into a player ship or Legacy buffs. Context is everything. PvE is the only way to get your ship and Legacy buffs, making his statement, in context, false.

ETA: This response covers both the responses. The real "mini game" here is gearing. Whether it's PvP or PvE, gear is the ultimate goal. I'm baffled that somebody else's opinion warrants a post here about it. I play the game I intended to play when I bought the game. If that makes somebody else unhappy, it sucks to be them.

Daekarus
05.18.2014 , 10:26 PM | #165
Hrmmm... lots of epeen waving in here...

You know why I PVE?
Because I play for the roleplaying fantasy
Because I play for immersion
Because I like my character as a special hero in a world of normal people
Because I play to relax, not stress out.
Because when I die, I would rather it take longer than 10 seconds of engagement
Because PVE has story
Because I play for fun, not frustration

Inevitably, in literally every game I've ever played, I never enjoy PVP as much as PVE (sometimes exception: EVE Online - breaking gatecamps was exhilarating, and Mechwarrior Online - if your pugs are half competent, it can be fun). I find PVP tiring, frustrating, and stressful. If I want that I'll go to work early.

My time and money go to Bioware for their PVE content. I will never play PVP here, and any effort they put into it is simply content I'll never see and won't stay subscribed to participate in. If they want to keep getting my money, they will keep producing PVE content. I'll never understand why they wasted all that effort on GSF only for it to be multiplayer only. Nobody played Xwing or TIE Fighter for the PVP, they played it for the freaking kick butt campaign missions...

The epeen waving here really cracks me up. Come back when you have to aim your weapons manually... until then, you're not impressing me.

chillshock
05.18.2014 , 11:16 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by catracho View Post
EAware needs to start focusing their attention to the hardcore communities and keep the focus onto casuals and lesser-skilled players to a minimum. Both hardcore PvP and PvE isn't a mini-game, but it's what keeps players retained long term which EAware has failed to do. If anything the ratio of attention for hardcore to casual should be 80%/20% but at the very least 60%/40%.
I doubt it gets any more 'mini' than hardcore pve/pvp. The only thing big about that is the talk of the fans.

What hardcore does, however, is present that there is always more possible in the game. Trivialize it, rexuce the hard from hardcore and you end up with... My little swtor farm.

Imho it's the mix. Thr whole package. Lots of minis. All held togerher by the flair of the game: characters, immersion, the world and it's story.

JediMasterSLC
05.19.2014 , 12:01 AM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Daekarus View Post
Nobody played Xwing or TIE Fighter for the PVP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

Daekarus
05.19.2014 , 07:57 AM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Ummm... yeah. Did you think I said "XWing vs TIE Fighter"...? I didn't. Because that was nothing more than a shameless ripoff of the first two great games with a small graphics upgrade and PVP as a substitute for real content. And the PVP itself was mediocre with no depth. If that's good PVP to you.... well, you're setting the bar pretty low.

OddballEasyEight
05.19.2014 , 08:35 AM | #169
Ummm... yeah. Did you think I said "XWing vs TIE Fighter"...? I didn't. Because that was nothing more than a shameless ripoff of the first two great games with a small graphics upgrade and PVP as a substitute for real content. And the PVP itself was mediocre with no depth. If that's good PVP to you.... well, you're setting the bar pretty low.
Not to mention that it was in an era where most people didn't have access to the internet anyway so alot of people played it against the AI...
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

TUXs
05.19.2014 , 09:03 AM | #170
Hrmmm... lots of epeen waving in here...

You know why I PVE?
Because I play for fun, not frustration
You seem to let playing a game bother you more than it should. Nobody cares if you die in PvP, it's the entire purpose of the playstyle. Relax a bit and realize that every PvP has died...it's trying to figure out how to accomplish what you want without dying that's fun!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)