Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:12 AM | #1
To be clear when I say Pve I mean flash points and operations.

There is no difference between instanced warzones and instanced fp's/ops. Neither one has any appreciable effect on the world at large. if no one downs the current end boss of the latest OP there will be absolutely no difference in the game. So I don't understand why instanced warzones are a mini game and instanced ops/fp's aren't.

So why do all the carebears get all high and mighty calling pvp a mini game? If anything it's less of a mini game than Pve since making my team win directly affects the other teams progression (they get less rewards, not much less but still less).
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

DOHboy
05.06.2014 , 11:16 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
To be clear when I say Pve I mean flash points and operations.

There is no difference between instanced warzones and instanced fp's/ops. Neither one has any appreciable effect on the world at large. if no one downs the current end boss of the latest OP there will be absolutely no difference in the game. So I don't understand why instanced warzones are a mini game and instanced ops/fp's aren't.

So why do all the carebears get all high and mighty calling pvp a mini game? If anything it's less of a mini game than Pve since making my team win directly affects the other teams progression (they get less rewards, not much less but still less).
main draw of this game is the story driven PVE content. OP are the "end game" culmination of PVE. Flashpoints are a way to gain gear in prep for OPS. PVP is kind of an add on to the game that is not the main draw of this game. Much like GSF it is addition to the main game, which is why most people consider it a "mini" game.

Right or wrong, those are the reasons for most.

Pistols
05.06.2014 , 11:16 AM | #3
/subscribed

Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 11:23 AM | #4
Because this is a PvE based focused game, everything else that isn't PvE are just minigames.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
main draw of this game is the story driven PVE content. OP are the "end game" culmination of PVE. Flashpoints are a way to gain gear in prep for OPS. PVP is kind of an add on to the game that is not the main draw of this game. Much like GSF it is addition to the main game, which is why most people consider it a "mini" game.

Right or wrong, those are the reasons for most.
The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.

Zoom_VI
05.06.2014 , 11:25 AM | #6
Because PvE is Player versus Environment. Whenever you have a toon online your in an environment, therefore your always PvE'ing. However PvP only occurs with other players which are not always around, therefore PvP is a mini part of the game compared to PvE.

Heck even in warzones there is PvE. Like when that sorc LoS'es you around the pillar, that pillar is part of the environment so you are even PvE'ing in warzones.

Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

Capt_Beers
05.06.2014 , 11:28 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
Because this is a PvE based focused game, everything else that isn't PvE are just minigames.
The reason I see most for pvp being called a mini game is it had no impact on the rest of the world. Neither does Pve, Pve once again meaning ops/fp's, it's all instanced. So why are Pve instances more important? Especially since you don't need to do any of the previous operations to do the later ones.

AlienEyeTX
05.06.2014 , 11:32 AM | #8
PvP is not a mini game. It is THE game. Everything else is just glitter and cheese.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 11:33 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
The reason I SE most fir pvp being called a mini game is it had no impact on the rest of the world. Neither does Pve, Pve once again meaning ops/fp's, it's all instanced. So why are Pve instances more important? Especially since you don't need to do any of the previous operations to do the later ones.
PvE isn't just restricted to OPs and FPs, it also includes the questing and story based content of every planet.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."

Reno_Tarshil
05.06.2014 , 11:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Joesixxpack View Post
Mostly because they're insecure nerds and it helps them feel better about their choice to avoid fighting other players ING. It's kind of sad since it's just a silly inconsequential game, not real.
You seem Bitter that other people don't want to waste their time in PvP.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."