Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is one moddable armor any better than another?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is one moddable armor any better than another?

appletonpuppies
05.04.2014 , 08:07 AM | #1
This might sound like a daft question but is one moddable armor any better than another? If I am, say, Level 20, have orange armor and fill it with good mods. As I level, I change the mods and armoring, but why would I want to change the armor? Some armors sell for 100,000s credits while others for 500 credits. If they're all moddable , what is the difference and why is one so much more expensive than the other?

jedimasterjac
05.04.2014 , 08:29 AM | #2
Most of it what's new, supply and demand, and the appearance.

There is no difference as far as gameplay goes between Revan's Mask and some Heroic Quest Reward with an orange helmet. The only difference is that Revan is a super popular character, and his mask is super rare.

Hopefully you've got a grasp on supply and demand and that brief bit's enough.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord Governor Charleston
You will shoot your enemy once, to ensure he fights no more that day! You will shoot traitors twice, to ensure nothing less than their deserved death!

SW_display_name
05.04.2014 , 09:29 AM | #3
Because some are ugly like a rancor's butt and others are sexy and appealing?

You answered it yourself — once you have a piece you like, you just change the mods out indefinitely to keep your sexy fashion.

Therefore, obtaining that shell you're going to use forever is worth large amounts of credits for appealing appearances. Likewise, you're not inclined to spend much on an ugly shell that you know you'll be replacing when you can afford to.

There's also that good old Supply & Demand — some armors are rare or costly to obtain, therefore, they're more expensive. Some rain from the sky like Skittles, therefore, even if they're attractive, they're cheap — because supply consistently exceeds demand and people just want to get rid of them.

Finally there's a few other factors — class-specific armor is worth less because it's less versatile and can't be given to Companions. Non-Adaptive armor is worth less because its practical usability is restricted to a much narrower range of classes.

The only truly meaningful difference between moddable armors is the 'heaviness' — a Light Moddable Armor Shell will provide less defensive value even with the exact same mods. Adaptable shells avoid this by scaling the modded Armor stat to automatically be the best your character can wear.

Kerensk
05.04.2014 , 03:20 PM | #4
Like they said, it's all looks there is no other benefit.

But once you hit 55 looking unique becomes appealing. So don't immediately dismiss it, if you look unique people will remember you (for better or worse).
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

Fidelicatessen
05.04.2014 , 07:29 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
There's also that good old Supply & Demand — some armors are rare or costly to obtain, therefore, they're more expensive. Some rain from the sky like Skittles, therefore, even if they're attractive, they're cheap — because supply consistently exceeds demand and people just want to get rid of them..
I'd like to know where I can move where Skittles rain out of the sky, please. I'd have a yard full of buckets to CATCH THE RAINBOW!

Luneward
05.05.2014 , 04:33 PM | #6
There is one thing you do need to be careful of.

There is a difference between orange normal armor and orange adaptive armor. The difference is normal armor is labeled as 'light,' 'medium,' or 'heavy'. Adaptive armor is listed as just 'adaptive.' Someone who can wear heavy armor can wear light, medium, or heavy moddable gear, but it will only give the armor stat for the listed type. Adaptive armor will automatically match the armor value with the highest level of armor you can wear.

So while a Jedi Guardian or Vanguard could in theory wear a lot of armor that is meant for a Consular/Inquisitor, unless it is specifically marked as adaptive your armor rating will be decreased.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

Ezrat
05.05.2014 , 04:36 PM | #7
Statwise? No.

That being said, I would say Cartel Market moddable armour is better because you can get unlimited sets of it on the toon you first equip the full set on and you can spend a paltry amount of CC to unlock it account wide.

Pick a look, buy the set on the GTN, equip it, unlock it.

Of course if you can craft the other sets than it may be easier for you. Depends on what you have more of: CC or materials.
Recruitment Officer - Sola Gratia - Harbinger (Republic)
A family-friendly, Christian-led, drama-free, active guild.

New? Coming back after 90 days? Let me refer you for a free starter pack.