Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTN Buy Orders - Now Is The Time

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
GTN Buy Orders - Now Is The Time

Reno_Tarshil
05.04.2014 , 01:07 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
I have no earthly clue. I haven't played any other MMO's in 2 and a half years. Before that, I played a few and they did have them, so I imagine its a part of all the best ones right?
I'm pretty shure WoW doesn't have buy orders.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Elfa
05.04.2014 , 01:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
I'm pretty shure WoW doesn't have buy orders.
Insert negative comment disregarding WoW as an example of what's right in MMO's here. --->
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Khevar
05.04.2014 , 01:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
But the real harm is the combination of the two in one market.
Just so you know, I'm not lobbying on behalf of buy orders, and not having any experience in an MMO with buy orders, I'm not trying to say they're good.

But your claim is rather bold and a bit alarmist. And frankly, I'm trying to get a better understanding of why you think this is so.

Can you give some specific examples of how having both is harmful?

Reno_Tarshil
05.04.2014 , 01:11 PM | #24
Insert negative comment disregarding WoW as an example of what's right in MMO's here. --->
You're the one saying Buy orders were apart of nearly every mmo and then you turned around and said

I have no earthly clue. I haven't played any other MMO's in 2 and a half years. Before that, I played a few and they did have them, so I imagine its a part of all the best ones right?

Are you interested in discrediting my viewpoint by way of misspoken proxy?
Talk about false information.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."

Andryah
05.04.2014 , 01:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Can you give some specific examples of how having both is harmful?
I have been as specific as I intend to be. I am not going to provide the cliff notes for how to manipulate the GTN through various buy/sell mechanics. If a player or group of players works it out on their own.. so be it.. but I'm not feeding the negative propensities of players to behave badly inside an MMO by providing strangers the data they need to do so.

You are free to dismiss my comments if you like, but as a person who does play markets in MMOs that I play, I can assure you that it is very unwise to underestimate the veracity of players to exploit anything and everything in an MMO. Different MMOs take different approaches to try to mitigate this of course, but the most common is to limit the ability of players to work the market through price fixing. Sell orders or buy orders by themselves are fine, but combining them into a single market is an invitation to players destroying the natural stability of the player markets. A simple review of world commodities markets (which do work under buy/sell mechanics, and are the closest real world equivalent to what is being begged for here) should amply illustrate the human propensity to manipulate anything for profit.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

BrianDavion
05.04.2014 , 01:54 PM | #26
Buy orders are a part of nearly all MMO's but here in SWTOR, 2.5 years in, we still don't have them. Why? WE obviously have a use for them here and its a useful option to have. Instead we have people vending items they can't sell because two parties which may never be on at the same time, can't communicate.

What if the one thing I want is only currently being made by one guy anymore and he plays at a time I don't? He can't peddle his wares and I can't purchase them. This has got to be remedied. Sure, there can be downsides in buy orders, but no more than in sell orders and they can be designed in a way which limits their abuse. Of course, these designs may limit their usefulness but better to have limited use buy orders than none at all.

What is the community's opinion on the subject and what I've written.
why can't you just send him a mail and get him to mail you the item COD?

Reno_Tarshil
05.04.2014 , 01:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
why can't you just send him a mail and get him to mail you the item COD?
Cause COD has a time limit to it.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."

DarthTHC
05.04.2014 , 02:14 PM | #28
I can see it now. Millions of Buy Orders for Revans Masks and Overlord Command Thrones for 1,500 credits, Thermal Regulators for 75 credits, Level 52 stims for 18 credits.

I don't see how buy orders is a good idea. It will be filled with stupid.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

JimG
05.04.2014 , 02:31 PM | #29
Don't know if I agree that things can't be sold because two people are never on at the same time. You can list items for 48 hours. People that regularly sell items can continually re-list their items and have them up on the GTN.

However, that being said, I definitely agree that buy orders would be a very useful addition. Would save a lot of time constantly checking the GTN for listing. CoH had a pretty good buy order system. Also, I wish they would put appropriate deposit amounts on some of this CM stuff so people can't just keep de-listing and re-listing items without forfeiting a legitimate deposit.

Elfa
05.04.2014 , 02:38 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I can see it now. Millions of Buy Orders for Revans Masks and Overlord Command Thrones for 1,500 credits, Thermal Regulators for 75 credits, Level 52 stims for 18 credits.

I don't see how buy orders is a good idea. It will be filled with stupid.
Why must you be the voice of reason in some threads and the voice of an alarmist on others, you confuse me.

Limit one buy order per person at a time. Not many people will waste that on dumb and if they do, that's their issue. It's easy with the right interface to sort out stupid from good.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law