Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

GTN Buy Orders - Now Is The Time

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
GTN Buy Orders - Now Is The Time

Elfa's Avatar


Elfa
05.04.2014 , 06:49 AM | #1
Buy orders are a part of nearly all MMO's but here in SWTOR, 2.5 years in, we still don't have them. Why? WE obviously have a use for them here and its a useful option to have. Instead we have people vending items they can't sell because two parties which may never be on at the same time, can't communicate.

What if the one thing I want is only currently being made by one guy anymore and he plays at a time I don't? He can't peddle his wares and I can't purchase them. This has got to be remedied. Sure, there can be downsides in buy orders, but no more than in sell orders and they can be designed in a way which limits their abuse. Of course, these designs may limit their usefulness but better to have limited use buy orders than none at all.

What is the community's opinion on the subject and what I've written.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
05.04.2014 , 06:52 AM | #2
Great idea and I agree. Specifics would have to be nailed down, but the general concept of buy orders is great.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

Vhaegrant's Avatar


Vhaegrant
05.04.2014 , 07:17 AM | #3
I would have thought introducing 'Buy Orders' would have allowed those with vast reserves of credits to dominate and shut out other traders.

A couple of simple solutions to the issue...

1) Put out a request on the server forums for crafters that can make the stuff you are looking for. (Or even in guild, I bet there are many crafters with heaps of low level materials and schematics that don't view them as profitable to craft on a regular basis but would be willing to for a fellow guildie)

2) Increase the sell time on the GTN. 2 Days is good enough for me in general, most items I place sell within the first 24 hours, those that don't don't tend to sell full stop.

Deewe's Avatar


Deewe
05.04.2014 , 07:44 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
I would have thought introducing 'Buy Orders' would have allowed those with vast reserves of credits to dominate and shut out other traders.

A couple of simple solutions to the issue...

1) Put out a request on the server forums for crafters that can make the stuff you are looking for. (Or even in guild, I bet there are many crafters with heaps of low level materials and schematics that don't view them as profitable to craft on a regular basis but would be willing to for a fellow guildie)

2) Increase the sell time on the GTN. 2 Days is good enough for me in general, most items I place sell within the first 24 hours, those that don't don't tend to sell full stop.
1) Most players never ever goes to the forums.
Also as soon as you require players to go out of the game to do something related to the game you are doing it wrong. The goal is to keep them entertained in game!

2) Even 7 days listing would not solve the issue.
Most of the gear aren't worth the effort of crafting them unless you are the crafted and want the gear.
In the end the crafters don't bother making items few people want or even know they are existing.

The OP solution seems very good to me. I know it's not that easy to implement but the concept is great.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Elfa's Avatar


Elfa
05.04.2014 , 07:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
I would have thought introducing 'Buy Orders' would have allowed those with vast reserves of credits to dominate and shut out other traders.
Nope, buy orders would have to have limits like only being able to set up orders for a certain amount of goods at one time. For example, You could set up a buy order for 99 mcguffins, but the buyer could only get that money when the buy order was completely filled or what was left expired and only have one order up at a time for that specific mcguffin. You couldn't for example put up a buy order for more than one of a particular speeder because that item isn't stack-able. Buy orders shouldn't be about letting someone corner a market but about helping two or more parties get together.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
1) Put out a request on the server forums for crafters that can make the stuff you are looking for. (Or even in guild, I bet there are many crafters with heaps of low level materials and schematics that don't view them as profitable to craft on a regular basis but would be willing to for a fellow guildie)
Forums are nice but not everyone goes there or will even see your request. This ability has always existed and it hasn't made a dent in the issue and you should never have to leave a game for something that should be in it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
2) Increase the sell time on the GTN. 2 Days is good enough for me in general, most items I place sell within the first 24 hours, those that don't don't tend to sell full stop.
Increases to GTN selling time starts to slow down the GTN and searches. It also does nothing to solve the problem of assisting you to find a crafter or seller or bring down the number of WTB messages in gen chat.

In the end, Buy Orders are about "see a need, fill a need". Bioware needs to take a lesson from that and fill this need for Buy Orders.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Deewe's Avatar


Deewe
05.04.2014 , 08:04 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
Increases to GTN selling time starts to slow down the GTN and searches.
Considering how big and fast could be DB cluster, it's not much of an issue for a healthy game.

Now would you do select distinct SQL queries it would not load the system that much and would only display say, the less expensive entry for each item.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Elfa's Avatar


Elfa
05.04.2014 , 09:38 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
Considering how big and fast could be DB cluster, it's not much of an issue for a healthy game.

Now would you do select distinct SQL queries it would not load the system that much and would only display say, the less expensive entry for each item.
I'm not against increasing sell times, but that only solves the problem of having to put you junk up for sale more often and not the issue at hand.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

BadOrb's Avatar


BadOrb
05.04.2014 , 10:04 AM | #8
I say give us personal shops in our strongholds. Pay a certain premium in credits to have said shop open when offline for days or even weeks. It would also make strongholds a much better prospect for us who don't really require them , under the current non shop planed strongholds. Another credit sink , o and have a notice board for certain orders etc.

Yes , yes I know it does sound like PSU .

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Elfa's Avatar


Elfa
05.04.2014 , 10:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
I say give us personal shops in our strongholds. Pay a certain premium in credits to have said shop open when offline for days or even weeks. It would also make strongholds a much better prospect for us who don't really require them , under the current non shop planed strongholds. Another credit sink , o and have a notice board for certain orders etc.

Yes , yes I know it does sound like PSU .

Cheers,

BadOrb.
I don't think a person's stronghold will be accessible without the owner there. I mean each one will be an instance like ships and there isn't a way to board someone else's ship without them there.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
05.04.2014 , 10:34 AM | #10
I like the idea.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!