Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So how about that chat bug fix?

vuedange
05.17.2014 , 10:57 AM | #21
I'm adding my support to this thread. My love in this game is rp. I host and participate in cross-faction events on bc, and those events are being seriously disrupted by this bug. Three weeks in a row now that a weekly event has been held out of game, in a chatroom because of this bug. Emotes don't work cross-faction, so there is no in game workaround for this.

There is little I use in this game for which I really need to be subscriber. I keep paying my monthly fee because I love this game, love the rp I do in this game, love the community with which I rp in this game and therefore want to support this game. Saying that this bug makes me reconsider that monthly fee is not a childish hissy fit. This bug hampers most of what I most love doing in this game. If cross-faction events are forced out of the game, then why would I continue supporting it, when I can do the rest of what I do in game as a free player?

Bioware, I really do love the world you've given us to play in, but without the ability to play in it with the community with which I play, the world becomes empty. In more than two years as a subscriber, I have never before had a second thought about my financial support of this game. I find it sad that this bug, such a big issue for rpers, has yet to get a comment in over three weeks, and has pushed some of us to the point of having second thoughts about that monthly financial support. Please, get this fixed quickly, or at least, let us know you're working on it!

Sidenti
05.17.2014 , 11:19 AM | #22
Responses in orange.

Quote: Originally Posted by Khalhazar View Post
For RPers, this bug is about cross-faction and shared-space roleplay. Emote cannot be seen by the opposite faction, so it isn't a viable workaround. 3rd party sites and forum RP are a stopgap solution that pulls players out of this game and into others. Life is rarely, if ever, perfect. I merely pointed out there are workarounds. For those that don't want to use them, that is their problem. Be creative. Solve life's problems for yourself!

I'm sorry you feel that way. I see a lot less petulant anger here than you get in the average PvP rebalancing discussion. I see a bunch of (mostly) mature players whose core mechanic is broken. For RPers, being unable to communicate with the opposite faction in-game is akin to a warzone-crash bug or an immortal-boss bug. Sorry, I don't play the "but they're doing it too" game. It sickened me when I covered politics. My sincere apologies as a result for being completely unable to recognize this paragraph as viable. I am aware that this is a personal problem on my end. I just never saw what difference it made. Or the hyperbole connected. There aren't workarounds for crashes or immortal bosses. There are for communication breakdowns.

TOR is entertainment. Good, high quality entertainment, but entertainment we pay for. If service is interrupted, it's reasonable to consider one's economic options. One can consider those options silently as well. Historically speaking, very few people who vocally threaten to withhold subscription fees ever actually do so. It's not a threat that has much traction with game developers anymore. Especially major players like EA.

Now, the RP community may be so vanishingly small that losing our combined subscriptions wouldn't even tickle Bioware. (Also, quite a few RPers don't actually pay anything.) That *is* a possibility, in which case it's perfectly reasonable (albeit in poor taste) for them to laugh at and ignore this complaint. But honestly, I think they are behind us already. I have a higher opinion of them than you seem to have. I think they care about this issue and want to fix it, but need to justify the developer time. It's EXTREMELY hard to justify developer time to work on a minor issue (and yes, this IS minor in the grand scheme of things - look at the matter OBJECTIVELY and I'm sure you'll agree; you seem smart) when there's a new patch dropping, major content coming all year long and the calls to have this issue fixed have largely been condescending. If it were me, I'd die laughing and make you all wait for 2.8.1. Fortunately, the devs are quite probably nicer than I am.

Dev time is a scarce resource. The only way to justify developer time is economic triage. The more support we give for fixing this issue, the more likely it'l get fixed. (Of course, we've been asking for chatlogs for 2+ years now, which makes you worry a bit about the complexity of the chat system and how much visibility these sorts of issues get.) Economic warfare only works if you have the economic clout to do economic damage. No offense, but comparatively you're waving sticks and rocks at a company armed with tanks. Also, chatlogs DO exist, but they're a CSR tool only. I'm sure you're aware of how to copy-paste?

No, we really don't; especially not with someone who doesn't understand the workarounds and why they aren't working, or even particularly around. :-) No workaround will ever work if it's not used. So /emote's broken. Fine. There's Teamspeak. There's IM. There's options other than empty threats. Try solving your problem as opposed to merely complaining about it. -bp

Kyrrant
05.17.2014 , 01:08 PM | #23
Sidenti, just a few points on the subject?

1: The only thing I really do in-game at this point is RP. If I cannot effectively RP in this game, what logic is there for me to continue to subscribe?

Sure, the "DO THIS OR I'LL UNSUB/STOP PAYING YOU MONEY" thing is often an empty threat, but hopefully the community people can recognize a calm statement, contrasted against the angry threats.

2: Calling this a minor issue is a bit misleading. For the RP community, this is basically the equivalent of an issue that prevents Ops from being formed. It is an extremely serious issue that only impacts a very small number of people.

I know, somewhat pedantic, but the point is that the seriousness of the issue is above more simple problems, like missing textures, spelling errors or other minor problems.

The difference? Mainly that this issue is blocking content, and can and will lead to lost players if not addressed.

3: I am not demanding that Bioware drop everything to fix this issue. I work in the F2P industry, and believe me, I've been in exactly their position before.

What I am asking is for one of the following:
1: Bioware fixes this issue with their next patch, minor or major.
2: If Bioware does not fix the issue with the next patch, they say why they did not or could not.
3: Bioware gives an estimate (not a promise, not a guarantee, just an estimate) of when they'll be able to come to this issue and hopefully fix it.

Any one of those three options would show me, and the other RPers affected by this bug, that our time (and money) is not going to waste here.

Because what I will not do is sit around and hope that maybe a fix will come if I wish hard enough. RP is a small subcommunity in this game, it's very easy for our voices to get lost in the crowd, and we're honestly used to that... so long as we can still RP.

Right now? We can't. So, sorry for making noise on this topic, but we're not going to let this lie.
Begeren Colony RPer
Orell Legacy
(...yes, we do exist...)

vadess
05.17.2014 , 01:17 PM | #24
I would like to voice my request to get it fixed. It is true we have work arounds, but I just want to say that RPers would rather RP in-game. THat's why we're playing the game! If we wanted to use text and purely forum based RP, we wouldn't even be here on the forums. But we don't- we want to play the game and enjoy RP-ing within the game's environment because we love RP-ing in the game's environment.

So, I do ask that Bioware fixes it so the /say chat works for both same faction, and cross faction RP. We all would appreciate greatly buoware working on this.

Sidenti
05.17.2014 , 02:48 PM | #25
Sure thing. I imagine you know the reply format:

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyrrant View Post
Sidenti, just a few points on the subject?

1: The only thing I really do in-game at this point is RP. If I cannot effectively RP in this game, what logic is there for me to continue to subscribe? None. What I'm saying is there are workarounds while they're working on the problem. Not every problem NEEDS acknowledgement.

Sure, the "DO THIS OR I'LL UNSUB/STOP PAYING YOU MONEY" thing is often an empty threat, but hopefully the community people can recognize a calm statement, contrasted against the angry threats.Sure they do! They just don't care. More flies with honey than vinegar and all that. Personally, my approach would have been to contact one of the many visible community team members and ask how to best go about getting the problem resolved.

2: Calling this a minor issue is a bit misleading. For the RP community, this is basically the equivalent of an issue that prevents Ops from being formed. It is an extremely serious issue that only impacts a very small number of people. A minor community issue, by definition, is one that affects an arguably (and often subjectively) small portion of an overall community. Cross-faction RPers aren't a very large group overall. It sucks to say that, it might seem like a slight, but that's the reality.

I know, somewhat pedantic, but the point is that the seriousness of the issue is above more simple problems, like missing textures, spelling errors or other minor problems. I'll agree with that, as any issue with borked code should take priority over graphic/grammar errors.

The difference? Mainly that this issue is blocking content, and can and will lead to lost players if not addressed.Now, this is where I take exception. I'm a "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade" kinda person. Sure, the code is borked FOR NOW. In the interim... have any of you considered perhaps doing voice acting for your RP? Adding a new dimension to it?

3: I am not demanding that Bioware drop everything to fix this issue. I work in the F2P industry, and believe me, I've been in exactly their position before.

What I am asking is for one of the following:
1: Bioware fixes this issue with their next patch, minor or major.
2: If Bioware does not fix the issue with the next patch, they say why they did not or could not.
3: Bioware gives an estimate (not a promise, not a guarantee, just an estimate) of when they'll be able to come to this issue and hopefully fix it.

Any one of those three options would show me, and the other RPers affected by this bug, that our time (and money) is not going to waste here.If you work in the industry, then you can understand why certain things don't get addressed publicly. But I'm comfortably certain they'll fix it with 2.8. If they don't, THEN maybe start asking about an explanation. (It's probably related to that all-around chat bug that happened recently affecting high-pop planets, and a bit of research seems to indicate chat code is a periodic problem.)

Because what I will not do is sit around and hope that maybe a fix will come if I wish hard enough. RP is a small subcommunity in this game, it's very easy for our voices to get lost in the crowd, and we're honestly used to that... so long as we can still RP. I'm not saying "be quiet". I'm saying "be smarter about getting what you want". "You" in general, of course.

Right now? We can't. So, sorry for making noise on this topic, but we're not going to let this lie. Consider replacing the noise with diplomacy. I bet you get an actual response if you, say, ask someone directly and discreetly. Stranger things HAVE happened. But I do hope it gets fixed for you guys soon - and I'm fairly certain it will. -bp

Soulfire
05.17.2014 , 03:33 PM | #27
Bumping.

Dear Bioware- an estimate or explanation of what is being done on this bug would be deeply appreciated, soon.

We moved yet another community event out of game and into a chat-room last night, because we cannot communicate with our friends in game still. It has been three weeks of this.

When a whole community stops playing the game itself because the bug is so disruptive of their playstyle, there is a serious problem. When the only work-around for a bug is to stop playing the game and use outside clients, there's a serious problem.

Communication is a CORE element of any MMORPG, not fluff. Communication being broken effects more than just roleplayers, but anyone hosting player based events, or simply trying to talk with their buddies.

Communication being broken for going on close to a month- is the sign of a defunct game.
....or, it can only mean one thing- invasion!

But seriously, New features are nice, but useless- if we can only talk with each other about them outside of game.
Why invite all my friends to my new sky-palace in game if they won't be able to communicate with me while there?

Please let us know where the progress on fixing this bug is, soon.

One full month of being unable to use so core a thing in any game is more than ample reason to stop paying.
Because many of us have already stopped playing, waiting for this fix.
Eohlwyn Soulfire
Born of Tyrena, Corellia on Valcyn.
Dancer ~ Spy ~ Rebel ~ Roleplayer

Niryy
05.17.2014 , 07:28 PM | #28
Bump. Please fix or at least communicate.

Thank you.

Sidenti
05.17.2014 , 07:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
BP do you RP?
I do, constantly. I also solve my own problems, in case you were wondering. I mean, there used to be a time when I would get upset and make threats or whatever, but after one does that enough one realizes it's a huge waste of time if it's done BEFORE the problem is solved (or at least a workaround is found until a solution can be crafted and implemented).

But complaining AFTERWARD? Gives me more time to make the complaints amusing. It's easier to wax comical over a source of frustration after it's solved, I've noted.

Does that answer your questions? -bp

Elblai
05.17.2014 , 09:03 PM | #30
Please do not let Trolls mar an otherwise reasonable thread.

I understand that you folks at BioWare are working on your wondrous multitude of things - as a designer myself, I completely understand the issues that come up on a daily basis, and even moreso the issues that crop up unexpectedly like this one likely did. Please, keep doing awesome, it's why I'm here on this game instead of any others. Y'all rock.

But, as the person who built www.BegerenColony.org and many of its additions, one could say I have -made- the workarounds... But they're only workarounds. We prefer to do our Roleplay in your wonderful game, so I am certain you understand why this issue is important to us - even if it only is affecting a small portion of the overall audience. One could Roleplay on a forum or chatroom or teamspeak without a game having ever been built, and it is your game that allows us to bring our stories and tales to life and enrich them. There is no workaround for missing such a thing.

There is no miracle fix to any issue, as a dev I understand that. It may take some time to fix an issue that has come out of the blue, as I suspect this one has. I also understand if it is given a lower priority due to the nature of it and what areas of the game (very little) has been affected. This is reasonable.

However, I must add my support to this threads call for communication. Even with the fact that I am a part of the industry and understand its pitfalls, having nothing but to wonder is a painful thing to a community. Uncertainty turns to doubt and anger, even when there may be no cause for it. Your Devs may be hard at work fixing the issue or working on their other tasks as appropriate - but the community managers and reps are here to respond to the community, right?

So talk to us and let us know where things stand.

As the creator and leader for one of the larger groups affected by this disruptive bug, I believe I can speak for most of us when I say it would go a -long- way to putting us at ease while we use our workarounds.

Thank you.

BegerenColony.org - The Place to Play
Serving the greater Begeren Colony Area since the first server moves.
Enhance your PvE, PvP, RP and the community!