Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strafing & camera

Salacious_Dumb
04.30.2014 , 02:09 PM | #1
As a clickety-clicker, I must unlearn what I have learned. I'm trying to adapt to keybinding/mouseturning, and it's kind of frustrating.
Binding the arrow keys to strafing forces me to adjust, though the camera doesn't seem to behave at all the way I expect it to in warzones. I know how to mouse-turn, and camera speed is turned down to about 15%.
When strafing & mouse-turning, sometimes the damn cam zooms in when I don't want it to, sometimes I'm looking up for no reason at all, and when my character is up against & facing a wall, eg. the door in Voidstar I can't turn around before getting slaughtered.
I'm just not seeing much benefit to strafing due to the wonky camera & having to constantly adjust it while simultaneously fighting. I am practising on dummies & on NPC, too, but I'm not seeing the point of key strafing. Does it become easier with time?
And thank you to anyone who's inclined to tell me I'm a stupid, hopeless noob. Hopefully I can actually get some help here, though.

DrewFromPhilly
04.30.2014 , 02:26 PM | #2
The arrow keys? Well I would suggest using W, A, and D as you did before so you're closer to easy to reach keys for other abilities.

Also you'll get a feel for the mouse. If you play with the sensitivity more and use it more often you'll find a good spot that works for you.

Salacious_Dumb
04.30.2014 , 02:29 PM | #3
I should have pointed out that I use the arrow keys with my right hand, and my mouse (Razer Taipan, ambidextrous design) with my left.

ObiWanJabroni
04.30.2014 , 03:08 PM | #4
I do believe there is a way to adjust the camera in the file. Almost 100% certain I read about it on this site. Honestly, I don't know if it's against the rules or not, but you should search for information here about it.
Maryann'Cotton-55 Sniper | Cotton-eyed'Joe-55 Gunslinger

Tarder'Sauce-55 Juggernaut | Andurin-55 Guardian

Knorwig-55 Sage | Pootie'Tang -43 Sorceror

Voltare- 55 Commando | Johnny'Chimpo-35 Mercenary

Anarchos- 55 Assassin | Dante- 55 Operative

Eripio- 55 Powertech | Magudir- 55 Sentinel

cashogy_reborn
04.30.2014 , 03:21 PM | #5
The camera zooming in when you dont want it to is one of 2 things:

1) there is some kind of object blocking the camera from zooming out, ie a wall.
2) a random bug where the camera will freak the fk out for no reason at all, yay hero engine.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Salacious_Dumb
04.30.2014 , 03:47 PM | #6
Yes, there is this method of making the cam zoom out further than originally designed.

If the camera freaking out is a bug, is there a known workaround? I do know that using ctrl as a modifier can make it even worse, but the problem persists even without using the ctrl button.

Not being able to turn the cam without zooming in while your character is up against a wall is seriously annoying. I don't know, it seems to me it reduces the advantage of having strafe keybound.

kvandertulip
04.30.2014 , 04:58 PM | #7
If you haven't already unbind "mouse wheel up" from your camera controls. It should help with zooming in unintentionally.
Wiseposterior
<The Cleverlynamed Legacy>