Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cast for Star Wars VII Released

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Cast for Star Wars VII Released

StarSquirrel
04.29.2014 , 01:21 PM | #1
IMDb
Star Wars' Facebook announcement
NPR article

Edit:
Star Wars.com Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie casted for Episode VII
IMDb article on the new additions

So, the cast has been revealed. Obviously Fisher, Ford, Hamil etc... are returning as was rumored (and expected) but now we know the newbies. It'll be interesting as they haven't stated their roles yet, but from looking around they all seem to be relatively unknown at least to an American audience. Do our British users recognize them at all?

So, anyone have an opinion on how this cast is shaping up? Who do you think is the most interesting casting choice?

Edit: So, two new ladies join the cast. What is everyone's thoughts on the newest casting development?
"Being abandoned to my enemies, abandoned by one for whom I once had considerable affection and respect, was like being murdered…and surviving."
-Darth Caedus

sell-dog
04.29.2014 , 01:36 PM | #2
I read somewhere a few months ago that Ian McDiarmid was going to play a Sidious Force Ghost. It seemed like one of the more concrete rumors but still a rumor. It appears either his role will be extremely small or (more likely IMO) he won't be in the movie at all

Having said that I am still very excited and looking forward to Eps VII!!

Edit: Andy Serkis has been in roles that Americans know (Gollum, Caesar) but I do agree that it seems British audiences will know much more
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

LtGeneralGezlin
04.29.2014 , 02:00 PM | #3
You know, maybe it's just me, but... Episode VII feels real now, especially with the photo from the table read. 2015 can't get here soon enough!
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
55 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 46 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 55 Marauder, 53 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

Beniboybling
04.29.2014 , 02:09 PM | #4
To be honest most of these British actors (not sure if everyone would agree) are fairly obscure, aside from Domhnall Gleeson - who played a minor role in the last Harry Potter film - I haven't see any of these actors on screen and I only recognize one or two. As far as I'm aware Daisy Ridley is pretty much a complete unknown and only ever been on TV.

So I really don't have much to say, I'm definitely happy that they are bringing in less Hollywood "faces" (you know the kind) but I would like to see a some classic British actors thrown in there like in previous films.

EDIT: There is something about that photo that exudes the classic OT cool though. Loving it.

EDIT: I tell I lie, I have actually seen Max von Syndow in a film called Incredibly Loud or something, he didn't actually speak throughout the whole thing so I'm not sure I can judge, but the role he played was very well done.

Beniboybling
04.29.2014 , 02:10 PM | #5
Oh and whoever that guy was would say the EU news would be followed by a cast release, feel free to take a bow.

Warren-Stride
04.29.2014 , 03:48 PM | #6
Oscar Isaac! *swoon*

I've seen him in the movie Sucker Punch, and he did a great job in my opinion. However, his role was a sinister, creepy type of character in that movie. Maybe he'll be a villain here too?

I seriously hope so, because Adam Driver does NOT strike me as a very imposing villain. Maybe it'd be interesting if he's more of a cunning, sly villain like Loki, but he's definitely not Sith-like in appearance. Maybe he's a non-Force user, but would it really be Star Wars without a Sith villain?

Anyways, Oscar Isaac is my new Star Wars hottie! Let's just hope they don't cover his face up with an alien mask.

That being said, I really hope that one of the main characters in this movie is an alien. Even better if they're a race we haven't seen before.
~~ AiR ~~
What are you more afraid of?
A weapon that could destroy you?
Or a weapon that could turn you into a monster?

Beniboybling
04.29.2014 , 04:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
I seriously hope so, because Adam Driver does NOT strike me as a very imposing villain. Maybe it'd be interesting if he's more of a cunning, sly villain like Loki, but he's definitely not Sith-like in appearance. Maybe he's a non-Force user, but would it really be Star Wars without a Sith villain?.
Yeah... my thoughts exactly.

Honestly I can't see any of these guys as Sith, but hey a little makeup can work wonders these days.

DarthDymond
04.29.2014 , 04:33 PM | #8
Max von Sydow, and of course Andy Serkis, are the only names I recognize - which honestly seems like such a close parallel to the casting of the original film (where they brought in one or two "known" names with Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing among a cast of unknowns) that it's got to be deliberate.

As long as they can act, that's all I care about, now that hopefully they'll be given competent lines and direction. Heck with Serkis on-board even the CG characters might have some real life in them.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

cs_zoltan
04.29.2014 , 05:35 PM | #9
Casting Serkis is awesome, he is an uniqe talented actor, i'm really thrilled about that. But the female lead cast is just awful. I don't want to jump to early conclusions, but she has like no experience and looks like a 13 years old brat. The fact that she is the only announced female character so far (apart from Fisher ofc) just makes it even worse.
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kéja || Kejann || Sänsa || Kyrí Meirend || Myrí || Käte || Jeanene || Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

Beniboybling
04.29.2014 , 05:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
Casting Serkis is awesome, he is an uniqe talented actor, i'm really thrilled about that. But the female lead cast is just awful. I don't want to jump to early conclusions, but she has like no experience and looks like a 13 years old brat. The fact that she is the only announced female character so far (apart from Fisher ofc) just makes it even worse.
Wow, you can tell she's a 13 year old brat just by looking at her?

Hamill, Fisher and Ford had 'no experience' either. You are jumping to early conclusions.