Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

X has left the Warzone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
X has left the Warzone

MCaliban
04.27.2014 , 07:49 AM | #1
I have finally entered the 30-54 bracket with my PvP Shadow and have noticed a serious increase in people leaving the WZ, as well as my being plopped into WZs in progress.

Today, I encountered such a person. I first bumped into them in a 3 vs 3 arena; we lost the first round and they quit, even I considered it a close match. After the arena, I re-queue and ended up in a warzone with them and the other player from the arena. They stand next to us and after a few seconds (before the WZ has started) drop out.

The game goes poorly: we only have six people on our team and can't seem to hold anything. Throughout the WZ, that same person joins and drops three more times. Then two more people leave near the end. Other people are dropped in but only one stays.

This got me to pondering a few questions.

1) Why do people leave warzones? I
f people only want valor and comms then playing losing WZs is as efficient as dropping out of one and requeuing. This is especially true for Arenas.

2) Should people be rewarded for backfilling warzones? I've noticed this is already the case but it's an unadvertised feature. I've gotten more valor/comms from a backfilling a WZ where I didn't even get 8 medals than from ones where I joined at the beginning and got 8.

3) Is leaving a WZ ever appropriate? Obviously, if your four year old has set the cat on fire, you should probably quit. But under what normal circumstances is leaving a WZ 'okay' in your eyes?

4) Should we call-out players who frequently leave? I've noticed that some players develop a reputation and it gets brought up in Ops chat. Is this an effective way of encouraging people to stay?
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

foxmob
04.27.2014 , 08:50 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MCaliban View Post

f people only want valor and comms then playing losing WZs is as efficient as dropping out of one and requeuing. This is especially true for Arenas.

2) Should people be rewarded for backfilling warzones? I've noticed this is already the case but it's an unadvertised feature. I've gotten more valor/comms from a backfilling a WZ where I didn't even get 8 medals than from ones where I joined at the beginning and got 8.

3) Is leaving a WZ ever appropriate? Obviously, if your four year old has set the cat on fire, you should probably quit. But under what normal circumstances is leaving a WZ 'okay' in your eyes?

4) Should we call-out players who frequently leave? I've noticed that some players develop a reputation and it gets brought up in Ops chat. Is this an effective way of encouraging people to stay?

1) People leave WZs because...
  • they've completed their daily/weekly and are only interested in winning
  • they dislike the map or format (arenas vs. WZs)
  • they dislike a teammate
  • they feel that they have been unjustly thrust into a hopeless situation (including but not limited to good/bad premade concerns)

2) People already ARE rewarded for backfill (automatic medal).
the theory, as espoused by BW, is that the auto-medal will insure that the backfiller receives some valor comms for backfilling into a game in which he cannot even earn one on the battlefield. it's a very lame "reward." imo, backfill should be eliminated in every WZ at a relatively early point, or every potential backfill should have the choice whether to take the pop or remain in queue. that's probably the only "opt out" choice that should exist in this queue system. opting out of a particular map is whiny imo. opting out of backfill, however, is common sense.

Leaving a WZ is appropriate when...
  • you get backfilled into someone else's mess and don't feel like paying for it.
  • you're going to rage on someone
  • real life calls
  • you're tired of the same WZ, teammates, opponents
I consider this list the most opinion-based of the three.

4) Should we call out players who constantly leave?

no. not really. that would be harassment. that's different from mentioning it or trying to talk them into changing their habits.

:2cents:
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

unK_
04.27.2014 , 09:15 AM | #3
I'm not leaving warzones often (and I'm usually staying when backfilled into losing match to see, what's going on and if I can do any good), but one day I left two warzones and I know exactly why I did, so let me describe the cases:
1) NC - nobody goes east, even though we have at least 3 stealth. So I resign and go on my sorc. Enemy comes, I call, nobody comes to help, I get killed, east is lost. I respawn, see that south got captured, so I inspect the situation and what do I see? That everyone went east. Yes, everyone, south remained undefended. At this point I decided to stop bothering and left.
2) CW - nobody goes our side (so I'm trying to go there from mid, when I see nobody's there, but I get stopped by half of the enemy team jumping at me. So I think "whatever, if it gets captured, we can recapture it after we get mid, it usually is quite easy as enemy team has a long way from respawn to this node". Shortly after enemy side gets captured (by enemy), I die and when I'm on the speeder, enemy captures mid. I look on the map and see 4 people at mid, so I decide to quit. (inb4 why you didn't go side in the first place - if I was on my operative/assassin I would, but sorcs are not very good node guards imho, so I try to avoid it).

So long story short - when the behaviour of my team is hopeless, I leave to save myself from further frustration.

Sidenti
04.27.2014 , 09:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MCaliban View Post
I have finally entered the 30-54 bracket with my PvP Shadow and have noticed a serious increase in people leaving the WZ, as well as my being plopped into WZs in progress.

Today, I encountered such a person. I first bumped into them in a 3 vs 3 arena; we lost the first round and they quit, even I considered it a close match. After the arena, I re-queue and ended up in a warzone with them and the other player from the arena. They stand next to us and after a few seconds (before the WZ has started) drop out.

The game goes poorly: we only have six people on our team and can't seem to hold anything. Throughout the WZ, that same person joins and drops three more times. Then two more people leave near the end. Other people are dropped in but only one stays.

In order, by question:

1) Aside from the odd actual random disconnect (it happens), the vast majority leave because they have extremely low frustration thresholds. For them, it's roflstomp or nothing. I blame a combination of poor parenting and steadily deteriorating public schools.

2) I'm not opposed to extra rewards for backfillers, but only if they don't have a history of creating the need for backfilling to occur. In other words, don't reward people trying to scam the system for greater rewards (I'm at a loss as to how, specifically, this can happen, but that's probably because I don't look to cheat and am therefore ignorant of what to look for in that regard.)

3) I'm fine with disconnect happening because of the odd family emergency, but if someone's quitting a bunch claiming their four-year-old's a pyromaniac or something... well, there's just bigger things to deal with than getting into a WZ queue for that person, isn't there? XD

And finally:

4) I'm all about shame and blame. Fire it up! -bp

StrikePrice
04.27.2014 , 02:28 PM | #5
There should be a deserter penalty. Many will argue against this, but their arguments are wrong. It works well in many other MMOs.

Telaan
04.27.2014 , 02:53 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by StrikePrice View Post
There shouldn't be a deserter penalty. Many will argue against this, but their arguments are wrong. It only works in MMOs with cross server queues and a decent population.
Fixed.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Sangrar
04.27.2014 , 03:23 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
[[*]you get backfilled into someone else's mess and don't feel like paying for it.
yeah I know how that feels and its one of the few non-real-life reasons that I would leave a warzone. I backfilled into this novare coast one day, the team I joined was losing horribly, I could see more players leaving, and a guy, was, in all caps, typing "I HATE YOU ALL!!!". The match ended a few seconds later so for that reason I did not leave, though I did get called out at the end by the guy who said I did nothing and I told him "of course I haven't I have only been here a few seconds before this ****storm ended" but he just kept yelling at everyone anyway even though based on his numbers he did poorly himself.
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preferred and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE

WickedImage
04.27.2014 , 03:24 PM | #8
Ive been leaving the new huttball map lately because I dont like it, no other reason really.

I leave when its obvious most of the team is not playing the objectives. I really get irritated by this one.

Too many juggs on opposing team also makes me leave now. Juggs bounding all over while they ragdoll then ravage everything in sight has gotten absolutely absurd. Its downright retarded sometimes and I refuse to play mine and add to what i perceive as a problem right now in WZs.

oh yea....cats on fire? Ill likely leave.
Killer: 87% Achiever: 67% Explorer: 27% Socializer: 20%

StrikePrice
04.27.2014 , 09:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
Fixed.
10 minutes will have 0 effect on the queue duration.

sauerkraut
04.27.2014 , 09:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by StrikePrice View Post
There should be a deserter penalty. Many will argue against this, but their arguments are wrong. It works well in many other MMOs.
Comes in the same patch when BW separates PUGs from Premades.