Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR Part of New "Legends"? Or New Canon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWTOR Part of New "Legends"? Or New Canon?

MiaRB
04.27.2014 , 02:15 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
Legends is not the same as whatever "c-canon" was. Why? Because c-canon was a made-up designation, whereas Legends is official. Furthermore, the major difference prior to this is that Lucas was not creating any new material, but now there will be. Previously, all Star Wars material was consistent with each other, now any new material will be canon and the old, EU stuff will not be. It is a significant difference. If you want to understand it better, please read the multiple threads discussing it.
I do understand it. you don't seem to understand that all new material that comes from the story group is being treated as if it had come from lucas. the story group is what is replacing lucas. the fact that they will be creating ALOT of new 'official' material should be a good thing.

before: lucas was not bound by any EU material. only other EU writers were sort of bound by other EU material.
now: the story group is not bound by any EU material. there will be no EU writers/material. it will all just be Star Wars all in one universe.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Arilou_skiff
04.27.2014 , 03:27 PM | #12
Quote:
Because c-canon was a made-up designation, whereas Legends is official
Actually, C-canon was official, sort of: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon They had an official guy at Lucasarts whose job it was to categorize on what level of canon stuff was in.

Arilou_skiff
04.27.2014 , 03:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
some of you are getting way to hung up on what label is used... legends is the same thing as c-canon.

the story group is now in the role that lucas used to be in, they are they creative boss of the SW universe. since all new material will originate from the story group, it will all be "canon", just as how all stories that originated from lucas were true canon. but, the story group isn't bound to any past EU material any more than lucas was. so it really makes to difference at all if SWTOR is called legends or c-canon because the results are the same. lucas wasn't bound to it and now the story group isn't bound to it.

the really best part of this is from here on out there will be just "the star wars universe", instead of having one universe that is real( what lucas created ) and another universe that isn't real( the EU ).
No, legends is the same level as N-canon. (IE: While tangentially "Star Wars" it is no longer related to the "Star Wars Universe Ongoing Saga (TM)" so to speak.

And it does matter significantly, because while it did not bind Lucas (who honestly, is only responsible for a small part of the ongoing Star Wars stuff being produced) it *did* bind the other producers.

MiaRB
04.27.2014 , 04:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Arilou_skiff View Post
No, legends is the same level as N-canon. (IE: While tangentially "Star Wars" it is no longer related to the "Star Wars Universe Ongoing Saga (TM)" so to speak.

And it does matter significantly, because while it did not bind Lucas (who honestly, is only responsible for a small part of the ongoing Star Wars stuff being produced) it *did* bind the other producers.
legends is all non G + T Canon. from here on out there wont be different types of canon, it will all just be star wars( with a possible exception for games ). unless they change their minds and allow more legends stories to continue.

and it only bound other EU content producers and even then only sort of. so the reality is and always has been, lucas was never bound by the EU. so, why would anyone expect the story group to be bound by EU material? and since all new material will originate from the story group, there will be no EU content producers anyway.

everything that is now legend isn't any less important that it was a month ago. why? because it was never important to begin with as far as limiting any story lucas wanted to tell. and AGAIN, the story group is what is replacing lucas... so even if they left things as they were, all non-G canon would still be in the same position as legends is now, which is, its not anything new material from the story group has to stick to.
can't wait for this game to come out!

ericpeterson
04.27.2014 , 06:40 PM | #15
This sort of discussion belongs in the "What is Canon" thread, or one of the many other threads discussing the merits of the EU.

I'm really trying to just focus on factual evidence, statements, and hypothesis about SWTOR, because right now it literally is probably the ONLY piece of EU (pre-4/25/14) that has been factually declared "no comment" in regards to that question. That Gamespot quote someone linked to is what I'm after in the coming days/weeks here. Because it starts to piece together what may be happening on this sole topic. That is the crux of this.

The merits of canon, and the entire classification system set up by Lucasfilm prior to 4/25/14 is being discussed at length in other threads. Frankly, if you go to the forum on this topic at starwars.wikia.com, you'll find a lot of great discussion from the very people who have created the #1 reference for EU material on the web. And its very mature, not emotional, and a pragmatic discussion about all of these other topics.

Arilou_skiff
04.27.2014 , 07:58 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
legends is all non G + T Canon. from here on out there wont be different types of canon, it will all just be star wars( with a possible exception for games ). unless they change their minds and allow more legends stories to continue.

and it only bound other EU content producers and even then only sort of. so the reality is and always has been, lucas was never bound by the EU. so, why would anyone expect the story group to be bound by EU material? and since all new material will originate from the story group, there will be no EU content producers anyway.

everything that is now legend isn't any less important that it was a month ago. why? because it was never important to begin with as far as limiting any story lucas wanted to tell. and AGAIN, the story group is what is replacing lucas... so even if they left things as they were, all non-G canon would still be in the same position as legends is now, which is, its not anything new material from the story group has to stick to.
You're not getitng it. You're correct in that the status of the old EU could have changed at any moment. It (by and large) didn't, however. Now it has.

It's like saying that "The sky could fall at any moment." and comparing that with the fact that the sky just fell down and crushed everyone. (not that this is a disaster or anything like it, but you're getting my point on potential vs. actual, right?)

Kyneris
04.27.2014 , 09:16 PM | #17
SWTOR is as much canon as it ever was imo. I haven't seen/read anything that would make me believe otherwise. They declared open season on it should they decide to change it, nothing more.
"Should we arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics." - Roger Bacon
This is Vireth Danea, my Sith OC.

TheBentOne
04.27.2014 , 11:42 PM | #18
You know something just occurred to me. If Disney declares this game "Legends" then there is nothing stopping bioware from writing that the empire actually won the war in this universe. Imperial victory suddenly becomes a very possible outcome of the war instead of something we know won't happen.

I really hate the dumping of the EU, like really really really hate it. But these are the thing we now must consider.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

Girdeux
04.27.2014 , 11:49 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post
You know something just occurred to me. If Disney declares this game "Legends" then there is nothing stopping bioware from writing that the empire actually won the war in this universe. Imperial victory suddenly becomes a very possible outcome of the war instead of something we know won't happen.
No, as it will still need to adhere to the movies. Lucasfilm is doing this to make the universe coherent. Doing what you suggested does the complete opposite of what there goal is.

TheBentOne
04.28.2014 , 12:07 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
No, as it will still need to adhere to the movies. Lucasfilm is doing this to make the universe coherent. Doing what you suggested does the complete opposite of what there goal is.
If Disney stick a legends tag on it that means it is no longer part of the same universe and therefore all need for coherency is totally lost. This is the reason why they tossed the entire EU. So they didn't have to try to be coherent with the new movies.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.