Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TOR can go anywhere now that it is non-canon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
TOR can go anywhere now that it is non-canon

siegeshot
04.25.2014 , 11:34 PM | #1
Well so like the title says. TOR is non-canon with Battle of Yavin-era now. So we can do whatever we want. Some suggestions?

I'd love to see the entire TOR written as if Yavin never happens. Have it be canon in and of itself and start in a new direction.

We'll take Dash Rendar and Starkiller back too.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

OldVengeance
04.26.2014 , 02:25 AM | #2
Well it's still in canon with the rest of the "Legends" former EU, which is still based around the old movies.

Liamo
04.28.2014 , 07:09 AM | #3
TOR hasn't been invalidated yet. Looks to be the opposite and it's part of the actual continuity.

HiddenPalm
04.28.2014 , 08:15 AM | #4
wow. Chill out. This whole "Legends" stuff is just their way to justify rushing the movie. They dont have time to check on the lore. And the current script after they booted the last one and the writer who was balls deep in the research, Michael Arndt, is probably not even finished yet. Remember Arndt was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. JJ who just came out of Star Trek had no idea what Arndt was talking about thus they had "creative differences". So now they are rushing everything and are trying to prepare the target market for the tons of lore mistakes we will be seeing in the movie. Dont be surprised if you see a teleporter.

This is why there is this "Legends" thing now. Its just an excuse to justify the coming lore mistakes we will probably see in the movies. Dont let the new owners confuse you. Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.

Basically we can all expect a movie that will not be canon. Which is fine, people do fan films all the the time. And this will be one big glorified fan film.
The Grassroots Jedi Movement
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - King
APPLICATION * www.GrassrootsJedi.org *
We are the very first and only Anti-War Guild for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Sadishist
04.29.2014 , 06:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
wow. Chill out. This whole "Legends" stuff is just their way to justify rushing the movie. They dont have time to check on the lore. And the current script after they booted the last one and the writer who was balls deep in the research, Michael Arndt, is probably not even finished yet. Remember Arndt was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. JJ who just came out of Star Trek had no idea what Arndt was talking about thus they had "creative differences". So now they are rushing everything and are trying to prepare the target market for the tons of lore mistakes we will be seeing in the movie. Dont be surprised if you see a teleporter.

This is why there is this "Legends" thing now. Its just an excuse to justify the coming lore mistakes we will probably see in the movies. Dont let the new owners confuse you. Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.

Basically we can all expect a movie that will not be canon. Which is fine, people do fan films all the the time. And this will be one big glorified fan film.
Actually Legends ain't canon anymore because it's dead now: no more new books, movies, games, etc will be created on Legends (unless you count fanfics). TOR will be the last content of its kind. New ones will be created for the real one.

QuinMantha
04.29.2014 , 06:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.
I'm going to vent a personal feeling here and leave it at that.

I. Don't. Want. Diet Soda.

And I especially don't like being told that what I've been 'drinking' since I was a child isn't the genuine article. I gave them my money, I enjoyed their stories, I went through every twist and turn, watched the new 'brands' and 'flavors' come out, liked some of them, and shook my head at others.

If I'm shilling out money to buy what was packaged as Dr. Pepper, consistently, constantly, for years on years, enjoying the flavor and allowing others to enjoy their own, I don't want to be told that what I was drinking all those years, consistently, constantly, wasn't Dr. Pepper after all. The 'real' Dr. Pepper will taste a little like Diet Dr. Pepper now, though. Maybe. Trust us.

This is either a terrible analogy, or I'm taking this way too emotionally right now. I'm betting the latter, but there's still probably a grain of truth in there.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

HiddenPalm
04.30.2014 , 10:02 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Actually Legends ain't canon anymore because it's dead now: no more new books, movies, games, etc will be created on Legends (unless you count fanfics). TOR will be the last content of its kind. New ones will be created for the real one.
You will find not much is going to be rewritten. Why? Because this whole legends thing is a lazy justification for the lore mistakes in the coming rushed movie, that still doesnt have a cast (though its happening) nor is the script finished. Even the executives at Lucas Films are saying they don't know what is what and confused about SWTOR, etc. The only part of the EU they're officially scrapping for now is the part that takes place during the new movies. Do you see now? There is nothing in preparation to take the place of the EU. Legends is a corporate gimmick with no weight.

Basically what ever interferes with JJ's rushed vision, is not going to be canon. It boils down to that.

So when you say nothing will be written for it, that is not true. Star Wars stories will always go on, with new writers with some of the same writers, etc. And nothing is going to change, not even Korriban. What is in danger is the timeline of the movies. Why? Because JJ fired the script writer and barely had enough time to study up after Star Trek and Robert Iger could care less as long as it does well on the first week of release.

On another note, everything else coming out now, is marketing for the new movies, from the new novels, the children books, to the rushed mobile games. It's all rushed material because it's marketing. And it's limited marketing, because Robert refused to give Kathleen that year extension after they fired Michael, who was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. The next marketing will be material during the era of the movies. Star Wars will be rebooted as prequels probably by 2020. So in a way, you may be correct in that no more stories will be written for the EU. But that will change the second Iger wakes up and realizes there is a market for that, as the fans moan and groan more.

It's gonna be an interesting ride.
The Grassroots Jedi Movement
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - King
APPLICATION * www.GrassrootsJedi.org *
We are the very first and only Anti-War Guild for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

joshbyrd
05.01.2014 , 04:24 PM | #8
Quote:

^This. The expanded universe is one of the things that really enamored me to Star Wars when I was a kid. I thought it was fascinating that it had it's own history and lore, that the films were only a small thread in a great fascinating tapestry spanning tens of thousands of years. In some way, the Expanded Universe was by fans, for fans, and it added to the mystique of the star wars stories as a living, breathing modern mythology. Disney deciding to "Death-Star" the expanded universe has somewhat stripped it of that magic, it is now just another intellectual property, another notch in Disney's belt. On a lighter note, I realize the stories themselves are not going anywhere and they will always be there for us to enjoy. Just my two cents.

Cowabung
05.02.2014 , 03:54 AM | #9
I say Bioware scrap this game and make a KOTOR 3 with Obsidian helping.

antwillgreen
05.02.2014 , 08:53 AM | #10
Honestly its probably going to be still anyways, we'll have to see but it can be pretty certain they can fit things in with whatever they have planned...
Ya you can guess what finger i'll be having up at your idea of what the "Real Star Wars" is.