Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

WortThree
12.23.2011 , 09:24 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFatalist View Post
I think, actually, we might be missing the possibility that there are other reasons they would want subscriptions to be in the queue.

Distribution of PayPal vs GameCard vs CreditCard payments. There are financial ramifications of all of these (cost of printing game cards, vendor costs of other methods). I doubt they have data to accurately project their needs/costs in all those areas without getting abeat on subscription method. They would likely need to do this ASAP as the game and its development is operating in the red until the first subscription money starts coming in. (Sales on the software alone won't cover costs.) They need to start the work of maximizing revenue until the game is profitable (or to figure out if it won't be.)

All that said, they SHOULD have planned for the traffic, especially with the liklihood that a larger percentage of TOR players than usual are likely first-time MMOers who are joining because of brand devotion. The need to enter payment information early, though expressed in game client, would not have been enough for a large percentage of people who would likely have still thought they were good until bundled free play was over. The out come of how that would shake out should have been obvious.

I've no issue with the fact they want the information now. But they didn't handle the gathering of that info as well as it could have been. That said, hiccups are expected.
People have been flamed for lesser responses.

Good post.

My only rebuttal is that the burden of information gathering does not lie with Bioware. It lies with the consumer. If there are first time MMOers, then I would think they would need to do all the research they can on other critically acclaimed MMOs like World of Warcraft, for instance.

That being said, there will always be a minority that will push against the majority. Many are happy and just fine with inputting their information. They also do it in a timely manner. Many of the people on here today starting threads like the OP are either trolls, people who aren't playing the game right now, or people at work (like me) that get on here to help the newbies and easy questions that don't require a Bioware employee.
Standard Edition Pre-ordered
Vengeful Malice

RogDodge
12.23.2011 , 09:40 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post

Good post.

My only rebuttal is that the burden of information gathering does not lie with Bioware. It lies with the consumer. If there are first time MMOers, then I would think they would need to do all the research they can on other critically acclaimed MMOs like World of Warcraft, for instance.

That being said, there will always be a minority that will push against the majority. Many are happy and just fine with inputting their information. They also do it in a timely manner. Many of the people on here today starting threads like the OP are either trolls, people who aren't playing the game right now, or people at work (like me) that get on here to help the newbies and easy questions that don't require a Bioware employee.
I agree 100%. The portion that I highlighted also shows much about the forum population. I think it would be safe to say that those who post on the forums are the minority, as most people don't really care and just want to play the game. There are those out there, like me, who loves to read the forums and see what everyone else thinks.

In the forum minority subset there is also those who are also a minority for one side and a majority for another.

I also love posting to help those, but some forum posts just make me wish that it would display every posters name, address and other info so they can stop trolling and hiding behind forum anonimity.

Great post WortThree!

DarthFatalist
12.23.2011 , 09:44 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post

Good post.

Oh you know-- I don't disagree with that at all. I just think from a business perspective, it would have made sense to make some assumptions about it. They might have done so as well, and realized most people would just be irritated but keep trying and go on playing.

I have no dog in the race, was just trying to look at points from a business perspective. I think they need to gather subscription data ASAP, and I think I would've made the assumption it would be better to handle the server traffic differently by breaking up the due date for entering the info.

But like I said, I don't care so much. Just think the people complaining about having to subscribe aren't considering the possibility there IS business necessity around it. I don't think they're doing it just for the sake of doing it, per say.

loyis
12.23.2011 , 10:07 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
First question: If I'm going along with a recurring subscription, and I have 27 days left on any given month, and I decide to cancel, are you (the company), going to take away the 27 days I have left? I think the answer is obviously 'No'.

Question is, how is this different than when I have 27 days of play left with my original purchase of the deluxe digital edition ($75)? Wouldn't it have been less painful for all of us if you had just let us play our initial 30 days, and prevented anyone from logging in if they have not set up a subscription BY THE END of that 30 day window? This would stagger the traffic on the website over a month for people creating their subs. AND, they are entitled to that original 30 days of play that is advertised with the purchase of the game.

Instead you forced EVERY player to have to access the website yesterday after finding they couldn't login. And after waiting to get onto the website (unheard of having a web queue), the pages that display for setting up a sub were not working properly.

Took me 4 hours to get it straigtened out. Whoever made this decision should be FIRED.

What if I go and cancel today the sub I was forced to create yesterday? Gonna take away the 26 days I paid for when I bought the game?

A very smooth launch went in the can yesterday. Can you say 'FULL REFUND'?

I totally agree with everything you said 100%
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Standard Edition already registered...