Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

BigBadEdward
12.23.2011 , 08:40 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post
Go into Ford or Chevy and tell them that "just because assembly lines are the way things are done doesn't mean you have to do things that way".

Industry standards are there for a reason. If Bioware wants to follow a standard that has been set long before its time, then that is their choice.

You already stated the answer to your complaint:

"you can damm well bet that a HUGE percentage of them are going to wait till the last minute."

That sounds like it's not Bioware's fault. That sounds more like it's the peoples' fault. Just sayin....
While your assembly line analogy is close, it doesn't quite fit this situation. There is a big difference between doing something because it's the best and most efficient or doing it for no other reason than that everyone else does it that way. There is no reason for requiring a paid subscription other than the fact that most people will forget to cancel before it renews.

To the second point. If a company knows that it's customers will do things a certain way, they should be prepared for that. If you stick your hand in a lions mouth, you shouldn't be surprised, or blame the lion, when it gets bitten off.

Calhoun_Solo
12.23.2011 , 08:40 AM | #22
So basically, let me get this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A majority of you people waited until the last minute to input your code and sign up for a subscription so you could milk every hour of free time out of the system. You (unwittingly) assumed that "nobody else will have this awesome idea!". I mean, it's full proof. Right? Then, when the wee hours that are left are rolling in, you decide "Ok. It's time to put my code in and give Bioware their money.".

*Gasp* Wait a minute!

The website has a queue? You mean, I am not the only person to be on the website right now? What is this "Controlling traffic" technique? You would think that servers would be able to handle millions of people all at once! Wait a minute!

I have a great idea!

Let me spam refresh on my web browser and try and access the site multiple times. I will ping the site every time which should push all those other people off the site! That should work! Wait a minute! It doesn't seem to be working. All the other millions of people are doing the same thing! Wait a minute! That means instead of millions of people connecting once to the website, now there are probably around 20 million connections per second to the server? Wait a minute! Servers in 2011 can't handle 20 million connections per second?

--Ok, in all seriousness. Website queues are very very common. If you've never set up/run a server with large amount of traffic (by large, I mean millions of people accessing your website throughout the day), then you can't honestly know how intricate things can get.

By all means, go get your refund, and go enjoy a more established MMO/game of your choice. Quit your QQing and take some action instead of pulling the forum trolls into your thread and having them pat you on the back and letting you cry on their shoulder. This thread doesn't ask for any help. Instead, it's openly inviting rage responses from people saying "Yeah, this game sucks!" and "BW get your stuff together omg omg omg". Seriously.
Dude, I LOVE guys like you. You make it so I don't need to post at all, cause you make all my thoughts into words for me! Keep it up, and for the people who he's speaking to, have you NEVER played an MMO before? He's got it bang on!
Kyphus, Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Covenant Server

Mortalitus - Join us or be destroyed!"

Calhoun_Solo
12.23.2011 , 08:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BigBadEdward View Post

I also agree that it's pretty much BS that you have to sign up for a subscription to play the INCLUDED 30 days of play time. Just because everyone does it that way doesn't mean everyone has to do it that way.
Wow. Really? That's pretty astute...

Look at it this way everyone:

Welcome to a big business MMO. The company does business this way, cause they wish to make money. You set up your sub, play your 30 days, and leave before they charge you...no problem.

If you choose to stay though, then welcome to the big boys MMO.

I'm in sales, and I work for a pretty big company, and this is the way we've done it, will do it, and it (in essence) weeds out the people who are just in it as "tirekickers". If you are truly interested in seeing what this game is about, provide your subscription, and simply cancel before the 30 days is up. They won't take it away from you.

WortThree
12.23.2011 , 08:50 AM | #24
While your assembly line analogy is close, it doesn't quite fit this situation. There is a big difference between doing something because it's the best and most efficient or doing it for no other reason than that everyone else does it that way. There is no reason for requiring a paid subscription other than the fact that most people will forget to cancel before it renews.

To the second point. If a company knows that it's customers will do things a certain way, they should be prepared for that. If you stick your hand in a lions mouth, you shouldn't be surprised, or blame the lion, when it gets bitten off.
What you fail to understand is:
A.) This is a form of entertainment. It would be different if you were required to pay for this like you are required to pay for a mortgage. This game does not require you to purchase it to sustain your life. So, in the entertainment industry, it is very natural to go with a model that is highly successful. That is standard economics. Maintenance costs money. If you think Bioware is going to maintain an awesome, A+ game for free, then you should really go back to school and learn that workers (like you and me) require a steady paycheck. If companies don't make the money to pay their workers, then lay offs happen. If lay offs happen, well....just look at our economy right now.

B.) Your lion analogy didn't quite do it. First of all, the company is really the lion. The people (consumers) are the hand. It has never been the other way around. People make the lion bite them all the time by doing stupid things like throwing trash at the lion. (btw, that's a metaphor for waiting till the last friggin minute to put your code in).

To my point above: Entertainment is not owed to us. They produced a game and put it on the market. Get rid of your (not you in particular) self entitlement and realize that the planets do not revolve around you.
Standard Edition Pre-ordered
Vengeful Malice

Calhoun_Solo
12.23.2011 , 08:53 AM | #25

B.) Your lion analogy didn't quite do it. First of all, the company is really the lion. The people (consumers) are the hand. It has never been the other way around. People make the lion bite them all the time by doing stupid things like throwing trash at the lion. (btw, that's a metaphor for waiting till the last friggin minute to put your code in).

To my point above: Entertainment is not owed to us. They produced a game and put it on the market. Get rid of your (not you in particular) self entitlement and realize that the planets do not revolve around you.
OMG..I was just in the middle of this exact thought. I now have a bro-mance with you.

Seffrid
12.23.2011 , 08:59 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Koutetsu View Post
Everyone had plenty of time to redeem their code and set up a subscription before the 22nd.

Now, I was also one of those people who waited until the last minute and it was quite a hassle trying to set up my payment, but that's entirely my own fault. It was obvious the site was going to be loaded with people though.
Thank you for having the decency to accept responsibility for your own actions and to express it in such a straightforward way.

There are some on this board who could learn a lot from you. Kudos.

lightspeed
12.23.2011 , 09:03 AM | #27
The only reason you have to put a credit card to start is they know full well that even if a person decides to quit they will probably forget and the company will get the money anyway.

There is no need to input a CC first, no matter what fantasy analogy you want to use. Early access is a perfect example. I was able to play for 7 days free with no CC or product code, if the first 30 days are suppose to be free there is no reason you couldn't just have people put n a product code and soldier on. It's that plain and simple.

Then at the 25th day if they wanted to they could send out an email reminding you that a CC was due in the next X amount of days, a very simple thing to do in this day and age.
Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything. JH

WortThree
12.23.2011 , 09:06 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
The only reason you have to put a credit card to start is they know full well that even if a person decides to quit they will probably forget and the company will get the money anyway.

There is no need to input a CC first, no matter what fantasy analogy you want to use. Early access is a perfect example. I was able to play for 7 days free with no CC or product code, if the first 30 days are suppose to be free there is no reason you couldn't just have people put n a product code and soldier on. It's that plain and simple.

Then at the 25th day if they wanted to they could send out an email reminding you that a CC was due in the next X amount of days, a very simple thing to do in this day and age.
But by your thought process, then that would create more work for them. Why should they have to be the ones to remind you to input your CC info? Why should Bioware be responsible for your time? They aren't charging you any type of money whatsoever until 1/20/12. I fail to see the problem? Are you just arguing to argue? Do you like a good debate? It's pretty hard to debate something that has so many workarounds and logical responses.

Quit being the kid that cries because he didn't get a blue lollipop instead of the icky green one. Shut up. You got candy.
Standard Edition Pre-ordered
Vengeful Malice

Blaktoe
12.23.2011 , 09:09 AM | #29
to the OP: If you had just done the process the day before it would have cost you a whole 50 cents. **** and move along. Your arrogance and entitlement disgusts me.

DarthFatalist
12.23.2011 , 09:14 AM | #30

I think, actually, we might be missing the possibility that there are other reasons they would want subscriptions to be in the queue.

Distribution of PayPal vs GameCard vs CreditCard payments. There are financial ramifications of all of these (cost of printing game cards, vendor costs of other methods). I doubt they have data to accurately project their needs/costs in all those areas without getting abeat on subscription method. They would likely need to do this ASAP as the game and its development is operating in the red until the first subscription money starts coming in. (Sales on the software alone won't cover costs.) They need to start the work of maximizing revenue until the game is profitable (or to figure out if it won't be.)

All that said, they SHOULD have planned for the traffic, especially with the liklihood that a larger percentage of TOR players than usual are likely first-time MMOers who are joining because of brand devotion. The need to enter payment information early, though expressed in game client, would not have been enough for a large percentage of people who would likely have still thought they were good until bundled free play was over. The out come of how that would shake out should have been obvious.

I've no issue with the fact they want the information now. But they didn't handle the gathering of that info as well as it could have been. That said, hiccups are expected.