Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
What happened yesterday was unacceptable...

Supertek
12.23.2011 , 07:44 AM | #11
You do not get billed until your 30 days are up. I dont see what the big deal is. You should have set it up before 12/20 like the majority of us did.

Every mmo I've played has been this way.

BigBadEdward
12.23.2011 , 07:54 AM | #12
I agree with the original poster, the fiasco yesterday was unacceptable. I do this for a living (support web sites with large populations) and while it's damm near impossible to predict how people will do things, you can damm well bet that a HUGE percentage of them are going to wait till the last minute. BioWare and EA should have been prepared, there is no excuse for this failure.

I also agree that it's pretty much BS that you have to sign up for a subscription to play the INCLUDED 30 days of play time. Just because everyone does it that way doesn't mean everyone has to do it that way.

Wootie
12.23.2011 , 08:09 AM | #13
Yes that was unaccaptable yesterday. They could have simply paid akamai for additional bandwidth. So is everything else going on (queues, crashes, no forum search function, lack of customer service, etc. etc.). It's simply coming down to profit over customer service or support for the community. Also, due to the community disruptions causes by the ongoing crashes and queues effecting a lot of people, Bioware should allow free character and whole/entire guild transfers to less populated servers. I am so disappointed that I'm on the brink of giving up on tor completely after the 3+ year wait. They are making money hand over fist... add some more customer service reps, gm's and servers/bandwidth and start transfering toons and guilds if needed. FYI - my main issue is constant crashes:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=43204

WortThree
12.23.2011 , 08:11 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by BigBadEdward View Post
I agree with the original poster, the fiasco yesterday was unacceptable. I do this for a living (support web sites with large populations) and while it's damm near impossible to predict how people will do things, you can damm well bet that a HUGE percentage of them are going to wait till the last minute. BioWare and EA should have been prepared, there is no excuse for this failure.

I also agree that it's pretty much BS that you have to sign up for a subscription to play the INCLUDED 30 days of play time. Just because everyone does it that way doesn't mean everyone has to do it that way.
Go into Ford or Chevy and tell them that "just because assembly lines are the way things are done doesn't mean you have to do things that way".

Industry standards are there for a reason. If Bioware wants to follow a standard that has been set long before its time, then that is their choice.

You already stated the answer to your complaint:

"you can damm well bet that a HUGE percentage of them are going to wait till the last minute."

That sounds like it's not Bioware's fault. That sounds more like it's the peoples' fault. Just sayin....
Standard Edition Pre-ordered
Vengeful Malice

Koutetsu
12.23.2011 , 08:13 AM | #15
Everyone had plenty of time to redeem their code and set up a subscription before the 22nd.

Now, I was also one of those people who waited until the last minute and it was quite a hassle trying to set up my payment, but that's entirely my own fault. It was obvious the site was going to be loaded with people though.

DarkMeister
12.23.2011 , 08:13 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wootie View Post
Yes that was unaccaptable yesterday. They could have simply paid akamai for additional bandwidth. So is everything else going on (queues, crashes, no forum search function, lack of customer service, etc. etc.). It's simply coming down to profit over customer service or support for the community. Also, due to the community disruptions causes by the ongoing crashes and queues effecting a lot of people, Bioware should allow free character and whole/entire guild transfers to less populated servers. I am so disappointed that I'm on the brink of giving up on tor completely after the 3+ year wait. They are making money hand over fist... add some more customer service reps, gm's and servers/bandwidth and start transfering toons and guilds if needed. FYI - my main issue is constant crashes:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=43204
Never been around for an MMO launch have you? This is the smoothest one I have ever been in. Have not had one server crash.

There are going to be queues to start off. They WILL up the population caps, just give them time. We are, what, 4 days into the official launch?

shananigan
12.23.2011 , 08:16 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post
So basically, let me get this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A majority of you people waited until the last minute to input your code and sign up for a subscription so you could milk every hour of free time out of the system. You (unwittingly) assumed that "nobody else will have this awesome idea!". I mean, it's full proof. Right? Then, when the wee hours that are left are rolling in, you decide "Ok. It's time to put my code in and give Bioware their money.".

*Gasp* Wait a minute!

The website has a queue? You mean, I am not the only person to be on the website right now? What is this "Controlling traffic" technique? You would think that servers would be able to handle millions of people all at once! Wait a minute!

I have a great idea!

Let me spam refresh on my web browser and try and access the site multiple times. I will ping the site every time which should push all those other people off the site! That should work! Wait a minute! It doesn't seem to be working. All the other millions of people are doing the same thing! Wait a minute! That means instead of millions of people connecting once to the website, now there are probably around 20 million connections per second to the server? Wait a minute! Servers in 2011 can't handle 20 million connections per second?

--Ok, in all seriousness. Website queues are very very common. If you've never set up/run a server with large amount of traffic (by large, I mean millions of people accessing your website throughout the day), then you can't honestly know how intricate things can get.

By all means, go get your refund, and go enjoy a more established MMO/game of your choice. Quit your QQing and take some action instead of pulling the forum trolls into your thread and having them pat you on the back and letting you cry on their shoulder. This thread doesn't ask for any help. Instead, it's openly inviting rage responses from people saying "Yeah, this game sucks!" and "BW get your stuff together omg omg omg". Seriously.
LOL win, one of the best posts I have seen in a while +9000
Do or do not, there is no try.

MylzDavis
12.23.2011 , 08:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkMeister View Post
Never been around for an MMO launch have you? This is the smoothest one I have ever been in. Have not had one server crash.

There are going to be queues to start off. They WILL up the population caps, just give them time. We are, what, 4 days into the official launch?
Ya forget, people dont care about the community as a whole, its all about them and theirs..

the universe is revolving around them

RogDodge
12.23.2011 , 08:20 AM | #19
Ahh another one of these threads...

This game is not a right.. if you don't like it you don't have to play OR pay for it.

Take your game back and ask for a refund, if the retailer will not let you return it then that is between you and them. I personally am tired of everyone complaining about something that no one forced them to buy and is forceing you to play for.

Have a great day, and if you enjoy the game have fun playing!

Dilkin
12.23.2011 , 08:29 AM | #20
FIne, please cancel. One less person in line
Playing MMOs since 1996.